OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Browning BAR Safari II & Zeiss Conquest 3-9

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Browning BAR Safari II & Zeiss Conquest 3-9
    Posted: August/29/2010 at 17:40
Guys...I took my Browning out the other day when I was messing with my Mossberg 30-06 & Viper 4-12.

I wanted to fine tune the Browning .270 at 200 yards for my zero. I previously had an unofficial range at 100 yards and had it about 1.5 inches high dead center shooting Remington Core Lokt 130gr.

I tried a few shots at 100 and verified my previous. I shot a few at the 200 yard target and they were hitting about 1.5 to 2 inches HIGH!!! I don't understand this. I went back to the Mossberg as the Viper was just mounted and I need to work on it a little more.

I came back to the Browning and it was still high and I was shooting to the right....but I think my shoulder had a lot to do with it as it was killing me from shooting that Mossberg that doesn't have any real recoil pad to speak of.

I'm not too concerned right now, but if any one has any pointers I'm all ears. I want a 200 yard zero with both rifles.

I did pick up a PAST shooting pad for my next adventure. The Browning doesn't bother me, but that Mossberg..OMG that's another story. 

Also, do you think I'll be ok shooting some less expensive 130gr Federals until I get to a point where I'm grouping pretty much where I want and then I can switch back to the Remington core lokts??--Bboy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 00:08
One might expect that with a 130 grain .270 1.5" high at 100yds, you would be a little high at 200 yds, but 2" is too much. I suspect you weren't  sighted 1.5" high at 100yds, but more like 90 yds.. 

Try shooting that '06 from a high/standing bench over bags and leave your body free as you can to move with the recoil. You can shoot 'em all day while standing and out plinking around in the field, but scrunched over a low bench, or prone and a .30-06 will spank you without proper technique and equipment.  Sounds like you might have been developing a flinch and pulling shots to the right with the Browning.

If your Mossberg has a synthetic stock, you might think about filling the voids in the fore end with bedding- type epoxy and filling  that buttstock with expanding foam. You'll stiffen your stock, make it quieter and add weight which will lessen recoil. There's a lot of info online about improving factory synthetic stocks.

There is a school of thought which says that you get to practice a lot more with inexpensive ammo and there is the school that says to practice with what you plan to shoot. Might as well do both. Keep in mind that if there is a big discrepancy with zero between the 2 rounds, you can waste a lot of your savings getting re- zeroed if you aren't mindful.

The sooner you start reloading, the faster your equipment will pay for itself. Actually, that's only half- true... the sooner you'll save up to buy your next piece of reloading paraphernalia.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2010 at 13:04
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

The sooner you start reloading, the faster your equipment will pay for itself. Actually, that's only half- true... the sooner you'll save up to buy your next piece of reloading paraphernalia.

Yea, I want to reload and have watched hours of video on youtube and other sites trying to learn how. I think I have a 85-90% grasp on things. I just don't know what equipment to get. I don't think I want a single stage press, as after I got the hang of it...I want to crank out some rounds!!! Big Grin

.223, .270. 30-06, .40, .45ACP etc etc---BBoy623
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2010 at 13:17

Adam, i have the lee classic turret 4 hole press it will load precision rounds and will do other rounds fast as well as accurately.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2010 at 13:29
+1 on Alan's analysis.

Always sight in with the load you plan to hunt with.
-Matt
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2010 at 13:29
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Ain't that true.  That is why I started reloading was to save money.  But I bet I have spent well over $5000 on reloading equipment.  I have never actually added it up but it is crazy how much crap I have in my reloading room.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2010 at 14:12
I have never reloaded to save money, it was always out of the pure fascination of researching and reloading my own and what a joy it is to see an animal harvested with your own ammo.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2010 at 16:21
+2 on Alan's analysis
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2010 at 16:51
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Adam, i have the lee classic turret 4 hole press it will load precision rounds and will do other rounds fast as well as accurately.

You are so gonna show me reloading in person when we meet!! LOL

Yea, I plan to make my precision with my Rem Core Lokt 130 grs. I was thinking instead of concentrating at being 1.5 -2 high at 100 yards (which I am), go to the 200 and make sure I have GOOD shots, no flinching etc...take my time etc. And start dialing the Zeiss in from there (with the Federal 130grs). ONCE I'm getting where I want to be, I was gonna swap over to the Remingtons and precision sight the scope in where I'm consistantly  hitting my groups in the bull at 200 yards. 

Sound ok, or is there going to be SUCH a difference in the Federals and Remingtons even though they are both 130gr???--Bboy623

Edited by Bboy623 - September/01/2010 at 16:52
hometheaterman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2010 at 17:28
Is there a reason you don't want to just use the Federals? IMO it's a pretty good round on deer and other similar sized animals. As long as it groups okay in your gun, I see no reason not to use it all the time. The price sure is cheap enough, plus if you buy two boxes right now Federal is offering a $5 mail in rebate to make it even cheaper. I'm more of a fan of the Federal Power Shok ammo than I am of the Remington Core Lokts.

IMO the Winchester Power Points, Remington Core Lokts, and Federal Power Shoks, are all pretty good rounds and just pick which groups best in your gun. It's not until you start getting into premium ammo that I've seen any shoot anything other than the Federal's or even Winchesters.
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2010 at 18:18
I've just has good luck with the Rems; both my dad & I. You got a point though, if the Federals group well why not stay with them. I don't know, well see. The federals were like $14 at Wally, the Rem's $18---Bboy623
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic