OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pistol trigger pull

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pistol trigger pull
    Posted: August/26/2010 at 09:10
So im lining up a few possibilities in the pistol sector for purchase sometime next year. I've done far less pistol shooting than any other platform and was wondering if some of the more seasoned vets here could give me some info on the following pistols. I did a decent amount in the military but it was almost exclusively on the 9mm beretta. I can find and try out most if not all of the following at gun stores but trigger pull is something i'd like some firsthand knowledge on if possible.

Very interested in the following:

1. FN FNP 357 Sig - Love the look and set up of this pistol. I know the Sig is a more expensive and slightly less available round but i want some nice power for my next venture and this will put a hurting downrange.

2. Sig P229

3. HK45
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 09:57
My daily carry currently is a Sig 229 and love it.   HK are nice but a lot consider them a purchase for the name.  Never shot an FN pistol so can't help there.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 10:03
I carry an HK in .45. The trigger is a bit heavy in DA and has plenty of take up and a bit of mush in SA. Similar to the various P226, 225, 226 and 229's I've shot. They're all serviceable.
I've never heard of buying HK for the name. Their reputation is excellent. I have owned their guns for over thirty years.
Doug
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 10:08
I more less ment they are a little more expensive because of the name.  should have been more clear on that
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 10:08
Doug, which of the 2 would you say has a better trigger pull? The only knock i've ever heard on the HK is the long pull and that is was a bit heavy. Curious as to how it compares to the Sig 357.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 10:27
I have only shot the 229 in .40. When they first came out I coveted having one. Some of the SIG triggers I have used are pretty nice. Even in DOA. For a combat/defensive type of gun, I find them to be one of the nicest regarding triggers and ergonomics.
My .45 USP was a V.7 DOA when I first bought it years ago. The pull way over 10 lbs. but was consistent. I converted to the V.1 traditional SA/DA a few years back. I like it better for the occasional long shots when woods walking. It is similar to a SIG SA/DA trigger. I do like the fact that I can carry the HK cocked and locked. The SA pull on a first shot is easier than DA for me.
Regarding any of these guns, they all are pretty much the same to me. The triggers are OK. There is not a glass rod among them.
For a .357 it would be a toss up between the 229 and the USPC for me.

Doug
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 10:34
Thanks for the insight Doug....
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 01:02
I have shot all three the FN, the HK and the the SIG. But I own two SIGs a P226 Black water in 9mm and a P229 in 40cal. I prefer their triggers out of the box. I had an action enhancement done on both (no change in trigger pull weights) at the Sig factory. Cost $150 and well worth the money. A much smoother and crisper trigger. But knowing what I know now I would look at Gray Guns, they work on both SIGs and HKs.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 06:18
i dont think you can make a bad choice they are excellent pistols. the hk and the sig would be my final two.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 21:56
Trigger pull varies not only from manufacturer to manufacturer, but also from one pistol to another and from one model to another, even when both pistols or both models are produced by the same manufacturer.

If trigger pull is important to you (and it sure is to me), I wouldn't buy a gun without trying the trigger pull first.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic