OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

R700 Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R700 Project
    Posted: September/02/2010 at 23:18
Seeking scope advice, I'm building a R700 .308 project, yes the one I previously asked about, but now I have more options and would like some input from folks who have more shooting and scope experience than I.

I plan to shoot mostly from prone from 0-500 yards with some 800 yard max shots(maybe), I have been thinking that I want to go Variable, FFP, .10 mil adjustments.

These are the scopes I'm looking at
Assume these two cost the same, how does the glass compare? are they comparable structurally?
- The SS 3-9x42 FFP -- it has a somewhat limited power range but I like the reviews
- The Bushnell 4200 3-12x44 FFP -- more magnification range, good reviews

Or for a little more money..... could get a good condition one for about $900
-The Leupold 3.5-10x40 LRT M1 TMR -- I like the TMR Its FFP its .1 mil adjustment ect..

I haven't been able to look through any of these scopes, but I need to hear from those who have, and hear what they like. I am kinda split between the Bushnell and the SS it would depend on which people think is clearer. I wouldn't mind making the Jump to the Leupold if the optical gains are "noticeable" i.e. Worth the extra cash $600 to $900

Thank you for any input.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2010 at 23:45
The Leupold you list has .25 MOA adjustments.  The M5 knobs are the ones that will have .1 Mil adjustments.  I don't think they exist on that scope yet though.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 00:18
I would go for a bit more magnification for the longer shots.
All depends on the size of the target, say steel plates vs paper bulls off course.
You can allways crank a 16X down to 9X , but you cannot crank a 9X up!!
space_weazel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 01:56
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

The Leupold you list has .25 MOA adjustments.  The M5 knobs are the ones that will have .1 Mil adjustments.  I don't think they exist on that scope yet though.

You are correct I missed that....
Well how bout' it pros and cons of MOA vs Mil adjustments?
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 06:20
If your not in a hurry you might want to take a look at the Vortex PST 4-16x50 it will have all the features & price range you seek.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2010 at 02:25
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

If your not in a hurry you might want to take a look at the Vortex PST 4-16x50 it will have all the features & price range you seek.

When are those supposed to be available?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 07:23
there has been no firm release date yet.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 23:37
Can anyone comment clarity and brightness wise on the Bushnell vs. the Super Sniper?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 06:31

IMO the list of clarity would be.

Bushnell 3200's
Super Sniper 16
Bushnell 4200's and SS 10X
Super Sniper 3-9

These are scopes I have owned personally and can compare.  That said the 4200's and 6500's  use the same glass, The 3-9 and 10XHD use similar glass as well

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 07:35
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

IMO the list of clarity would be.

Bushnell 3200's
Super Sniper 16
Bushnell 4200's and SS 10X
Super Sniper 3-9

These are scopes I have owned personally and can compare.  That said the 4200's and 6500's  use the same glass, The 3-9 and 10XHD use similar glass as well

listed in order  good
                        better
                        best

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
fiveshotdot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiveshotdot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 09:28
i recently bought a bushnell 4200 6-24X50 with the 30mm tube and tactical knobs. i love it. the clarity is superb and it took 5 shots to get it sighted in. the tracking and function worked flawlessly.  
Instagram ID tactidad
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 12:07
I think for the distances you are looking to shoot the Bushnell might be a little more helpful. Both are great choices in the sub-$1000 price range. There are too many other scopes that do not have the complete combination of FFP and turrets that match the reticle.

Sidenote: You can always crank a high mag. scope down, e.g. from 16X to 9X. But there aren't any inexpensive scopes I know of that allow you to crank down to 3X that have that kind of high end. I'd take a 3-9X any day over a scope starting at 6X and it would have to be something really nice to get me to consider 5X as a low end. 4X...not ideal, but I'd consider it. Surprisingly often, high magnification is less usable because of an unstable hold or mirage. Even more often, there's a need for field of view and that's where a 2, 2.5 or 3X low end really helps. If I knew I'd never take a shot over 400 I'd love to have one of the new true 1-8X scopes.
Reaction time is a factor...
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 15:42

I agree with Jono & that's what makes the versatility of the Bushnell Elite 6500 that much better than the 4200 also 6500 is 1/4 moa.I'ts nice having that 2.5!

I beleive the Bushnell glass is made at the LOW factory in Japan.Putting my 6500 side by side with my SS10X HD I personally can't destinguish any diffference in the glass!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 19:14
Thanks for the help guys.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic