OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Guns we shouldn’t have sold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote model88mattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guns we shouldn’t have sold
    Posted: November/04/2005 at 09:04
Hey guys, I am currently in a little bit of a cash crunch and am considering selling a gun that enjoy because it's the one that will see the least practicle use by me.  This got me to thinking about all times I've heard people tell stories about the gun they sold and wish they had back and thought it would be interesting to hear from everyone here.  The gun I am considering selling is a Sako L57 Forester .243.  How 'bout you guys?
BANGO View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2005 at 11:04

Don't sell it!

I sold an L57 in .222 a few years ago and I,m still kickig my butt. Cash crunches are likely to be short -lived. The cash you get for your gun will be gone in short order and can be replaced. The Sako will gone forever and be very difficult to replace. Give yourself a few days !

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2005 at 13:16

1) Sako 75 SS .300 win Mag. w/ silver Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44mm.

2) Remington Sendero .300 RUM w/ Schmidt and Bender 3-12x42mm L7 lit reticle.

3) Bushmaster 25th Anniversary Edition

4) Winchester .410 single shot (First "real" firearm given to me by my deceased Grandfather.)

5) Kimber Tactical Custom II .45 cal w/ 3 Wilson Combat 8 round mags.

Yeah, I regretted everyone of those I let go.

I agree w/ Bango, give it some time.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2005 at 22:42

Sold my Remington 788 in .308.  It was an ugly rifle (older one with a longer bbl) and I hated the detachable magazine (I'd bump the release a lot while hunting) but it was a tackdriver (I shot the first sub-moa group of my life with it using Rem coreloks).  But I was 17 and really wanted a pistol of some sort, so I traded it for a beasted super blackhawk (plus $100 cash, not bad considering I bought the rifle for $150 used, so the Ruger was $50) that had the bbl cut to 5.5" and the front sight eventually hit me in the forehead when the silver solder gave way.  I sold that to buy my Randall .45 (getting $200 for the Ruger which I had to get some repairs done to plus my high school graduation checks) and it is one gun I wouldn't sell.  Everygun sold since was a good move....I wouldn't sell that Sako, nice guns like that are always getting harder to find.  Here's the guns I've sold with no regrets:

Mossberg 500 12 ga (bought an 870)

Taurus 92 (traded it to my brother for his Hi Power...he wanted a DA)

S&W 34 kit gun .22

Norinco P.O.S. 12 ga SXS

Norinco SKS paratrooper

Glock 27

Hungarian SA85 (one AK variant is plenty and my Maadi is more authentic, although not as accurate)

brass grip Uberti .45 SAA (bought new Vaquero)

Mosin M44 (decided I only needed my 91/30, much more accurate)

I don't see anything in the list that would come close to a good Sako

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2005 at 04:21

Hey Sock,

What was wrong with the Glock 27?? Is that a typo??

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2005 at 07:16
Long story, short maybe...my brother wanted one so I "loaned him the money" when I bought my two Glocks (I got a G22) after the factory armorer course (they were about $360 each back then).  He had it about 5 years and kept waffling on paying me until he had "a good" job....well as you might have guessed by now that never happened so he gave it back to me.....I shot it a bit and I really didn't like it compared to my G19 and G22 and honestly it was bulky enough I found myself carrying my G19 more often as a CCW than the G27.  So rather than let it gather dust, it went away....my favorite CCW gun is my Keltec P32 aka "Sparky the Kneecapper" but I'm contemplating upgrading to a P3AT (but I'd like to shoot one first....Sparky puts a good size blister on the back of my palm after one box of shells...but guns that size are far from recreational shooters....although I used to pack my dad's Colt Junior .25 acp while hunting and popped a couple of squirrels with it as a teenager....it was damn accurate....only other "little gun" that came close was a college roomate's Beretta 21 22LR. 
model88mattie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote model88mattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2005 at 19:22
Thanks for the words guys, I'm trying to stick things out.  I bought into a condo about six months ago in So. Fla and with the hurricanes and some general repairs needed due to the weather last year, there's going to be a $2K assessment coming up most likely.  With the holidays coming up, I'm nervous.  One rifle though, that I'll never sell is my model 88 winchester in .308.  It's the first "real" rifle that my dad gave me...the other day, my girlfriend and I were talking about what we'd grab quickly on the way out if there were a fire, and I said the model 88 and maybe a couple others! (and a couple sentimental watches of little value)  Now that I think of it that way though, most everything else can be replaced, but the rifles would be next to impossible.  The model 88 in particular, just wouldn't be the same without being the one given to me. I've had that gun for about 15 years and had beat it up quite a bit as a kid, and last year decided to refinish it - you should see it shine now!!  Thanks again guys.
dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2005 at 18:20

FNC 5.56mm para & (100) 30 rd mags.

FN 7.62mm set up for counter sniper work (1/2 moa rifle)

Joe

On 11/20 I just sorta remedied the 7.62mm problem. I just picked up a Austrian STG58. Time to send it to G.A. Precision and get it massaged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by dilligaf
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2005 at 22:15

There is not a month that goes by that I don't sell or trade something.  I go through stages where I start collecting something and then I get tired of it and move onto a different model.  Every gun I have is for sale for the right price.  The only exceptions are a couple that were given to me by my grandfather. 

ranburr

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2005 at 11:55

My all time bigest f-up was selling a  factory Class "C" engraved nickel plated Colt govt. .45 ACP. It was engraved in a geometric pattern almost like a spirograph, I've never seen another similar.

I also regret selling a custom engraved gold inlayed blue S&W 6.5 in with custom ivory grips tuned by Steve Velchoff who is no longer alive. And I must say I truely miss several other guns a tight grouping S&W model 66  6 inch, a Satin Nickel commander in .45 acp, a H&K P9S in .45acp. and a 2nd gen Colt in .45 LC.

There are guns that I wouldn't mind having back but have no grief regarding selling or traiding them - thats by far the largest group.

There are also guns I don't miss at all including a mac 10  .45 acp suppressed full auto with the legal tax stamps - class 3 guns are a huge pain in the a.  Guns I dont miss- includes all rifles with less effectiveness than .308 

More importantly whats on my wish list - nickle plated Colts are at the top but that may not happen$$$, realistically more barrels for my Encore, And I'm still trying to put together a .30 cal gun that is accurate at least to 600 yds and hopefully to 1000yds.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic