OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Savage 10FCP-K?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Savage 10FCP-K?
    Posted: August/23/2010 at 19:11
Hello All,

I will be picking up a Savage Arms 10 FCP-K next month. And in need of some assistance with scope selection for it.

The rifle is a .308win. My goal is primarily target shooting at 100-300 yards. But would still like my options open, when I am good enough to reach out to 700+ yards. Weather conditions here are usually warm with little to mild wind (if that helps). As well as generally flat terrain. 

I am VERY new to shooting and very excited to get everything set up. My budget is anywhere from $500-1300. However with anything over $600, I would like to stick with specific brands- since my LGS allows lay-away. Those brands would include the following: Millet, Nikon, Nikkor, Leupold, Simmons, Redfield, Zeiss.

Currently, I am very interested in the SS 3-9x42, but unsure if that will be enough magnification once I start reaching out to the 700+ range. Other scopes that I had on my list was the Leupold VX-3L 6.5-20x56, Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50 , Vortex 4-16x50 Viper PST, Millet 4-16x56 TRS, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50.

I know the prices on these scopes are up and down, but they are just scopes of interest.
I like rice.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2010 at 19:25
First off Welcome to the OT.

Of what you listed I would go with the SS 3-9 or the vortex viper.  Both have ironclad warranties, if you ever needed, and a loyal following because of their toughness and value.  The SS would be plenty to reach out to those distances but as a beginning shooter I can see you liking the added magnification of the Viper.  Both are great scopes.  I have the 3-9 SS and a 6.5-20 Viper and like them both.  What ever you get make sure to mount in quality rings and a base, may I suggest TPS.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2010 at 19:28
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Vedak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2010 at 06:47
Thanks for the replies guys.

SVT- I am thinking seriously about the SS 3-9x42 more over the Viper. For some reason it seems more appealing to me.

It would be fantastic is SS would could out with that 5-20X scope. It would be awesome to have one.
However, why do you suggest an SS over the Leupolds mentioned above or Nikon?

Luctuma- Thanks for the link. I will throw that on my list of scopes to look at.

Being that this is my first bolt action rifle and anything larger than a .22LR- I want to get it done right the first time around. On a fair budget of course. Still gotta save up for a decent 1911. Big Grin
I like rice.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2010 at 07:45
The SS 3x9 is a solid scope and would be more than adequate out to 300yds and even 700 depending on your target. The 4-16x50 Viper gives me goose bumps and is an excellent choice and probably a little more versatile. The Zeiss Conquest in 4.5-14x50 would be a frontrunner for me as it has excellent glass for the money, the down side is the reticle is in the second focal plane but that may not make much difference depending on the target and distance.

As for Leupold, they are decent scopes with great cusomer service and warranties, but their glass is not as good as the price IMO. I don't think you could go wrong with a Leupy, but there are better scopes out there. 
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2010 at 08:34
Originally posted by Vedak Vedak wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys.

SVT- I am thinking seriously about the SS 3-9x42 more over the Viper. For some reason it seems more appealing to me.

It would be fantastic is SS would could out with that 5-20X scope. It would be awesome to have one.
However, why do you suggest an SS over the Leupolds mentioned above or Nikon?

Luctuma- Thanks for the link. I will throw that on my list of scopes to look at.

Being that this is my first bolt action rifle and anything larger than a .22LR- I want to get it done right the first time around. On a fair budget of course. Still gotta save up for a decent 1911. Big Grin
There are future SS's in the works as you read this.  Timetable has not been established but I would stay they are still several months from even getting close to naming a timetable. 

As far as the SS of Leupolds or Nikon, Nikons have limited elevation travel and I like to have plenty so my scopes stay in the middle range of travel vs the top or bottom.  The Leupolds, your paying for a gold ring on the scope.  better glass can be had for less or equal money, they thrive on their name alone to me.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2010 at 11:37
I mights uggest that if you are primarily just shooting paper, and are concerned with mag, and resolution, go with this. The lack of variable won't be a problem for targets in those ranges at all.

A kit for mounting is available here.

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2010 at 11:40
If you can't afford the HD version of the SS fixed 10X, Go with the standard one for 299.00. It is solid and will deliver what you will be needing for the application as well.

Cyborg
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2010 at 12:18
Better glass always beats more magnification.

If purely target, I'd save for the 10X SS HD, it is definitely "best in class" glass.

The 3-9 will give you much more versatility, it is a great scope and well worth considering.

Don't buy Leupold!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2010 at 14:23
Welcome to the OT Vedak,all great recommendations given but if If you decide to go with the Bushnell,go with the Elite 6500  2.5-16x 44 this is the most versitile scope around & it has rainguard and fire fly ret.& very good glass.I like my SS10X HD & I like my Elite 6500 but they are Apples & Oranges.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Vedak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2010 at 17:32
Thanks for all the welcomes and replies guys, it's been very helpful for me.

At this point, the 3-9SS is at the top of my list, based on your recommendations and positive things I've read. I'm not really sure how I'd like a fixed mag scope, due to never having used one.

Being so new to this, I couldn't imagine shooting passed 300 yards successfully anytime soon. Maybe when my skills advance enough to shoot that far, SS will release it's higher mag range scopes.

How new exactly is the 3-9x42 SS? Theres nothing even close to the amount of reviews for the fixed power ranges.
I like rice.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2010 at 18:35
I bought my first 10X about 10 years ago, they've been out for awhile.

In contrast, I got one of the first 3-9s, that was less than a year ago.

Don't worry, the 3-9 is a great optic.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Vedak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2010 at 18:59
Thanks Rancid,

Looks like it's gonna be the SS. 
I like rice.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2010 at 20:23
Good choice.
-Matt
Vedak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 01:17

Darn, back to looking at the Viper again.

Can't decide between the two anymore. I kind of really want more power.
The Viper would hold me over until the higher power SS' come out. assuming that's the route I'd go.
I like rice.
hometheaterman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 01:38
I'm in the same boat. I want a SS, but I want a variable scope with more power than the 3-9. I don't think the Viper is a bad choice though. If they had one on sale with mil dots, I'd get one. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 09:00
A lot of shooters want more power cause they think it will make them shoot better, its not the scope power all the time.  A 3-9 can shoot just as accurate and tight a group as a 20 power.  You dont' necessarly need that higher power.
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 11:31
It's hard to argue with success....

This is what I am going to put on my Brown Precision .375 H&H.

NIKON’S AFRICAN SERIES RIFLESCOPE AWARDED GOLDEN BULLSEYE  

Nikon’s African Series of riflescopes was awarded the Golden Bullseye for Optic of the Year by NRA’s American Hunter magazine during the 2010 NRA Annual Meetings and Exhibits, held May 13th to 18th in Charlotte, North Carolina. 

The Nikon Monarch African Series is purpose-built for African hunting and excels on dangerous or plains game. Available in 1-4x24mm with a 1-inch tube and German #4 reticle or a 30mm tube with the option of a regular German #4 or an Illuminated version. Both feature an ultra wide field of view, 4-time magnification range and generous eye relief.

“The Golden Bullseye Award is seen as such a huge accomplishment throughout the hunting and shooting industry, and something we all hope to win,” said Jon LaCorte, Senior Product Marketing Manager. “We are thrilled our Monarch African Series was selected as American Hunter’s 2010’s Optic of the Year.”
Vedak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 16:19
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

A lot of shooters want more power cause they think it will make them shoot better, its not the scope power all the time.  A 3-9 can shoot just as accurate and tight a group as a 20 power.  You dont' necessarly need that higher power.

I understand what you mean SVT, as much as I want the SS, the lack of more magnification turns me away for now. There's no doubht in my mind that an experienced shooter can use a 3-9 out to 1k+. But in my situation, I like to see the target as close as I can even in short ranges. Might have something to do with comfort.

My eye sight is not great, so the extra power would help. Again I very much appreciate your suggestions and input. Ive got a decent stretch of time before the actual purchase, so within that time I will keep reading to get a better idea of exactly what I want.
I like rice.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 16:43
Inexperienced shooters really need to start at lower magnifications. The reason is that, with higher mags every little twitch is going to make you nervous, because it will be magnified.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic