OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Love for the 17 HMR!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Love for the 17 HMR!
    Posted: August/24/2010 at 21:24
Just get too excited everytime I take out my "cheap" savage 17 and shoot some 1 hole shot groups and P dogs.  Everytime I take this rifle out with people that dont have one, I swear they own one within a couple weeks. 

I know people think max range on this about 150, but with some work in the wind was hitting p dogs at just over 200 tonight.  What a fun rifle.  If you dont have one, get one Wink

Had to share, it was fun after work...
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 07:16
I agree!  .17 HMR is very fun to shoot!  I've busted more than my share of pd's with it myself.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 07:19
I have the savage base model 93r17. I have not had a chance to shoot any animals with it but It is a lot of fun to shoot period. I like to shoot the surpluss garden variety that has gotten a little over ripe. The soda can comparison between it and a 22 is also a fun experiement. Shoot a soda can (full unopened) with a 22 and then with the 17. The 17 does more damage to the can.
VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 08:15
.22LR is a dynamite.
.17HMR is C4 Big Grin

Love them both! My .22LR Savage is deadly out to 150 yards on a good day while .17HMR Savage can be stretched out to 200+

Gog Bless Rimfires!
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 08:59
Does anyone make a .17 in a semi-auto like a 10/22?
That would be big fun and the accessories out there are amazing.
VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 09:24
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 09:41
I was thinking the same thing on the semi auto...just like the 10/22.  The Volq model is a little more then i want to spend...so if ruger could come out with something would be sweet!

Its a heck of a fun little round.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2010 at 07:54
Hornady has a warning on their website that says the .17hmr should not be used in semi auto configurations. Bolt only.
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2010 at 11:07
The 93 R 17 HMR impressed me. I didn`t think you could get so much rifle for so little.
The Accu trigger works great. To me the trigger always seem to be the problem on cheaper 22s 17s etc, but this one is a winner.Super
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 10:32
Now I am thinking about the 204 Ruger. Not apples and apples compared to the HMR, But with Nikon's Coyote Special 4.5-14 Coyote Retical and DPMS accuracy it should be quite a rig.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic