OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington 300 mag Scope Mounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington 300 mag Scope Mounts
    Posted: August/31/2010 at 11:01
I just got a Remington 300mag XCR Model 700 and a Zeiss 4.5x14x50 Conquest scope.  Realize the scope is only as good as the mounting and so on.  I am looking for some advice on what mounts and rings to use and a good gunsmith in the Detroit area?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 11:09
TPS makes great stuff at a reasonable price.  http://swfa.com/TPS-Mounts-C2705.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 11:14
I've use Talley and in the past used Leupold mounts/rings for my hunting rifles. Their both very good. 
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 11:23
Talleys are very simple to use and non would require no gunsmith to mount.  You can do it if you can shoot.  Hopefully.  I like the simplisity of the talleys on a hunting rig.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
HSC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 12:44
Thanks.  I was also told EGW picatinny rail tactical scope mount with Warne rings which apparently Warne makes the rings for Zeiss.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 13:05
Given a choice I'd use Talley's, but I have an abundance of Leupold bases and rings so thats what I usually use.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 13:16
I think of a Remington 300mag XCR Model 700 as a hunting rifle and based my recommendation on that. Your Zeiss has a 1" tube, there's all kinds of choices available to you. What are you going to use your rifle for, hunting, tactical, punching paper, etc.?

Edited by mike650 - August/31/2010 at 15:09
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
HSC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 14:00
I will be using it for hunting and of course making swiss cheese.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 15:27
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 15:29
Talleys are great.  I have the one piece ring mounts on my 45-70 and really like them.  I agree for a hunting gun they are pretty hard to beat.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 15:52
Talley Lightweight Aluminum 1 Talley Lightweight Aluminum 1" Scopemount
Stock # - 940700
  • Howa 1500
  • Remington 40X
  • Remington 700
  • Remington 721
  • Remington 722
  • Remington 725
  • Matte
  • Medium
  • 1"
$42.95
Warne Torque Wrench Warne Torque Wrench
Stock # - TW1
$19.95 
All you have to do is put 4 screws into the reciever lay the scope in straight ( I find it best done at the ranger where I can look at targets several hundred yards away) Tighten the ring screws.  The Warn tool will tighten to the right amount not over tighten.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/31/2010 at 15:52

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
dhdoyle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhdoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2010 at 18:39
And to finish up...
I have a 1985-era scope mounted on a Remington 700 (left-handed) 300 Win mag. I have a set of Leupold 2-piece bases that have not moved a hair. I've just recently turned the front base around because my eyes are getting old and I needed to move the scope back about 1/2" to get the right eye relief. It has Leupold rings, of course.

Granted, this was from the era when you could have Leupold or Weaver - name your poison. No matter how old-school it is, it's still a solid choice.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic