OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pocket Binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitthespot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pocket Binoculars
    Posted: September/02/2010 at 14:23
I've decided to purchase a pair of "pocket binoculars"  I have a pair of 8 x 30 Swarovski's but these are not small enough for non-viewing hikes and fishing expeditions where I may want to just glance at something for a minute.   The last hike I went on, another guy and myself was trying to identify a bird up in a tree.  I could have used something for 30 seconds at most during the whole 2 hour hike.  This is why I definitely want something pocketable.  I have read the articles and reviews of people who start out wanting pocket binoculars and end up with something bigger because there just better.  But again I have very specific criteria and want something I can stuff in a pocket and forget about it unless I need it.

It seems like every manufacturer has a pocket binocular in one form or another and I have no way of looking through everyones.   I would like something in the 7-8 power range and probably 24mm objective lense.  I think a 8x24 with an exit pupil of 3 would be OK for my needs.  I am kind of shying away from the alpha's because none of them make anything better than an 8 x 20 which already narrows the exit pupil to 2.5.  I know better glass will compensate but I think 24mm objective is better.

So for those of you who have looked through a few or own pocket binoculars, what do you recommend?
I like the Minox BD 8 x24 for around $200 but don't know if there any good or how they compare to others.

Budget wise I don't care, $200 to 4 or $500, though I would like to stay in the 2 to 3 range if possible for something ok quality wise.

All Opinions are welcome, please.

Thanks

Bill
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2010 at 14:29
Just a thought.  But how about a Monocular.  I have a IOR monocular for the exact reasons you are stating.  It is great for hiking, very small and very light weight. 

You have Zen Ray.  http://swfa.com/Zen-Ray-Monoculars-C3400.aspx
Optolyth.  http://swfa.com/Optolyth-Monoculars-C1599.aspx
Vortex  http://swfa.com/Vortex-Monoculars-C1421.aspx
Zeiss  http://swfa.com/Zeiss-Monoculars-C429.aspx
Leica  http://swfa.com/Leica-Monovid-Monoculars-C2765.aspx
and I am sure there are a few others.  Anyway just a thought as they are very easy to carry around.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 08:21
I use to have a Swarovski 8x20 - it was a very nice compact. Now I have a Leica 8x20, the eye relief is a bit snug but the clairity is so dang great, I just can't part with them for turkey season and early bow season. I still have my Bushnell 7x26 Custom Compacts from 20 years ago, this is what I keep in my truck console. They are a really nice binoc for not having all of the latest coatings. I tried out a pair of Vortex Fury 8x28 and might have kept them if they had focused abit better - too much back and forth to get it clear.

I would think the only time the 2.5mm eye relief would be a concern would be in low light conditions - like my Leica - but if most of your viewing is in the daytime, I don't see where it would be a concern. If you want low light viewing, I'd opt for something 40mm+.
Hitthespot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitthespot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 12:13
Interesting.  I guess I will find a store that carries Swaro' or Leica's or Zeiss, 8 x 20's and see if there what I'm looking for.

There have to be other people who visit here who use pocket binoculars.

Thanks,

Bill
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 13:00
Originally posted by Hitthespot Hitthespot wrote:

I know better glass will compensate but I think 24mm objective is better. 
All Opinions are welcome, please.
Thanks
Bill
You could call SWFA and see what they recommend in 24mm.

Edited by Bird Watcher - September/03/2010 at 13:00
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitthespot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 13:56
Thanks BirdWatcher.  Before I buy I do plan on speaking to them.  I was kinda of hoping that someone from there with good knowledge and someone who had looked through a number of different pair would chime in.

Thanks again,  I enjoyed reading the things you pointed me to in other threads.

Bill

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 16:50
Your welcome.

Our (wife & I) smallest binoculars are the Katmai 6x32mm (my wife's) & my Celestron Traveler 8x25mm.

The Celestron is probably too inexpenisve for most on this forum, but it has very good optics & great views for daytime viewing, it's just a little on the small side for my hands.

Orion sells the equivalent 8x25mm in a waterproof version. Bandito

Stan

Edited by Bird Watcher - September/03/2010 at 18:07
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 18:13
Originally posted by Hitthespot Hitthespot wrote:

Thanks BirdWatcher.  Before I buy I do plan on speaking to them.  I was kinda of hoping that someone from there with good knowledge and someone who had looked through a number of different pair would chime in.

Thanks again,  I enjoyed reading the things you pointed me to in other threads.

Bill

Bill:

I thought I would wait a bit before replying, to see what has been mentioned.  I have owned a Leica
8x20 BC, and they are a very nice optic, but I found out that I did not use them enough to warrant
keeping them around.  I have used a Zeiss Victory 8x20 also, but found the view through these little
ones just is only good for quick glances. 
I do own a Nikon 8x25 Travellite, that would fit your needs in size and  easy to carry.  They are very
good optically, lightweight, and in the size you first suggested.  They are not waterproof, but easy on the budget, so try one out, under $100.  I recommend them.  They are one I pack when "travelling".

I agree with those posts above, that 30-32mm objectives are needed to give you the best viewing
pleasure.

Jerry
etudiant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etudiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 22:39
Hi Hitthespot,

For your stated needs, a monocular such as Supertool73 suggested earlier is exactly the right thing.
I use the little Zeiss 8x20 monocular as an anytime scope, because it fits easily into a pocket. It is much less trouble than any binocular, even the Leica 8x20 mentioned above, which is good for vacations but too much for a pocket.
Of course the monocular is not as comfortable a view, but it's easy to always have with you.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitthespot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 13:48
I still have not purchased.  I'm waiting on a check I thought I would have had already.   Anyway I'm considering the Monocular.  When I get ready to buy I'm going to call SWFA and talk to one of their knowledgeable staff.  I'm sure I can find something suitable for my needs without breaking the bank.

thanks

Bill
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 15:16
I have the small Minox and comparable IOR's.
Given    that I have a couple nice pair of larger Minox I was really not pleased with the pocket units.
I was pleasently surprised at the performace of the IOR pocket bino's.

Edited by Mike McDonald - October/02/2010 at 15:18
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitthespot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 18:37
Mike,

Is that the BD Minox model?  I was seroiusly considering those.    What are IOR's?

Thanks

Bill
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 18:57
This is the IOR.  http://swfa.com/IOR-Binoculars-C310.aspx

The monocular I have is essentially just one of the barrels from a set of those.  They do not make them anymore.  But the Optolyth is suppose to be very similar in quality I have heard.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 20:13
Don't have the Monox anymore, gave them away.
ST is correct on the IOR, the 8x21 BGA.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 21:17
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 15:57
For a brief 30sec observation, a decent monocular is probably the most portable option available.  I have played with a few of them and the highest quality one I can think of is the new Leica 8x20.  That having been said, it is expensive and has small exit pupil.  It is quite tiny though and astoundingly good for the size.

Optolyth 10x28 monocular is quite decent as well.  I had one of the firs tones imported before I gave it to my brother.  If it was offered with lower magnification I would still have it.  10x is too much for me to try to handhold especially considering how light it is.

Ultimately, for the money, I would suggest you take a look either at Vortex 8x36 Solo, or Zen-Ray 8x42 ZRS HD monoculars.

Despite sporting pretty decently sized objective lenses, they are still quite compact and unobtrusive weighing about 10ozs.

ILya
emilyralph View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emilyralph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 23:50
Even I am looking a pair of pocket binoculars as i am sick of carrying those big ones. Something that can easily fit into my pocket.

NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 19:31
Originally posted by emilyralph emilyralph wrote:

Even I am looking a pair of pocket binoculars as i am sick of carrying those big ones. Something that can easily fit into my pocket.
Emily:

First off, what is your budget, and how much do you plan on using them?

Small pocket binoculars are difficult to make, as the design contraints with small objectives,
along with trying to maintain brightness, clarity and all the rest are a challenge.

As mentioned, the best brands, Leica, Swaro. Zeiss and Nikon, have some premium choices,
and you can find many choices, in 8x20 and 10x25.

The next best recommendation is to go for a reverse porro, compact, somewhat larger than
the small pockets, but often compare very well with the top makes.

A nice website to take a look at is "Better View Desired", they have a nice review and
comparision.  Many of these can be found right here at the sponsors website.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 19:53
Don't forget the 6X30 or 8X30 Leupold Yosemite. I know I've ranted on a lot about these since I bought mine, for for the price in the 70s, I don't think there is a set under 200 that can beat these in performance. I absolutely love them, bought a pair for my father in law for his birthday, and everyone at Christmas here was wanting a pair. 
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 21:21
Mike:
The Yosemites are a nice binocular, I have one and agree, but they are not pocket size.

Those are in another range of optics.

Jerry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic