OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage.....????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage.....????
    Posted: August/28/2010 at 20:06
Everywhere I go I'm hearing about how accurate Savage's are. Multiple articles in magazines, online etc. Shops I go to say they are selling a lot of Savage's. 

WHICH SAVAGE??

I mean they only make a few dozen rifles form what I can tell on their website!!

Is it the EDGE???

Who has them?---Bboy623 Sharp Shooter
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 20:30
I think the edge is there budget rifle and comes in a package deal most of the time...probably not there best piece...but haven't heard any negatives about it, no acutrigger on this one.
Don't own a Savage yet...but will most likely be my next purchase...the 10 FP seems to be very popular here and at Snipers Hide.
Give it a little while and people will chime in I'm sure.

Edited by GetSome - August/28/2010 at 20:33
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 20:36
Bboy.... every savage I have ever owned has been accurate! I currently have a 116 weather warrior in 300 wsm that will do 1" groups at 100 yards, and an old 110 in 30-06 that will do 5/8" groups pretty regular with remington core lokt 150's!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 20:38
Originally posted by GetSome GetSome wrote:

I think the edge is there budget rifle and comes in a package deal most of the time...probably not there best piece...but haven't heard any negatives about it, no acutrigger on this one.
Don't own a Savage yet...but will most likely be my next purchase...the 10 FP seems to be very popular here and at Snipers Hide.

Good post!

What application, bboy??    
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 20:42
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by GetSome GetSome wrote:

Good post!

What application, bboy??    

Deer....Zombies....as ALWAYS...hehe---Bboy623
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 20:47

Big game rifle??

Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 20:52
yea--Bboy623
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 21:15

my model 12 has been super accurate.  that new one bud has has gotten good review as well its the LongRangeHunter 111  or something

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 06:06
 The Edge is a budget minded starter that personally I would leave in the store and buy a Stevens 200 for the same price give or take a few bucks.
 All models of the Savage are accurate but the model 10LE and the model 12 vlp or bvss are the ones I own and they do perform extremely well for factory guns. I have seven in various calibers and they are all sub moa, these are "varmint contour or bull barrels", and 2 model 11 for hunting that are always right around 7/8 of an inch @100 with sporter barrels.
froggy
VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 08:09
Savages are super accurate with the right ammo and the shooter...well, that's a MUST.

My .22 Savage groups 1/4"-1/2" at 50 yards with German Wolf Match and around an inch or under
at 100.

.204 will nail a rabbit at 400 yards and .308 carbine will blow a hole through a two-legged varmint at 600 (only tried on the paper though Wink)
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 12:35
I would suggest a model with the Accu-Trigger. The factory tupperware stock is not great. But the lammy stocks get pretty good reviews as well as the new Accu-stocks.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
radone6665 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radone6665 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 20:46
I have a rather large selection of Savages ranging from 10s (10, 11, 12, 14, 110, 111, 114) and 16s( 16 and 116), 22-250 to 338 Win Mag, that I have collected over many years and would agree that out of the box they are extremely accurate but it is also important that the shooter be just as good and works at it.   I started both my son and daughter on Savage  rifles in both .22 and then in 243.  I really like them and as a Left Hand shooter Savage has always been left hand friendly and most but not all are left hand models and several are no longer made.  Many of them are not the prettiest rifles you will ever see but they do get the job done where ever I have hunted including mainland Alaska and Kodiak Island which can really beat up a rifle and scope.  Definitely get an Accutrigger, you will not regret it.  The Edge is their entry level model and would move up for a few more dollars into their more advanced lines.  Good luck with your choice.
Even a blind squirrel occcasionally finds an acorn.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 21:21

ZOMBIE DEER..... Shocked

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 21:59
GET THE GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Zombie deer!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

50 Cal
Semi Auto

Tank---------------bboy623

Edited by Bboy623 - August/29/2010 at 22:00
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 08:12
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

ZOMBIE DEER..... Shocked

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thats pretty clever setting that thing up like that in the snow bank. Wonder who did it.
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 00:07
Originally posted by Bboy623 Bboy623 wrote:

Everywhere I go I'm hearing about how accurate Savage's are. Multiple articles in magazines, online etc. Shops I go to say they are selling a lot of Savage's. 

WHICH SAVAGE??

I mean they only make a few dozen rifles form what I can tell on their website!!

Is it the EDGE???

Who has them?---Bboy623 Sharp Shooter

Savage has long been known to have "out of the box" accuracy. A lot of that can be attributed to the floating bolt face. It makes up for the things not being squared. I have only owned model 10's of different configurations and they all shot well. I had a base model 10 in 243 that shot great with a thin barrel and I have a Savage FP-LE 308 win that shoots below 1/2 moa all the time. Well if I don't mess up. For the money I don't think you can go wrong with one.
Gerald Baker
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 08:23

Is the action on the Edge a regular Savage action? I want to try my hand at building one and and of coarse don't want to spend ant more than necessary for an action.

Edited by BobC - September/06/2010 at 08:23
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 11:28
 The Edge really is not builder friendly, there just are not any parts out there to do it.
 If you want to do a build buy the Stevens for about $25-30 more and use all the Savage parts you want or the after market that are availiable for the Savages.
froggy
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 11:43
Thanks that's what I thought but wanted to be sure.
The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 01:26
The first rifle I bought for myself when I was 15 years old was a Savage in 270 Winchester. Since then I've owned 5 or 6 more....every single one shot great. Never really looked at the Edge but if its a Savage, bet it shoots good. I would go with the model 11 with open sights if it were me. Can get em used for a song.

Josh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic