OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Savage 10FCP-K?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 17:32
When you say lower, how much lower? 10,14?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 19:34
I'd say nothing over 14-16x
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 00:33
I would say 10 to start with. The reasoning is quite simple. At 10X 100 yards is akin to looking at something at 10 yards. 200 akin to 20, and so on. If you have very steady hands you may be able to start with something as high as 15 or even 20, but once you have owned the scope for a while you will begin to appreciate the lower settings. You are quicker to get on target and actually squeeze it, because the picture wobble isn't slowing you down.

Additionally, I have seen many a newby to shooting, use a higher mag setting than necessary while hunting. This can cost you a rare opportunity at a large buck. Don't ask me how I know this, just suffice it to say I was a newby to scopes use 23 years ago, and have made enough mistakes.
Higher magnifications lend to much smaller field of views, and hence getting on the target you just saw, might be to slow for getting the chance to shoot. Or you get on target and the damned picture wobble slows your trigger squeeze time, and then the opportunity is gone.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Vedak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 00:46

Perhaps the 4-16x Viper PST would be a better choice?

One things is for sure, and that's I will be purchasing the 5-20x50 SWFA SS if it ever comes out.
There's already another rifle on my list. Big Grin
I like rice.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 01:06
Sightron 6-24x50 SIII 30mm Riflescope Mil-Dot Sightron 6-24x50 SIII 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SIIISS624X50LRMD
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
$804.95
Sightron 16x42 SIII 30mm Riflescope Sightron 16x42 SIII 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SIII16X42MMD
  • Matte
  • Modified Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • Target Knobs
$549.95
I have a feeling my next scope will be one of the 16x Sightron SIII because it has  150 moa of internal adjustment.  I really prefer a scope in the 4-16 power range.  I would be comfortable buying a Leupold in the 6.5-20x50 VX3 with target knobs as they have 90 moa of internal adjustment which is more than the Mk4 version.   Lets just say I took two rifles to the range today and the one I shoot more I started with the 2-7 BDC Viper mounted on it and the 6x42 FX3 Leupold  heavy duplex on the other one. After going over them a bit I switched scopes. I just really like the FX3 6x42 and while at first the heavy duplex seems clumsy heavy the darn thing shoots pretty good and you sure dont loose the crosshairs in low light and this was right at dark.  I know we have a few Leupold haters here but I have had pretty good luck with the ones I own.  I will admit that the Zeiss Conquest is far better glass for the same kind of money but Leupold does have certain features that I particularly like.  I am not wild about the lower end Leupolds but the FX3 and VX3 line seems to be quite useable and I believe I could keep meat on the table with one.
 I know we have a number of guys who are just ranting about what great scopes the Vortex Viper is but so far I am not that impressed I think if I had the opportunity to look it over in person I would have spend more money and bought the Zeiss Conquest. Since the Viper went onto the .375 H&H Encore Devil we will see just how tough it really is.  

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/26/2010 at 01:24

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 05:16
Right now I have a Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40 SF with the BDC Reticle on a Marlin bolt action 22LR. At 25 yards it'll put 8 shots into a dime sized hole. The scope is incredibly clear with multicoated lens and 1/8 in. MOA adjustments which really help with the ability to dial it in on target. We haven't shot it at 100 yards yet but will. As I told someone earlier, I went to the Nikonhunting.com web site and checked out the 22LR ballistices on the Spot On Ballistic Technology program. Very informative.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/spoton/
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 05:25

BRight now I have a Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40 SF with the BDC Reticle on a Marlin bolt action 22LR. At 25 yards it'll put 8 shots into a dime sized hole. The scope is incredibly clear with multicoated lens and 1/8 in. MOA adjustments which really help with the ability to dial it in on target. We haven't shot it at 100 yards yet but will. As I told someone earlier, I went to the Nikonhunting.com web site and checked out the 22LR ballistices on the Spot On Ballistic Technology program. Very informative.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/spoton   

I think it was around $320 from an Authorized Nikon Dealer.
I think buy it from an Authorized Dealer makes a big difference especially in their knowledge of the product.

a

auckmasters 6-18X40 SF Matte BDCBuckmasters 6-18X40 SF Matte BDC

Vedak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2010 at 17:53
Tired of me yet fellas?

I've got yet more questions.  (sorry)

The Viper PST has a 50mm objective. I assume that adding that large of an obj, would raise the eye level on my stock.

Do you think I will need to add some sort of cheek piece to level it out, or would the 50obj still be okay for standard viewing height?

I've been reading a combination of people using 20moa bases and low rings, or 0moa bases and high rings for the scope mount setup. Of these two, what's the difference- what would you suggest?

Thanks again
I like rice.
Vedak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 16:04
Any suggestions guys?
I like rice.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 21:12
depends really on the person if nothing else a karson checkpiece would be in order
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Vedak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 02:47
SVT, Thank you! 

That was the exact Cheekpiece I have been trying to figure out for quite some time now. This has been very helpful, I will order it right away. 
I like rice.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 07:47
No problem  good luck and make sure to get us some pictures when its all buttoned up
Vedak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 13:34

Will do SVT, Due to some unforseen circumstances- my planned scope purchase date has been set back. However I can still order the cheekpiece and scope mounts in that time. The cheekpiece will be the coolest thing for me, since I've always wondered what it was- where to get it, and if it could mount to a factory stock.

My friend is a photographer, so hopefully when everything is set up, I'll have some decent photos.
I like rice.
Vedak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 17:02
Ended up ordering the SS 10x42 scope, and EGW 20MOA base and medium rings.
 I originally ordered the TPS mounting kit, only to find out they were on back-order.

Hopefully it shows up by next week, I plan to hit the range and break the new rifle in.

Does anyone have any opinions about EGW vs. TPS mounts? The TPS kit actually looks better and costs less.
I like rice.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 17:49
I love TPS rings, but have never seen their rails. I assume they are good to go as well.
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 18:32
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

depends really on the person if nothing else a karson checkpiece would be in order

Thanks SVT I have been wanting one of those and now I have a brand.
Gerald Baker
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 18:35
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I love TPS rings, but have never seen their rails. I assume they are good to go as well.
they are
Vedak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 18:56
I would have preferred the TPS setup, but they were backordered. And I need to have my rifle mounted up by next weekend, so the only choice was the EGW kit. Can't always get what you want right away I guess. 
I like rice.
Vedak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 03:18
Got the scope mounted up today. Theres about a 12mm gap between the bottom of the front bell and the barrel. Is this too much? I was thinking about getting some low rings and swap them with the curren Med. height ones.
I like rice.
Vedak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 18:29
Sorry for the bad phone photo guys. Can't find my camera right now. Also- please excuse the back drop- I wasn't thinking when taking the picture.

I like rice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic