OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Falcon.. Yes, No?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Shay_ © Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Falcon.. Yes, No?
    Posted: September/03/2010 at 12:46
Is it worth the risk to buy a Falcon Menace anymore? I've heard of the QC going down the toilet. I hope I'm wrong, since I'd like to get one, I have a question though. 

How much adjustment do these scopes have? Primarily the 4-14? How is the tracking?

Thanks

Shay
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 15:14
The Falcon Menace is an okay scope, but since they only have a five year warr I would not purchase one. The lack of a life time warr to me shows a lack of confidence in their own product. There are too many other scopes out there that are just as good if not better for the same cost and have a life time warr. Vortex comes to mind as one choice.
_Shay_ © View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Shay_ © Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 19:04
Maybe i'll get another Super Sniper, they have a lot of adjustment and good glass and tracking... I just need a variable on the 308 since I'll be using it for hunting as well, 10-250 yards for hunting and steel out to 600-800, maybe 1k and a  little past.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 19:07
Shay, Buddy, Welcome to the OT.    RB
Stay with the SS
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 19:16
Shay, have you said hello to TexGal338 today?

Edited by Steelbenz - September/03/2010 at 19:35
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
learjet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 19:29

i bought a menace about a year ago, it did well on my 300wsm, traacked perfect, decent glass etc etc...then, when it got cold, i drove 3hrs to the nearest 1k range. when i got setup, i turned the power ring, and the reticle turned as well. i packed up and drove 3hrs back home. the scope was replaced under warranty, but i never even opened the box, i sold it, and bought my 3rd super sniper.

_Shay_ © View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Shay_ © Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 19:40
I think I'll stay with the SS, maybe get an offset red dot mount if I need to make a shot closer in...

Maybe soon SWFA will make a variable before I'm ready to purchase the scope, and if not, oh well, I'll just run with the 10x.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 22:38
They already make a 3X9
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 19:40

I have bought 2 of these and have had no issues after 2 years and a few thousand rounds at ranges from 100-1000yrds...  They are very repeatable and continue to astonish me for the 500- 700 or so to pick one up... It is not bright glass but is respectable some color fringing as with the SS and the edges at the highest power are a little blurred but that is expected at the highest power the center is fine and the MOD mil-dot is dead on... WARRANTIES even IF LIFETIME do not impress me and should in know way sway your pick... If you buy it from SWFA I am sure they will support you...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - September/11/2010 at 16:34
No one
VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 20:45
I had the same question not too long ago. Reviews on Falcons are generally good but not good enough, besides, 5 year warranty now tells me they are not 100% confident with their products...
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2010 at 09:36
Welcome to the OT Shea!

+@ with a SS,one of the best warranties on the market.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2010 at 21:04
had two of them - both lost elevation the higher you granked and it started at about 4 Mils ...

IE tracked accurately up to about 3.5 or 4 mils elevation ... then it shrank ... 5.5 mils on the knob got you 4.8 actually.  For the money you get a lot of features but both of the ones I had both dropped off.  When on a 20MOA mount the most I could get when fully dialed up was 7.3 mils (as fired) ...

You get what you pay for - get a SS 3-9 FFP or save up - my thoughts on the matter.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 10:17
Originally posted by _Shay_ © _Shay_ © wrote:

Maybe i'll get another Super Sniper, they have a lot of adjustment and good glass and tracking... I just need a variable on the 308 since I'll be using it for hunting as well, 10-250 yards for hunting and steel out to 600-800, maybe 1k and a  little past.

I spent last winter hunting with a 3-9 SS. I was using it in snowy weather and low light at times. The SS is an excellent choice for hunting. I never thought I would have that opinion of a tactical scope.

http://opticstalk.com/39x42-ss-a-hunters-perspective_topic24725.html
Doug
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 15:49
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I spent last winter hunting with a 3-9 SS. I was using it in snowy weather and low light at times. The SS is an excellent choice for hunting. I never thought I would have that opinion of a tactical scope.

What IS a Tactical Scope?  What features seperate a Tactical Scope from a Hunting Scope?
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 16:44
Advertisement. lol
Gerald Baker
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 20:07
Originally posted by Magnumdood Magnumdood wrote:

Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

What IS a Tactical Scope?  What features seperate a Tactical Scope from a Hunting Scope?

Exposed Big Turrents for use with Gloves
Zero Stops
Mil-Dot Reticles
Usually FFP
Side Focus instead of AO

Do I buy into the marketing? But I do like FFP optics all the way.  We used to joke all the time about gear we would dream up ... just market it as "Tactical" and "MOLLE Compatiable" and we could sell it by the truckload.  Bottom Line ... the desired application of the Rifle will dictate the optic and its features ... my two cents.  Sniper Central and Snipers Hide have debates raging weekly over the whole SFP vs FFP.  Its a moot point really - each has a use.

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 22:04
+1 524,If the glass is the same & the tube is the same I think the only difference would be the turrets & the reticle.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic