OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Your opinion: VXIII vs. Conquest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red_SC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your opinion: VXIII vs. Conquest
    Posted: November/03/2005 at 09:47

My dad is finally going to buy a good scope, after being unsatisfied with several cheapos.  He's looking at the 3.5-10X50 VXIII at around $550.  A friend recently bought a Conquest, but sold it before even mounting it.  Just looking through it, it was pretty clear.  Which of these scopes would you prefer, and why?

Leupold VXIII 3.5-10X50 for $550

Zeiss Conquest 3-9X50 for $500

It will be mounted on a bolt action .30-06.  He hunts a lot, and goes shooting with us maybe once a month.  His main concerns are ruggedness (not losing zero while riding in the gunrack, etc.) and low light performance.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2005 at 10:19
Most everybody here will tell you Conquest.  Both are fine scopes.  The view through the Conquest is probably a little better.  The Leupold will stand up to whatever you put it through.  I would make the choice on which zoom ring and eyepiece focusing you like better.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2005 at 11:22

This is my favorite:

Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-III 30mm Riflescope

Send this page to a friend
Wide Duplex® Range Estimating (RE) Feature

The Wide Duplex® Range Estimating (RE) reticle was designed to provide a more open center with the pickets farther apart to allow more unobstructed target viewing area. This reticle is particularly good for quick shots on moving targets. Since this open space is not the right size for range estimating, a new feature is incorporated in VX-III models to provide a range estimating function. A ranging bracket is located on the lower Duplex picket where a thinned down section provides a notch. To estimate range using the Leupold Wide Duplex RE reticle, place an animal or object of approximately 16" in height in the ranging bracket and turn the power selector until it just fits into this space. After the target is bracketed in this notch, read the numbers on the rear of the power selector ring to get an estimate of the range. “3” corresponds with 300 yards, “5” with 500 yards, etc.

Specifications
Weight (oz): 17

Wide Duplex RE Reticle
Wide Duplex Range Estimating

Length (in): 12.6
Eye Relief (in): 4.4 - 3.6
Field of View @ 100 yards (ft): 19.1 - 7.4
MOA: 1/4
Finish: Matte
Ring Spacing
Max Mount Ring Spacing (in): 5.5  
Front Ring Space (in): 1.7
Rear Ring Space (in): 2.5

< style="MARGIN: 0px" =/addtocart.asp method=get>
Order Here
Stock # Price Quantity  
LEU57850 $679.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2005 at 13:09

Conquest.  Better optics, more user friendly. 

ranburr

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2005 at 04:34

Conquest.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
model88mattie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote model88mattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2005 at 08:51
I have both and if I were going to use one for riding around in the truck, it'd be the Leupold.  It just has a longer track record for durability.  I do love my Conquest, I just wish they made one that is a little lighter.
Red_SC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red_SC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2005 at 12:04
Thanks guys.  If it were me, I'd get the Conquest, but I think he's going to go with the Leupold.  He has changed from wanting the 3-9X50 to the 4.5-14X50,
jsethmor View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsethmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2005 at 12:03
Conquest for clarity and brightness, Leupold for warranty and USA made, I have both.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2005 at 12:07

Originally posted by jsethmor jsethmor wrote:

Conquest for clarity and brightness, Leupold for warranty and USA made, I have both.

Respectfully, the Conquest too is US made and the warranty service from Zeiss USA rivals that of Leupold, who I agree, are very good.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2005 at 16:07
Humm better scope and less money.....Conquest
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2005 at 08:30
I own both. The Conquest has a better view, but I'd take the Leupold for ruggedness.
jsethmor View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsethmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2005 at 17:04
I would agree with Stud duck on the ruggedness factor as well, What I should have said earlier was Leupold for a USA based company, Cheaptrick is right they are made here in the USA.  I wonder if Zeiss has their own company over here or if they sub out their work to another scope manufacturer, built to their specs?  Anyone know?

Edited by jsethmor
jsethmor View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsethmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2005 at 18:54
Answer: 

Carl Zeiss

Perhaps no current scope maker is carving up the deluxe scope market like Zeiss and their "made in USA" Conquest line of scopes. People seem confused about them.

1) Neither Leupold nor anyone else makes scopes for Zeiss. Other scope manufacturers do buy uncoated glass from Zeiss for their own product. Zeiss coatings are proprietary, however. No coated scope lenses are sold.
2) Zeiss Conquest tubes are made in Long Island, NY, at Zeiss' own facility.
3) Zeiss power ranges are as stated.
4) The optics in Zeiss scopes are made by Zeiss, imported from Germany.
5) Zeiss conducts sporadic destructive recoil testing; however, it is a small percentage of their production. None of these scopes are sold; they are destroyed after testing.
6) Light transmission through Zeiss Conquest tubes is approx. 93%. Zeiss was quick to point out that what degrades image quality is the grade of glass. Lead and arsenic content is destructive to scope images; that is why Zeiss is quite proud of their lead-arsenic free glass. Production of optical glass requires analysis and variation of the refraction factor, etc., so that the best possible combination and compounding ratio can be selected. To eliminate the use of lead (lead oxide), it was discovered that titanium oxide compares well with lead. Titanium oxide does no harm to the human body; it also renders a high refraction factor and is chemically stable. A big plus for scope use is more lightweight lenses, as titanium oxide is very light.

The 93% light transmission seems a bit light compared to other claims. Zeiss explained that they don't measure "light transmission" like other manufacturers, they go "air to air" not "lens-to-lens." The lead-free arsenic-free glass allows for non-distorted light, which is allegedly more perceptible and usable by the human eye, along with their own coatings, which they feel are generations ahead of the many scope gluers.

Naturally, I also asked why they felt they were "ahead?" The answer was, as they actually make their own glass (Schott), they should know a little bit more about it than people who just buy it.

Mike30-06 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike30-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2005 at 19:23

Conquest!

I have owned both at one time, Conquest better clarity and brightness.

I had the Conquest on a Rem 300 Ultra Mag, now talk about ruggedness. Never, I repeat never had to rezero the rifle in.

Conquest is the better scope IMO.

Mike30-06

Squirrel's get stressed around me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic