OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for the new 22-250 within budget....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black frog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for the new 22-250 within budget....
    Posted: August/27/2010 at 14:26
I have a new 22-250 coming next week (Savage 10 Max1)  Wink and need to think about scoping it.

I don't think I'll need much over 12 to 14x, and would like to stay in the 40mm-ish family.

Budget is an issue of course, so I'm in the ballpark of something like:

Leupold VX-II 4-12x  ~$450
Nikon Monarch 3-12x ~$400 after rebate 
Weaver Grandslam 4.5-14x ~$390
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x ~$300
Vortex Viper 4-12X ~$250 for plain duplex, $400 for the 'dead hold' reticle

I think I'd like something with bullet drop reticle, like Vortex's Dead Hold, or Leup's LR Duplex in the VX-II line.  Unsure about the Nikon BDC's circles....

black frog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black frog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 14:38
I forgot the Nikon Buckmaster has a $30 rebate too, so that is around $270 after rebate.
VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 15:03
My vote is for the Nikon Buckmaster side focus with a mildot Big Grin Super clear and bright and mildots for elevation points (if you are not a clicker).
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 17:23
Vortex Viper with BDC
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
NRV View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 21:17
From your list, I would take the Viper with plex for $250.  I had a Buckmasters once, and to me, it wasn't nearly as clear as a Monarch or Viper.

My personal favorites in that price range are the Sightron SIIs and Big Skys.  Sightron has a $50 and $75 rebate going for them till the end of the year, I believe.

I also don't really like the hold-over reticles, especially on a flat-shooting 22-250.  Anything under 300 yards or so shouldn't be but a few inches low, and over that, dial with the turrets.

Again, though, at $250, the 4-12 Viper is a steal.
kelly1278 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelly1278 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 22:07
i would go with the vortex out of the ones you listed
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 22:22
Originally posted by kelly1278 kelly1278 wrote:

i would go with the vortex out of the ones you listed

me too, the vxII  and the buckmaster arent really in the same league as most of the list is.

Edited by pyro6999 - August/27/2010 at 22:22
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 21:11
viper
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
black frog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black frog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 08:24

Thanks for the info!  I have yet to play with the Viper in my hands, only reading reviews and comments from owners.  I do have several VX-3's and VX-II's, so that is a 'known' quantity for me to compare by.

Is the Viper comparable to a VX-II?  And I've read that some thing the Viper has some tunnel vision effect to it.  Anybody comment on that?

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 08:54
I just mounted up a 6.5-20x44 Viper on my custom 300 win mag this weekend.  Looking through it i didn't notice to much tunneling but it did have a slight bit compared to my SS 3-9 that I was mounting as well on another gun.  I seriously dont' think its a severe as people think when they hear tunneling.  Is is noticable yes when your looking for it, when your shooting, no.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic