OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What ATV do you have and why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What ATV do you have and why?
    Posted: August/24/2010 at 21:39
Was curious to know who uses an ATV (4 wheeler or side by side) when hunting. What brand did you buy and why?--Bboy623Yippee
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
midwestoffroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midwestoffroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2010 at 22:14
I have a 06 700 Suzuki Kingquad a  06 400 arctic cat  4x4 and a 2001 polaris trailblazer 2wd, my dad has a 325 and a 400,700 polaris sportsman and my brother a 500 sportsman and a 1999 trail boss. and my brother in law a yamaha kodiak and a raptor.

each has its upsides and each its down..
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2010 at 22:26
My 4x4 is named Roy.  He was a wild mustang.  Yes, you have to feed him, and tie him up out in the woods, but he will take me places no four wheeler will go, and he is quiet.  Kinda like having stealth mode.

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2010 at 22:45
Here is mine.  Yamaha Grizzly 700

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2010 at 23:04
'04 Yamaha Kodiak 450

The terrain where we hunt and how I ride, I didn't feel the need for anything larger than a 500 (I also use it to trail ride, etc. up in the mountains with my buddies, most who have raptors, etc.). It does very well for a 4x4 ATV.

I'm looking at possibly getting the new 550 Grizzly and passing the Kodiak on to my daughter.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 01:41
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

My 4x4 is named Roy.  He was a wild mustang.  Yes, you have to feed him, and tie him up out in the woods, but he will take me places no four wheeler will go, and he is quiet.  Kinda like having stealth mode.

Nice 4wheeler...
Mine are too old now, and never did like guns.

I walk...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 07:09
'05 Polaris Sportsman 800.

Bought it because at the time, it was one of the few with fuel injection (a huge advantage if you periodically take it into high altitude), and I planned to work it hard, hauling stuff and pulling trailers.  At the time, only the Brute Force 750 had more HP (but the BF didn't have EFI then), but it had the highest towing capacity in the industry.  It also had higher ground clearance than most, and I wanted full independent rear suspension, low range, extra storage, and AWD front locker.

Edited by RifleDude - August/25/2010 at 07:13
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 08:09
94 Honda 300.  Because you put gas in it and ride.  Honda stopped making it because it was TOO GOOD. 
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 08:35
Originally posted by magshooter1 magshooter1 wrote:

94 Honda 300.  Because you put gas in it and ride.  Honda stopped making it because it was TOO GOOD. 

My dad still has a 94 honda 300.  They are great machines.  Ours is dedicated as a snow plow now, we never take the blade off. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 08:36
Hey Mike don't you just love those Maxis Bighorn tires?  Best tires we have ever used.  We have them on our Honda Rincons.  One of them  has over 6000 miles on the set and they still look nearly new.  They just last and last.  The traction they provide is amazing.  We have been running wheelers since 84, and those are the best we have ever used.

Derrik View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 09:39

This is my rig for Praire Dog hunting.   Big Grin
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 09:45
LOL, that is sweet  Thunbs Up

Derrik View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 09:50
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

LOL, that is sweet  Thunbs Up
Haha thanks. My dad and i put that together about 10 years ago when that Honda was brand new. That thing has been through hell and back and still runs like a champ. Excellent Honda has my vote in the ATV category.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 09:58
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Derrik View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 09:59
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

That thing dosent scare all of the game animals away svt?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 10:22
I'm waiting for the mud fightGet Your Popcorn Ready
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 10:35
Originally posted by Derrik Derrik wrote:

This is my rig for Praire Dog hunting.   Big Grin

Excellent

Thunbs Up
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 10:40
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Hey Mike don't you just love those Maxis Bighorn tires?  Best tires we have ever used.  We have them on our Honda Rincons.  One of them  has over 6000 miles on the set and they still look nearly new.  They just last and last.  The traction they provide is amazing.  We have been running wheelers since 84, and those are the best we have ever used.

Absolutely!!!  Thunbs Up    Thunbs Up

Their excellent on the trails, in the mud, through creeks. I tested 'em for the first time up in the snow  by Tahoe this past July and they passed with flying colors. My buddy has these for his Rhino and I'll be getting them again (if they ever wear out).

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 10:40
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 10:43
Dad has one of those I sold my four wheeler and bought my mini truck and built it. Mainly cause I wanted a mini truck but Chris or my Dad would let me take theirs if needed also. Chris' honda has seen a few feet of air with me in the seat. Peeker
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic