OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How many manuals?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many manuals?
    Posted: September/02/2010 at 17:44
If someone was to get into reloading, I understand they need a manual to look up the recipe. Do they need more than one manual? Is it just redundant information? IE: Hornady reloading manual and Speer manual.---BBoy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2010 at 17:48
I'd get at least 2.   Eventually you'll probably want more.  I keep updated manuals of Nosler, Speer, Barnes, and Hornady.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2010 at 17:50
There is a lot of good data online as well.  Many of the powder and bullet makers actually have data on their sites.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2010 at 18:30
i have 5 of them and at least that many websites i use all the time.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2010 at 19:02
My favorite is the Hornady manual, but I think the Lee manual is probably the best all around choice and its inexpensive to boot.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2010 at 20:09
the nosler manual is my favorite they push the limits on a lot of loads.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2010 at 20:56
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

There is a lot of good data online as well.  Many of the powder and bullet makers actually have data on their sites.  

My favorite on line source is Hodgdon's load data.

Tom

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 07:13
reloading manuals outling the best overview of the concept on reloading are the best and Brownells has a good selection. After that they are pretty well useless if you are shooting and reloading alot and especially if you have gone to progressive machines, were the learning curve is much steeper.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 07:39
I have 3. hodgon, hornaday, speer. All are the newer books but I also get ideas from the web and compaire to see what I want the starting point to be. some books might have the powder you want to use and some might not.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 08:06
Site and manual info differs.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 08:47
I use Speer, Sierra, and Hornady manuals, as well as any other info I can find online or elsewhere.
If I'm working up a new load I average the starting load and the maximum load from as many manuals I can. This gives me a narrower range from start to maximum loads, and I'm not as worried about MY maximum load having excessive preasure. There are exceptions of course, but more information is better than not enough.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 10:55
Originally posted by Gunshow75 Gunshow75 wrote:

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

My favorite on line source is Hodgdon's load data.

Yep that is all I use since I just use Hodgdon powder.  It is a great site
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 22:57
I would suggest you buy a book by the bullet manufacturer you like. Most of them have a good section on how to reload when starting out. Then you can get info on the powder you like. Depends if you are going to be shooting a bunch of different powders and a bunch of different bullets. 

I was lucky the first powder I started with was the sh** for me. Varget. 2nd Bullet was good. I have since changes and refined bullet selection but since I stayed in the same weight ranges my powder load has never changed. But My rifle shoots best and well below max.
Gerald Baker
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 08:49
I first asked for advice from people I trust to be competent, then checked out a book from the library (somewhat dated but covered the basics well). Later on, I just used the sites like Hodgdon's or Nosler's reloading sections to get starting data. 6mmbr.com has some really good info, including ladder testing. The important thing is to heed the advice to start out at minimum loads. Every rifle is different. Work your way up and learn to spot pressure signs (stiff bolt lift/extraction, bulging, flattened primers). That's kind of the tip of the iceberg but handloading is rewarding.
Reaction time is a factor...
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:28
I have the Hornady and Speer Manuals, and get info online as well.  Get great results with near max loads listed in the Hornady manual, but every gun is different, so start low and work up.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 21:16
You can also get one of the loadbooks wich is caliber specific if you were only loading for 1 or 2 cartridges, they compile load data from most manufacturers and publish them in one book.
I would still select a bullet that might suite your needs best and pick up the manual for that bullet, because of the necessary info and educational purposes contained in the manuals.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 07:58
I also have 5 manuels,my favorite is the Hornady 2 book version from 3yrs. ago.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic