OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vortex Viper 3xpx40 BDC Vs. Zeiss conquest 3x9x40
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper 3xpx40 BDC Vs. Zeiss conquest 3x9x40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prosthogod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper 3xpx40 BDC Vs. Zeiss conquest 3x9x40
    Posted: August/30/2010 at 13:39
Any opinion? The vortex is $100.00 less. I would be mounting on my sons Weatherby 7-08 for deer. I would say up to 250yds.
live everyday like your last
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 13:46
They both will do it.  The view through the Zeiss will be a bit better.  I have one of each, and would tend to recommend saving the $100 for a new shooter.  That said, I would not hesitate to purchase either for my own use.
-Matt
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 13:48
+1 with BB,for the difference you can get a sunshade & a pair of scope caps.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 13:49

I like the BDC reticle for a new shooter.  He will have better hold points for shooting from 100-250yds and beyond actually.  I'd go with the Viper simply because the cost.  Zeiss is awesome glass but IMO not worth the extra hundo in this situation

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
prosthogod View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prosthogod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 13:51
thanks for confirming my own thoughts
live everyday like your last
The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 09:57
I have a Conquest 4x32...no doubt its a fine scope. I also just bought three Vipers and really, really like them. No hesitation on recommending either.

Josh
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 10:40
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

better hold points for shooting from 100-250yds and beyond actually. 

A 7-08 does not need hold points for shooting deer 100-250 yards. A beginning hunter would be wise to keep his shots within 250 yards. Even at 300-350 yards, a 7-08 sighted dead on at 100 or 1" high at 100 requires a reticle hold on the middle of the upper 1/3 of the vitals.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 11:24
I was more or less saying for future shooting, hence the "beyond" statement.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 16:30
For me it would depend on the conditions you hunt in. If you live on the plains, it may still be easy to see at the end of legal shooting light. If you are in a heavily wooded or mountainous area, you may need all the help you can get at last light. I've hunted both situations, and on the plains the difference between a Conquest and a Nikon Team Primos didn't seem that great. Get into heavily wooded Mountainous area though, and I'll take all the scope I can get.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 16:51
I would go with the Zeiss Conquest or a Bushnell 4200 (having just bought a Vortex Viper 2-7 BDC which I have now had on three different rifles).  I think the Vortex is better spoken of than it deserves and that Leupold is spoken worse of than it deserves. The Zeiss truely merits the praise it has recieved it is very nice and will last him a lifetime.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 17:54
I would lean towards the Conquest. If you are in challenging light conditions, it might make the difference between being able to take the shot and not being able to take the shot.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic