OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Snake found in SWFA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 11:22
If Yellow touches RED it will kill you FN Dead
Corral snakes are red yellow black striped around the body the non poisionous similar snake has white bands not yellow bands and the white touches black then red touches black.
Not a snake fan - too many close calls. It was a very unhappy thing when my daughter had one as a pet.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 11:26

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 11:59

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 12:10
I grew up in Florida.  Saw my share of rattlers.  The snakes that made me want to kill them all is the Cottonmouth Water Moccasin.  They are just plain MEAN.  It is very easy to irrate a Moccasin!  I have been chased by more than one and thats DAMN scary!  Its the only american snake I know of that won't head the other way if given a chance.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 12:23
Had some herpatologist on the radio the other day saying that water moccasins aren't chasing you they are just confusing you for a log or some other cover; and Santa Claus had the Easter Bunny for dinner.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 12:28
I'd tell him to get his butt in the water and once one starts chasing him he needs to lay in the water and float like a log and see what happens.

Water moccasins are like red ground hornets, they don't play and they hit hard.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 12:42

I know a guy bit by a hunge water moccasin that  laid in the ER in a chemical endused comma from the pain for 4 days.  His leg looked like it was a dead log  He still walks with a limp.  They don't play at all!

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
snakeman48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeman48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 13:04
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I grew up in Florida.  Saw my share of rattlers.  The snakes that made me want to kill them all is the Cottonmouth Water Moccasin.  They are just plain MEAN.  It is very easy to irrate a Moccasin!  I have been chased by more than one and thats DAMN scary!  Its the only american snake I know of that won't head the other way if given a chance.

As far as snakes go, the Water Moccasin does have a very short fuse. The Copperhead isn't to far behind in the attitude dept. At least the Copperhead will retreat if given the chance. Not the Moccasin.

Sure glad we don't have neither up here in Michigan.
Our only venomous snake is the Massasauga Rattlesnake. They are rather docile, but will strike if provoked. I did have one in my collection at one time, to show people what they look like.

Was rather laid back, but I hardly ever handled it with out heavy glove on. It lived about 10 years in captivity.

Edited by snakeman48 - August/26/2010 at 13:05
NRA Benefactor Member.    Veteran; US Army 5th Corps 1970-1972

The only time in my life when I got to Rock-N-Roll, and the ammo was free!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 21:10
you guys can keep all those damn snakes and killer bees etc. i dont want anything to do with them.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 21:39
I know nothing about Water Moccasins, or Copperheads, but it sounds like a scary situation to be in if you stumble across one.

Rattlesnakes can be pretty nasty too. I saw a special about a California ER that specialize in treating rattlesnake bites and the wounds on some of the people bitten were horrific. It looked like the muscle tissue just deflated into a blackened pool of mush. The ER Dr.on the show said that once bitten, "time was tissue".  Dead

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 19:20
CFII , sell him on the SL. or snake broker.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 20:24
Would that be a Demo B or Demo C on the sample list???? 
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2010 at 19:34
Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

We killed it. I'm no snake expert but it resembles a copperhead to much for me to want to chance it, I do know that much.

Good man!---Bboy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic