OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hey koshkin . . .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgcurrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey koshkin . . .
    Posted: November/02/2005 at 19:47

If I was looking between the Sightron SII 3-9x42 and a Burris Signature 3-9x40 which one would you go with?  Right now I am trying to put together a list of 3-9s depending on how much jack I have at the time (or if the right deal pops up).

Anyone else with experience with the two feel free to chime in.

Thanks,

rgc

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2005 at 23:51
This would be a tough call for me. 

Sightron has a little more eye relief and is a fair bit cheaper, so it would be a better bang for the buck.  Also the adjustments on the Sightron are a bit better. 

Optically quality here is tough to call and both scopes are pretty sturdy.  Sightron has a replacement warranty which is nice, but I have never had to use.  I have not had to send my Burris scopes in either, though.

Look through them side by side and see which you like better.  We all have different eyes and my impressions may not translate directly.

Ilya
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2005 at 08:54
Sightron are made in Japan (Hakko?) I don't know for sure. Not that it's a problem and Burris is owned by Berretta, not that its a problem. Selecting a scope in the 3x9 catagory- it would be hard to find a bad product by any manufacture. (Well maybe BSA or someother lower end). I use a Burris 3x9 on several guns, and with the scope sold seperately from the spotting scope, it is difficult to beat the price. They are not in the same quality as a Nikon monarch or Leo3. I disagree with Koshkin that the adjustments are better on the Sightrons. In this price catagory one can take several of the same scopes off a dealers shelf and find variations in the "tightness" of the adjustments. One test I always use is to grab the scope and "rip" through the adjustments as fast as the dial will go from top to bottom. Do this several times to "loosen" up the device, One of the scopes will slip less than the rest. I have actually had scope dials break off doing this, and seen others that were actually "frozen". Then if possible leave the scope out in the hot sun for a day and see if the lubricant "leaks" out around the dial and seals, then test it again to see if the "adjustments" are now stiffer. (If so-send it in).
rgcurrey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgcurrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2005 at 10:03

Thanks Koshkin.  Looks like it may not be worth it to spend the extra $115 on a Burris Signature.  Still thinking.

Dale, great idea for some test, might consider doing all that after hunting season as I can't get a spare right now.

"They are not in the same quality as a Nikon monarch or Leo3."   --- I thought that the Burris Signature was in this league as far as quality.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2005 at 11:47

I do not know which exact factory Sightrons are made in.  I also heard that Sightron has its own factory and does OEM work for others, but I've never been able to confirm it.

As for the adjustments, I think that Weaver Grand Slam and Sightron S2/S3 have some of the best adjustments out there, IMO, better than Monarch, Leo3, Signature, etc. 

Dale, have you ever had problems with Sightron S2 adjustments?

Optically I think Signature is easily on par with (or better than) Monarch and VX-III, but yet again we all have different eyes.  Sightron S2 is in the same league as well, IMO.

Ilya

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic