OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX-II 2-7x33 vs VX-3 1.75-6x32

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aam8234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX-II 2-7x33 vs VX-3 1.75-6x32
    Posted: August/29/2010 at 08:31
Gents,

I have a .243 Savage and of course I want it to do everything. After months of hard realizations I am close to choosing between these two scopes.

The gun is a bolt action 2?" barrel with the accu-trigger.

The main use will be hunting, but some use for general target shooting.

I want low magnification because in my hunting experience, shots are within 200 yards. Target identification (spike, button buck) could be a factor but close range shots seem to be the norm. Most of my hunting is East Coast, with some in Texas.

I have hunted hogs at night and want a scope with good light transmission. Which of the two of these is better for my application?

What is the percentage of light transmission for both these scopes?
Thank you for your help!
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 08:51
will share one thing with you for your consideration. In the last year I purchased one of the redfield 2-7 scopes for my savage 308. The little redfield is pretty much a clone of the 2-7 leupold vx II dimensionally. I ended up returning the redfield as it was too short to fit the ring spacing on my 308 using the std weaver bases and zee rings. Those savage short actions are not that short, so you may want to compare all of your measurements before laying down your $$ as it may influence your choice.
aam8234 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aam8234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 10:55
Thanks Powderburn. That is something I have not considered at all. I will look into it.

Also, any thoughts or ideas how the Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 stacks up against the previous two?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 13:10
monarch is comparable to the vx3
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 16:14
What pyro said, Monarch is a very nice scope. Have you considered the 2-7 vipers that are on closeout right now?    I personally haven't used one beyond just looking at them in the shop but I have been impressed with the fit and finish as well as the view and for the price I would definitely give one consideration. Having said all that I have a older vari xii on my 243 ruger and am very happy with it. The new vx II is suppose to be an improved version.
aam8234 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aam8234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 17:21
I have not heard of Vortex optics at all. Anybody have any opinions or used one?
My price range is around $300. One of the things that is attractive about the Leupold is the warranty of course. In my history the Nikons have looked just bit clearer though. Hmmm....
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 18:37
  I replaced a VX III 1.75-6x32 (NOT VX3) with a 2-7x32 Viper.  The Viper resolved the issues I had with the Leupold,and then some,for $100 less than I paid for the Leupold.  I am NOT a Leupold basher and still have two that I won't be getting rid of anytime soon. As far as the Viper warranty goes,here is some info on it and the Viper line of scopes.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
aam8234 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aam8234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 18:52
Wow, no complaints with the warranty. Let me get this straight, Vortex is clearer than the others, cheaper than the others, has strong repeatable adjustments and has a great warranty?
Hmm...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 19:01
ive got a 2x7 vortex viper on my .375H&H right now and it can handle that abuse just fine. they make good scopes and their customer service is second to none.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 19:10

I'd rather not get into what characteristics I didn't like about the VX III but clearity wasn't one of the main ones.  Here's a pic of the Viper 2-7x32 mounted on a short bbl'd rifle (20") to give you a visual idea of it's dimensions.

aam8234 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aam8234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 20:03
Gents, thank you for the help. One Vector Viper 2-7x33 with bdc on it's way...
The price, the reviews, the features and the warranty make it worth trying.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 20:13
i think you will be very happy with it, i love mine.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 20:20
 And if you don't like it I call first dibbs on it!  Bucky
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 20:26
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

And if you don't like it I call first dibbs on it!  Bucky

dammit earl you beat me to it, i still call shotgun thoughBig Grin ha ha ed has to sit bitch!!!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 07:12
 My daughter's wanting one with the C3 reticle BAD.  Just can't swing right now.  Me or her.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic