OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles question
    Posted: August/21/2010 at 21:13
Im sure this question has been answered half a dozen times on the forum but for the sake of interest can someone enlighten me on the CS model. Is this model optically the same as the CSX? I can find much on the CS model. I see the CSX is listed on the scope scale i was just curious about the CS version.   
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2010 at 00:42
Yes, the CSX and CS have the same optics.  The difference is CSX has reticle illumination and CS doesn't.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2010 at 20:05
Thanks Rifledude. I read conflicting articles on article said Swaro PH glass was a step under the CS and CSX Kahles. Read another article stating that the Kahles wasnt in the same league as the PH. Now i know Swaro owns Kahles, but i still feel they are probably around the same optically. Whats your expert take. And also since im a backsliding Leupold user i wont something very very durable. Will either PH or Kahles do in the durability wise or does one hold an edge.  
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2010 at 07:09
It's really tough to call between Swaro and Kahles.  I own scopes from both, and I can't really give one an edge over the other.  Whatever optical differences exist are so miniscule that it isn't worth worrying about.  Both are superb.  I can't say for certain which is more durable, as I haven't had a scope from either fail on me.

I would pick based on price and which one has a reticle you like best.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
TheDuke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDuke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2010 at 14:11
I would agree 100% in deciding between these fine scopes. Only other item may be FOV on the Z6's is massive, but if you don't need it, =price and reticle.
snakeman48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeman48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2010 at 21:12
How does the C Model fit into the mix?

So far my research has shown me the C is FFP, and the CS and CSX are SFP.
What about the glass?
NRA Benefactor Member.    Veteran; US Army 5th Corps 1970-1972

The only time in my life when I got to Rock-N-Roll, and the ammo was free!!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2010 at 23:04
ALL Kahles scopes from the 1" CL up to all the 30mm models have the same glass and coatings.

The C was simply their standard FFP reticle, non-illuminated, 30mm scope series.  CL, C, CB, CBX, CS, and CSX all had/ have the same glass and coatings.  CL, CS, and CSX are SFP; C, CB, and CBX are FFP.

Edited by RifleDude - August/23/2010 at 23:06
Ted

Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 09:54
I got the Kahles Helia CL 3-10x50 from CDNN for 50 cents on the dollar, but I would not give 25 cents on the dollar for another.

I like Leupold VX3 much better for looking through, and I like IOR better than that.

I have got (3) IOR scopes used for 50 cents on the dollar.

I can't get Leupold used for that cheap.

Most IOR and Leupold have lousy turrets, but so do Kahles.

I like the big turrets on some of my Leupolds, but dealing with the Leupold web site is more frustration than I can bear.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 10:10
I have never seen anything made by Leupold better looking through or at than anything made by Kahles...  Viva la difference...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
snakeman48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeman48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 12:18
Originally posted by Clark Clark wrote:

I got the Kahles Helia CL 3-10x50 from CDNN for 50 cents on the dollar, but I would not give 25 cents on the dollar for another.

I like Leupold VX3 much better for looking through, and I like IOR better than that.

I have got (3) IOR scopes used for 50 cents on the dollar.

I can't get Leupold used for that cheap.

Most IOR and Leupold have lousy turrets, but so do Kahles.

I like the big turrets on some of my Leupolds, but dealing with the Leupold web site is more frustration than I can bear.

Clark,

What did you not like about the Kahles Helia CL 3-10x50 you got from CDNN?

I now am a Kahles owner from my trade with little cleo, and the CL I have is one nice scope, vs the Leupold's VX-3's I still own.
The VX-3 turret's are nicer that any Leupold I've owned in the past, and a easier to turn with just fingers, vs the old coin slot turret on my Vari-X III's

I do agree the turrets on the Kahles are a bitch to turn. Wish somebody made a plastic tool to aid in turning that small protrusion on the dial.

NRA Benefactor Member.    Veteran; US Army 5th Corps 1970-1972

The only time in my life when I got to Rock-N-Roll, and the ammo was free!!
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 20:22
I dont think there is anything wrong with Leupold scopes at all. Maby the outsourced parts maby the glass idk. But the problem lies in the price as it relates to what your getting for that price. Ive been using them a long long time too. I use to log on here and see posts about vortex vs Leupold and all that and im like what the heck is a viper and why are these cats comparing the two. But see i educated myself. I know know vortex makes a great competitive product. In hindsight i think Leupold finally got quality and price range close together when they introduced the vx 3. IMO Im at almost a month in reviewing Kahles, Swarovski, and others in order to make a purchase i can be proud of.  And i dont wonna get burned in the process by buying from a company with shaky customer service ect.  
Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 11:19
Originally posted by snakeman48 snakeman48 wrote:

Clark,

What did you not like about the Kahles Helia CL 3-10x50 you got from CDNN?

I now am a Kahles owner from my trade with little cleo, and the CL I have is one nice scope, vs the Leupold's VX-3's I still own.

It takes much longer to get the target and the reticule in focus. It has side focus. Normally I like side focus.

The weight, color, and detail are good, if it ever gets in focus.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 11:24
no offense Clark, but you are the only person I have ever heard say anything negative about a Kahles

to me they are optically superior  to Leoupld and IOR

I trust you have adjusted the eyepiece focus?

my CL 3-10x50 is razor sharp all the way across the glass and the reticle is always focused
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic