OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rings and bases- does it matter?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txhunter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rings and bases- does it matter?
    Posted: August/27/2010 at 08:53
Well I am buying a scope online and will have a shop  mount the scope for me.

Does it really matter who I choose as the mfg (Leupold, Burris, Weaver, etc)? 1 piece or 2 piece base?

On a hunting rifle am I probably better off mounting the scope as low to the rifle as possible for correct cheek placement?

Thanks to everyones advice and help,  my 280 should be up in running for part of deer season.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 09:00

For any rifle I am going to be using strickly for hunting i use talley 1pc aluminum rings they are rings with built in bases and they perform great.  To find out what size you need.  Call SWFA and tell them what gun, what scope, and they can tell you the height you need.  And while you're on the phone you can go ahead and order them from them.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 11:37
I don't trust "stores" to mount scopes for me (I've seen too much crap work performed). Do as SVT suggested ... that's good advice. Good luck.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 12:40
Originally posted by txhunter2 txhunter2 wrote:

Does it really matter who I choose as the mfg (Leupold, Burris, Weaver, etc)? 1 piece or 2 piece base?

At some level, yes, even if only cosmetically.  For example, the Burris double dovetail bases feature radius' at the ends that I find cosmetically and functionally attractive.  In addition, on a hunting rig I like two piece bases. 

As to function, well, all the steel bases are pretty dang good.  Some aluminum ones are too.  For rings my first choice is always Burris Signature, Zee or not depending on the bases. 

At the end of the day its up to you to research any brand preference before you hand over your money.

Why not just do it yourself?  Its really easy and there are lots of guys here to help you through it if you get stuck.  Besides, having a "gunsmith" mount the scope does not ensure that it was done correctly.  I know this from firsthand experience.
txhunter2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txhunter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 13:05
Excuse my ignorance but what tools are needed for the mount.  How will I make sure if I get the scope properly aligned and set in the rings.

I have bought 3 scopes in the past week.  I think I got a little impulsive.  One will be left unmounted for a next rifle.

Zeiss Conquest
Vortex Viper 2-7x32
Nitrex 2 2-10x42

Unmounted guns

Spikes tactical5.56/223 carbine  (leaning towards burris a/r tactical mount) Will this work with the vortex?

280 remington model 700  (leaning towards talley lightweight aluminum scopemounts or leupold quick release rings and base)

txhunter2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txhunter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 13:06
that is the zeiss conquest 3-9x40
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 13:16
The burris PEPR mount would be a better  fit for the spikes tactical.  for the 700 I would use the talleys.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
blacktails View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacktails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 13:46
I agree with bugsNbows about trying to avoid having a store do the mounting for you.  Seems like there is a better chance for shoddy work. 
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 14:11
I won't let anyone mount my scopes but me.  I take great pains to insure a stress-free mount so I can avoid damaging my scope, and, so that my scope is mounted to fit my head position and the reticle is level.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 14:32
At the store, the person may have been in the shoe department this morning. 
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 17:17
If you get the Tally's ,the only tool you need they include with the rings.A taques wrench would help with the exact screw down pressure.You might also want to use red loctite on the base screws,on the ring screws I usually borrow some of my wifes clear nail pollish repair,that stuff is great I use it on my broard head treads.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 18:16
I had the gun store guys mount scopes the first couple of times. Neither time did they get the rings tightened down evenly on both sides. So I too do it myself. Also, I had a bad experience going with rings that I knew better than to use...too cheap and soft to tighten down properly. I ended up with a scope that on the drive back from sighting it in got canted 7% and I never checked it again until after I'd given the screws an extra tightening and was trying to go hunting.

I've used the Leupold dual dovetails and had no problems with those. I have some Burris weaver-style mounted rings on my .22 Savage. But when it comes to the high-end scopes on two of my rifles I will only use the highest quality one-piece picatinny rails and rings -Seekins in my case. Others I'd consider include Badger, Talley and Warne.
Reaction time is a factor...
blacktails View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacktails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 18:42
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

At the store, the person may have been in the shoe department this morning. 

Heck, they MUST be qualified then.  Fit a shoe, fit a scope Wink
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 22:25
Originally posted by Magnumdood Magnumdood wrote:

I won't let anyone mount my scopes but me.  I take great pains to insure a stress-free mount so I can avoid damaging my scope, and, so that my scope is mounted to fit my head position and the reticle is level.

Same here. I even use a Snap-on inch-pound wrench for the screws and a laser level and plumb bobs. Over the top?

I like Burris Signature rings. Their dual dovetail rings are very good looking, as others have said.
I hope they change the base mount screw on their Signature Zees, though.
I am no fan of using shims or lapping rings unless the tube is bedded afterwards and then, why bother since the Signature inserts cure all ills.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
kelly1278 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelly1278 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 22:28
i like the talley 1 piece rings and bases as well i just bought my second set from swfa they seem to be a good setup
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 22:43
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Same here. I even use a Snap-on inch-pound wrench for the screws and a laser level and plumb bobs. Over the top?
Over the top?  Not in my book.  I use all of the above with exception of the Snap-on inch/lb torque wrench...I use Seekonk torque wrenches.  A little expensive, but nothing compared to all the scopes I've mounted, and protected, using them.  Too many people way over-torque their ring screws.  I've seen a myriad of scopes that had one or two "waists" where the rings had crushed the scope tube.  I think that would be almost impossible with Burris Signature rings, which I use, but not on my big rig.  I too dislike that cheesy lug screw they use.  I prefer an actual recoil lug, or at least a heavier bolt like Badgers have.  Lately, for any expensive optic I use Near Mfg. exclusively.  Richard's (Richard Near) rings and bases are expensive, but worth every penny.  I've not seen any system as good as his; it looks like NASA could use his gear.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
Smileydawg1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2010 at 10:48

HI JonoMT, What one piece mounts do you use from Seekins? And you say you mount it to a one-piece picatinny rail?

I have two Tikka T3's one is mounted with a one piece Dead-Nutz directly to the receiver and the other I installed a one-piece picatinny rail. Obviously, the one with the picatinny rail then adding another layer with the one piece mount the optic is going to be higher to the bore axis. Which I could live with if I could zero a scope, change scopes, then put back on the first one I zeroed and it be dead dog nutz zeroed.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic