OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Muzzleloaders--whatcha shootin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muzzleloaders--whatcha shootin?
    Posted: August/25/2010 at 18:17
Whatcha shooting out of your smoke poles? I have a TC Triumph, Nikon Omega 3-9x40 and use 250gr TC Shockwaves with Black Harvester  Black sabots and 130gr or 777 Pellets (2x50+30) with CCI primers. 

I HATE sighting in for a ML!!! Too dang time comsuming. Thats what works for me. Sighted in at 150 yards---as that is my most common spot where i hunt that the deer come out at.---Bboy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 20:37
Shooting an older winchester in 45cal, with a 1x T/C scope.  It's out of date but it works, for some reason smoke poles just don't get me too excited.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 21:05
My Knight 50 cal w/Leupold 1.75-6x32 HD. For deer I use a Barnes MZ 250 gr pushed by 3 Pyrodex pellets.

bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 06:17
So Bboy how does that rig work for you ? I have never shot a muzzle loader but will get the chance in 2 weeks. How do you like the Nikon Omega Scope? That's the one built for muzzle loaders correct?
Is it a BDC ? I saw one in an ad that was. I have been a big fan of the Nikon BDC's for a long time. 
Did T/C and Nikon team up to make the Omega?
Thanks 
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 18:00
bman-------My TC Triumph is "da bomb". It took awhile getting it sighted in. 
Here's the long story:
I bought the Nikon Omega from another online retailer (I know I know). I believe this was before I knew about SWFA, cause I'm sure i would have had them price match. Anyways, mount the scope...take it to the range with my dad. I'd shoot a group. adjust. shoot a group, adjust. All the while cleaning in between EVERY shot!!! I tried cleaning after 2 shots once, but it took me like 10 minutes to clean instead of the 2 with one shot...needless to say I learned my lesson. That pyrodex pellets is dirty stuff.
Anywho, I'd adjust the scope and shoot again and nothing would happen. I'd adjust again and shoot and the shot would move the distance of what I adjusted PLUS the previous adjustment. We played with it for awhile to learn that the new scope was bad. I emailed the online retailer and told them my trouble. They told me to send it back for a replacement--EVEN though all they had was a 30 or 60 day return policy and I was outside of that window. They could have said "tuff luck; call Nikon", but they didn't and I commend them for that. Got my SECOND Omega and it worked like a champ!
It took so long to sight in in the begginning because I kept changing things around to see what my gun liked. I finally wised up, got on a hunting forum under the ML section and asked what people with TC Triumphs shot.
That's where i learned that EVERY component can drastically change your accuracy.
Primers affect accuracy. I started with Winchester 777, but learned that CCI's are hotter and burn more of your powder. I shoot CCI's now.
Sabots affect accuracy. I was using whatever came with the bullets. I'm shooting Short black sabots from Harvester ( I believe is the name). Again--learned from the hunting forum.
Guys said they've had not only the best accuracy but also tremendous knock down power with the TC shockwave and most liked the 250gr. My dad said and still says I'm crazy for shooting such a heavy bullet (He shoots 180gr with I think only 2 777 pellets (100 gr)  ). But it works for me like it works for others.
Once I decided on what I was gonna use, all I had to "play" with was powder charge. I like the convenience of the pellets. So I started with 2x50=100grs. I also bought a pack of 777 30gr pellets so I could mix it up and have different powder weights. I finally went with 2x50gr + 1x30gr= 130gr that my gun seemed to like the best.
Now I sighted in at 150 yards, as this is the most common spot where deer come out at late in the evening. I didn't want to have to "guess" so its dead on.
I have the regular cross hairs called "Niko-plex".
I absolutely LOVE the scope. It was the best scope I had until I got my Zeiss Conquest. Very good scope for the money! I recommend one or get you a closeout Vortex Viper 2-7x32.  The closeout Viper will be less expensive if you're trying to save some money. That same retailer emailed me their sales flyer and they have some Omegas on sale. PM me and I'll let you know who it is and then have SWFA price match.
The Omegas are built for a hard hitting gun like 50 cal muzzleloaders are. I like that cause you won't lose zero. 
Enough rambling--hope this helps----Bboy623

Edited by Bboy623 - August/26/2010 at 18:03
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 18:09

Here's my TC Triumph with Nikon Omega on Talley rings---Bboy623

Edited by Bboy623 - August/26/2010 at 18:13
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 23:05
Bboy, thank for all that info, it really helped inform me on what to expect.
Did your gun come with bases or did you have to buy them extra?
Nice set up by the way! I noticed Nikon has an Omega 3-9x40 with a BDC reticle. I bet that will help you reach out.....
Also, check out the Spot On Ballistic Match Tech. Program. It covers 50 cal. muzzle loaders! Go figure....Great data at your finger tips with only a few clicks. 

http://www.nikonhunting.com/spoton/ 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 23:19
Man-O-Man....al these T/C's. You guys have been watching to much Versus Country..............................Big Grin
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 20:12
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Man-O-Man....al these T/C's. You guys have been watching to much Versus Country..............................Big Grin

Hey thats good TV right there, don't care who  you are (read like Larry the Cable Guy)--Bboy623
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 09:12
Bboy, I agree. I know all those shows have advertisers but I still like watching them. If their product is good I am not above trying it it unless I know something better. As I was telling a guy the other day, I won't go with a guide/outfitter who I can't get an in person referral about. Gone are the days of showing up and being disappointed and out $$. If a freind of a friend know's them that's ok too. 
Same with all the shooting gear out there. Everyone has an opinion on what they think is best. Same with me. If stuff works well for me I figure it will work well for others. I love hearing about good equip., may save me time and money. Heck that's how I became a Ford guys.

284winguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 284winguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 06:31
 I use my Knight, Leupold 1.75-6, 120 grns Blackhorn 209 & a 250 grn Hornady SST sabot. I also recently upgraded to a Lehigh Gen II non-plastic jacked breech plug. This new breech plug keeps the bolt area MUCH cleaner with a flash channel optimized for B209. I'm partial to Knight & own 4.
284winguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 284winguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 09:07
 I just checked my trigger again, right at 2.5lbs on the Knight.    Yippee
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 02:59
I used to have up until recently my handgun licence here in Australia and I used to own a Colt 1851 Navy .36, a Colt 1860 Army .44 (both reproductions), a flintlock Pedersoli Kentucky pistol in .50 and a flintlock Pedersoli Harpers Ferry pistol in .58...until they were confiscated by the government (police) due to them not liking the paperwork I gave them logging my (six times a year) club shoot attendances...

I still own both a percussion 1853 3 banded Enfield musket in .58 and a flintlock Pedersoli Brown Bess in .75 (my mother bought it 4 years back and haven't shot it yet).

Totally hopeless shooting pistol but the Enfield does 4 to 5 inch groups at 50m using a rest.
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 08:46
My 2 Encores topped with Leupold 2.5-8's ( flanked by my AR's ),.. I shoot 130gr 777 pellets, use Winchester BPowder 209's ,and launch 250gr ez glide T/C ( Hornady ) bonded sabots.. I can get 1.5 inch groups with this combo at 100 yd.s .. My son ( topped by  Bushnell 4200 Elite 1.5 -6 )  and father ( topped by a Monarch 2-8 ) both rely on T/C Omegas shooting a similar load , although my son uses three 50 gr pellets of 777 . Admittedly the Omegas have proved less fussy about which load they like .. with the worst load tried staying no worse than 3.5 inches at 100yd.s
Terry Lamb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 12:21
Welp, almost pure traditionalist here, shooting T/C .50 Cal Hawken percussion, T/C Maxi Balls, 90 Grs Pyrodex. Have taken many elk and some deer, and am astounded at the newfangled in-line muzzleloaders with large optics. (In-Lines illegal in some western states, as well as any glass siting devices).

These modern rifles are fine for many, but their high performance, immunity to the elements, and resulting high hunter success have resulted in drastic curtailment of muzzleloader seasons where they are allowed.
Terry Lamb
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 12:24
Originally posted by Terry Lamb Terry Lamb wrote:

These modern rifles are fine for many, but their high performance, immunity to the elements, and resulting high hunter success have resulted in drastic curtailment of muzzleloader seasons where they are allowed.

No doubt.  We only have a week in Utah for the muzzleloader hunt.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 17:09
I have had several muskets and still have three TC guns I gave a fourth to my nephew for Christmas. I had a Knight .45 cal and it would foul the breach plug after 3 shots you were done.  I use 120 gr in two rifles and 150 in the third all loose powder.  Barnes 250 TMZ.  30+ yr Old shotgun primers I inherited from my Dad - (as long as they work consistently Im going to keep using them too).   Nikon Omega 3-9 BDC on mine.  Paul has a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 30mm and he dials in correction (last trip to the range he was at 600 yds and was a tad low dialing in plus 40 moa when he ran out of elevation.)  Dont be fooled these guns will kill stuff a long way off they just have a nasty trajectory arc.  Prestons has a Sightron S1 Mil Dot on it.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/31/2010 at 17:11

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2010 at 08:18
Strictly Old School
Pedersoli Blue Ridge Carbine, full buckhorn sights, and a patched round ball over 90g of 2ffg.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 17:57
Finally got to shoot the T/C Omega with a new Nikon Omega 3-9 BDC 300 scope on it. What a blast. Easily  had 3 shots touching  at 100 yards. Hopefully next year in Kansas I can give it a try deer hunting.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 12:57
TC seneca with 36 & 45 cal bbls. TC renegade .50cal and a CVA 50 cal inline I bought off a guy for $35. I have never hunted with the inline but as my eyes age I might be forced to consider it with a scope.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic