OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best red dot scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best red dot scope
    Posted: August/29/2010 at 18:16
I am getting a new colt M4 ops/ .22 rimfire rifle, i was wondering if anyone could tell me what would be the best red dot scope to get, or if i should just go with a regular scope, i will be using it for small game and target shooting.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 18:22
Originally posted by dezmick dezmick wrote:

I am getting a new colt M4 ops/ .22 rimfire rifle, i was wondering if anyone could tell me what would be the best red dot scope to get, or if i should just go with a regular scope, i will be using it for small game and target shooting.

Here ya go!

You asked for "the best red dot" and this is my choice.

Now...you may want to delve into a 1-4x scope, if you want magnification.     
dezmick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 18:26
very nice, but let me rephrase, the best that is not to expensive, the most i would like to spend is about 200.00

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 18:35

very nice, but let me rephrase, the best that is not to expensive, the most i would like to spend is about 200.00

I'm probably going to get bagged on for this...but...here we go.
I don't think you can find a VERY GOOD, NEW dot sight for around $200.
Millet Zoom Dot might be a consideration, but it appears to this poster that you might be happier with a 1-4x scope.

Theres a decent 1-4x Nikon, (so I've read, never used) you can get for roughly that.
Mount is in this package too!

What say you, Sir??  Wink 
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 19:07
Aimpoint, hands down.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
dhdoyle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhdoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 20:45
I'm going to go against the flow on this one. The Ultradot line of red dots is less than $200 and are very good and very reliable. Ultradot practically own the match pistol world and a .22 would be a perfect application for one. I'd look at the Ultradot 30 mm.

If it can sit on the slide of at match 1911 and run day in and day out, it'll run on a .22. The only downside is that you might have to experiment with 30 mm rings if you want a practice carbine with the same co-witness as an AR-15.
Mil/LE = Aimpoint
Match = Ultradot

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 20:59

Sample list.

http://www.samplelist.com/-P1204.aspx

Got one on the way for myself. They have 2 left of the 6 they listed, might jump on it if you want one.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 21:00
Ok, I may get bashed....but I thought the Bushnell Trophy red dots were decent....especially just for a .22. 

Am I wrong??--Bboy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 21:08
I can't find the particular Bushnell i was referring to.

I'd probably go with a Burris Red dot or Vortex red dot unless you were shooting at long distances, then I'd get a Nikon M223 scope --BBoy623
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 21:15
Bboy  They discontinued that Trophy model. It was a pretty good scope, but just didn't sell well.
dezmick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 21:30
i found this bushnell http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1x28-Trophy-Red-Dot-Sight-P8749.aspx
is that i good one, or should i try something different this is the gun that it will be going on
http://www.colt22rimfire.com/index.php?page=colt-m4-ops any suggestions would be helpfull
dezmick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 21:32
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 21:45

Unless Bboy and I are thinking of different scopes "which we very well could be" the Trophy series I was talking about was a variable power scope with a dot very much like the Hawke I posted a link to. 

I'm sure the 1x28 would be fine if you want to keep it small and do not want any magnification. 

Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 21:49

and there is this one on bushnell's site http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/reddot/730132P/

That's it...it has a little "ACOG" look to it. I was thinking about getting one myself---Bboy623
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 21:53
I will add that a friend of mine has a cheap red dot on his ruger 10/22. I when I mean cheap...I mean I think he said he paid $10 for it. Laugh if you want.....but that thing was precise!!!! SUB-moa!!!! I couldn't believe it.....but again....I know what I can do with my 10/22 with open sights!! Big Grin

OP---get what YOU like...I don't think you can go wrong; I'd just stay with a Namebrand....Bushnell, Burris, Vortex etc----------Bboy623

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 03:17
I think we got wrapped around the axle on this thread.

I "think" the OP would be happier with a decent 1-4x, but I may be wrong.  
NY Bouncer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NY Bouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 04:35

I'd go with  Millett or Bushnell Zoom dot.   Bushnell sells the identical sight now, they bought millett... it's basically the same they just changed the logo and the mount that comes with it is an extra high mount.   It's probably your next best choice to an aimpoint... though i've heard some people say that the zoom dot is actually better then an aimpoint... for example it is water tight to 300' while the best aimpoint is watertight to only 150' or so.. it also has an auto adjusting dot so you don't have to worry about adjusting brightness manually.. this is something some people like and others don't like.   You can change the dot size on the zoom dot from 1 moa to 10 moa, so it's got you covered from long range to up close and personal.. and you can always buy a magnifier and tack that baby on and with the 1 moa dot you can shoot out to 300 yards probably without a problem.  I was gonna get an aimpoint compm3 but the millet zoom dot sold me because of the ability to adjust the dot size and plus it is equally rugged if not more rugged then aimpoints plus they are made in U.S. while aimpoints are swedish.  I saw an old catalog from 2009 i found on google from Millett... and it had the zoomdot advertisement in there and it says that it has less parallax than aimpoint, has been recoil tested on .500 S&W handgun, waterproof to 300', survived being run over by a truck, also has an auto shut off feature so when you close the caps the sensor is inside the dot sight so when you shut the caps the sight shuts off, when you open them it turns on.  I also think it has some time of power save mode where if the gun is not being used for few hours it automatically shuts the sight off, not sure if thats on the milletts or if bushnell added.  I got the millett because I wanted to own the original design and have the millett brand name on it... but the bushnell one is the same exact sight

(Edited to remove several references to competitors and link to a competitor.)

Edited by RifleDude - August/30/2010 at 07:11
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 07:06
NY Bouncer,
Please read the Forum Rules that you agreed to as a condition of registering your Optics Talk membership, specifically Rule # 3.  This forum is operated by SWFA, an optics retailer.  It is bad form to come here and use the very forum they provide for our use to redirect potential customers to buy optics elsewhere.

http://www.opticstalk.com/the-ot-rules_topic5473.html

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NY Bouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 04:18
oops sorry brother i can't believe i forgot about that.  I'm so used to posting on other message boards that are not affiliated with a business.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NY Bouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 04:19
i'm surprised you guys don't have any Bushnell or millett zoom dots at SWFA. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic