OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for RRA LAR-8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BGD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for RRA LAR-8
    Posted: August/25/2010 at 19:58
Hi,
I just purchased a RRA LAR-8 308 carbine. I like to deer hunt and I want to use it next year (Fall 2011). Does anyone have any suggestions for a scope? I have no experience with the battery operated type of scope and don't know much about them. I have 2 Leoplold VX III 3.5 X10 scopes on my browning bold action rifles, but I am not sure that this is the best option for the LAR-8. I really don't want to pay over 1000.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 20:02

I would look at the Trijicon Accupoints.  great hunting scope. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 20:02
BTW Welcome to the OT
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 22:18
BGD welcome to the OT.+1 for Trijicon.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 09:40
At what ranges will you be shooting?
What is your budget?

Zeiss Conquest
Trijicon Accupoint
IOR
Meopta
Kahles
SS 3-9 FFP

On an AR, mounts are more important than you'd think.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
BGD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BGD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 12:15
Thanks for the suggestions and the welcome. The Trijicon Accupoint looks good. For deer probably just out to 200 yards. I may play at the range at longer distances. I would like to stay in the $1000.00 area. I need to look at the other scopes.

Thanks
VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 12:46
Have you looked at SWFA SS line of scopes? But I guess you'd rather have 1 inchers...?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 13:52
If no low light hunting, Accupoint would not be my first recommendation.

hard to wrong with the 3-9 SS, and it fits well within your budget.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
midwestoffroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midwestoffroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 22:53
I have the DPMS LR-308 and i have a 4-16 Monarch on it
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 00:45
It really depends on how you use the rifle. Almost anything can be used for hunting deer.  Are we talking the collapsable stock model or the fixed stock with a 20 in barrel.  If the collapsable stock shorter barrel version I believe I would go with a Trijicon ACOG. If the 20 in fixed stock the 3-9 super Sniper is a good choice for an all around scope or if you want higher power I would look at:
Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope Rapid Z 800 Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5214919972
  • Matte
  • Rapid Z 800
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Hunting Turrets
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$924.95
Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope Rapid Z 1000 Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5214909973
  • Matte
  • Rapid Z 1000
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$924.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
midwestoffroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midwestoffroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 01:07

I think theres plenty to choose from for deer and some target shooting 200-300 yards and youd be surprised  theres quite a bit in the 300-500 dollar range   I just bought a 6.5-20 Vortex viper and if i didnt already have my 4-16 monarch I would be buying one of the 4-12 vipers before there all gone especially at half the price as i paid  for my monarch with the sale going on now. 

BGD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BGD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 19:27
Thanks everyone,
I am starting to get interested in the Trijicon Accupoint TR22R. I need to find someplace that has one so I can look at it. The idea that you can keep both eyes open sounds interesting.  I have several months before I can afford one so I have plenty of time to investigate.

I just saw my brother in laws AR15 with the eotech sight. It is incredible how fast it is. If I wasn't going to deer hunt I would look at that style
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic