OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best mid quality 3 x 9 scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klaw07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best mid quality 3 x 9 scope?
    Posted: November/04/2005 at 16:14
 I have looked at several scopes and the more I look, the more indecisive I become. I have a 25-06 that I want to put a 3 X 9 X 40 or even 3 X 10 on.  I will not shoot over 300 yards.  I have compared the Burris, Weaver grand slam, Bushnell elite 3200 and the Nikon.   Any opinions based on "hands on" experience?  It is hard to tell about a scope looking at it in a store.  Any other brands in that $200-$300 range I should consider?  Also is there really any advantage to a 50 mm objective?  From a mag stand point it should matter unless you have like a 20X right? 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2005 at 16:45

Nikon Buckmaster is the answer your looking for, Sir. Get a good set of rings and go shoot.

Nikon has upgraded the BM's coatings this year and it's good to go.

I'm not an advocate of 50mm obj. Go with a 40mm and mount the scope lower. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2005 at 17:33
Finally, something that cheaptrick and I can agree on:  go with a 40mm objective.

As for the scope, in this price range I prefer Sightron S2 3-9x42 over the competition.  Then Grand Slam, then Nikon Monarch, then Fullfield II, then Elite 3200.  I have not seen the new Buckmaster, so I am not sure how it stacks up, although I suspect it between Fullfield II and Elite 3200.

Ilya
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2005 at 12:28

I have no experience with the Sightron S2 but I respect Koshkin's opinion and I have read good things about the scope so definitly worth taking a look at.

Of the ones you mentioned I would like the Weaver Grand Slam.  I think for the money that scope is very hard to beat.  About the only complaint I have heard is cosmetic in that some people dont like the power adjustment ring (over sized) personally, I think it looks fresh and new and I like it for hunting in cold areas where you may be using gloves.  As far as optics go most people will agree it is a very good scope.

If the Weaver doesn't work for you, then the next on my list would be the Nikon Monarch.  I have not handled the new Buckmaster, although I have a friend that hunts with the older style and likes it.  As far as light gathering , clarity and overall optics the older version is about the same as the Bushnell 3200.

Also, a brand that I love and many tend to forget about is check out the Pentax line.  Yeah they are ugly and look like a mag light mounted on your gun  but I have the mid range Pentax Whitetails Unlimited and I love the scope.  Pentax scopes are made by Burris (duarble) with Pentax glass.

Good luck let us know what you choose

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2005 at 14:12

I too like Sightron's, but I haven't "proven" one like I have Nikon's. I have only have limited use with Sightrons, but they are nice. 

In the $200-$300 range, both should serve you well.

Pentax is also a very nice looking scope, that often gets over looked and may be in the same price range as well.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2005 at 20:59
Actually, recent Pentax scopes are relabeled Burris (or at least last I heard).  That includes the glass.  Your Whitetails Unlimited, I think has Pentax glass in a Burris tube, but current Pentax Pioneer is a relabeled Fullfield II.  If you are looking for scopes on Ebay, you can often get a better deal on a Pentax than on a Burris.  I have a Pentax Lightseeker 2-8x32 that is a few years old and it is an excellent scope.

Now, I like Burris scopes so I do not see the change as a step down in anyway.

Ilya
Driver View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2005 at 18:54
Im in the same boat as Klaw07.  Im looking for a decent scope in the $200-$300 range.  My main concern for the scope, is for it to have very little stray light problems.  Im hunting in a location that in the mornings, if I aim in the direction of the sunrise I lose complete vision through the scope. I also would like decent preformance in low-light conditions.  I'm going to a gun show this weekend and I will have the chance to get some hands on to see what i like, so here is what i'm considering.

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40
http://www.riflescopes.com/products/6469/nikon_4.5-14x40_b uckmaster_riflescope.htm
I have heard good thinks about Nikon and I was considering this one for the Mil-Dot or going witht the cheaper 3-9x40 nikoplex version

Bushnell Elite 3200 w/Firefly
http://www.riflescopes.com/products/323946M/bushnell_3-9x4 0_elite_3200_rifle_scope.htm
I had a Bushnell many years ago that i hated. But i have heard goos things about the Elite series, and the firefly is a good selling point also.

Sightron S2 3-9x42
I have heard that this is the best bang for your buck, and that it is comparable with Leupolds

These are just what I have been considering and If you guys think I will be better off with another brand for the stray light problem please let me know

Edited by Driver
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2005 at 19:53

Driver:

With many of todays mondern coatings lenses should help with stray light.  Of the scopes that you are looking at I'd take a hard look at the SightronSII  I personally have not handled one but many people seem to really like the scopes so definitly worth a look.

I cant comment on on the new Nikon Buckmaster the older version was good about the same as a Bushnell 3200, again nothing to write home about but a good solid scope.  I have heard the newer BuckMaster is better than the old.

The Bushnell 3200 is a good durable scope.  The firefly is a neat handy option.  I have never been really impressed with their brightness always seemed a little darker than some of the other scopes.

For the same amount of money I'd check out a Burris Full Field.  I think it is brighter and clearer than the Bushnell 3200 and the Nikon BuckMaster (old model).

If you can afford to jump up a little more in cost, I would definitly check out the Weaver Grand Slam.  The scope is bright and very clear.  When I compared it to the Leupold VariX III ( not VX series havent compared yet) the Weaver was brighter clearer and generally better than the famous gold ring at less money. If you do a search on these forums you will find very favorable marks going to the Grand Slam about the only complaits are some dont like the look of the scope (cosmetic), but know one complains about the optics because it is very very very  good for the money.

Also the Bushnell 4200 is an AWSOME scope.  The difference between the 3200 and the 4200 is quite abit. The 4200 cost more but it is worth the extra cash.  I tested the 4200 next to my Zeiss Conquest and the differences were minimal with only the real difference coming out after dark.  The Zeiss was brighter but the 4200 could allow you to see well after legal hunting hours so what more does one need. 

Finally as stated above look to Pentax.  I have the mid range Whitetails Unlimited and I love the scope.  Most people only remember Pentax for the binoculars but forget about their scopes, which is a shame because they make a great product.

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic