OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Viper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shoot4fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Viper
    Posted: August/21/2010 at 18:30
I am trying to decide on either a Viper  3.5x10x50 with a 1" tube or a 6.5x20x44 with a 30mm tube for my savage 10ml smokeless muzzleloader. I will be deer hunting with it and will use in low light conditions. Need help to figure out which one is best and clearest in low light. Will  the 50mm obj with the 1" tube or the 44mm obj with the 30mm tube be better.  All help is appreciated. 
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 19:02
I think you would be better served using a lower mag range on a smoke pole. The vipers will all (with the possible exception of the PST) be the same optical quality.

I would go with this Viper on a smoke pole. Notice a nice heavy reticle, that is a plus when the light gets dim.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 19:16
On a muzzleloader you typically want scopes with as much eye relief as possible they have fairly significant recoil.
Nikon 1.65-5x36 Omega Muzzleloader Riflescope BDC 250 Nikon 1.65-5x36 Omega Muzzleloader Riflescope
Stock # - NIK8442
  • Matte
  • BDC 250
  • 1"
  • Eye Relief (in): 5 inches                 
  • $30 Rebate (Mail-In Coupon)
$209.95
Nikon 3-9x40 Omega Muzzleloader Riflescope Nikon 3-9x40 Omega Muzzleloader Riflescope
Stock # - NIK8458
  • Matte
  • BDC 300
  • 1"
  • $30 Rebate (Mail-In Coupon)
  • Eye Relief (in): 5
$249.95 
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
  • Eye Relief (in): 4
$299.95
I think any of these would make a good hunting scope for a musket because they have a fairly radical trajectory and you need a system to compensate for bullet drop. The BDC reticles work only at the highest power. The Super Sniper with tactical knobs allows you to dial in correction for different distances.  If you hunt stalking you need lower powers and 6x fixed would be the highest I would use for that. If you hunt from a stand or fixed position with a rest you can use the higer power optics. In any case when the sun starts to go down you get your maximum brightness at 6X with a 42mm scope or at 7x with a 50 mm scope dial down power to brighten the image but then BDC wont work only the center crosshair will.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/21/2010 at 19:49

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 19:55
Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope Z-Plex Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5214609920
  • Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
  • Eye Relief (in): 4
$399.95
Best and brightest glass is this on 6 power but it has no system for hold over except that you can use the point below center where the crosshair goes thin to thick as a known aiming point you just would have to see what it corresponds to because if the X is 100 it would likely be somewhere between 250 and 300 yds.  I get about ten inches drop between 100  and 200 yds with a 250 Barnes sabbot.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/21/2010 at 19:56

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 20:01
6.5-20 is just to much power for a M/L, but 3.5-10 would work pretty nice.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 20:05
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

6.5-20 is just to much power for a M/L, but 3.5-10 would work pretty nice.

i agree
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 21:12
+1 0n the Zeiss
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 23:06
I also think the 2-7 would be a good choice for a muzzle loader.  The BDC would be easy to dial in for various ranges.  Just run the dope through a calculator like JBM.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

That Viper 2-7 is one nice little scope, and has a generous exit pupil for low light.  It also has plenty of magnification for muzzle loader ranges.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11226.aspx

Of the two listed I would definitely go for the 3.5-10

-Matt
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2010 at 10:25
Shoot4fun---I agree with these guys. I have a Nikon Omega 3-9x40 ML Scope on my TC Triumph and LOVE it! It is bright and clear! The Zeiss will give you better glass. The Vipers are nice as well, and that 2-7x32 is a heck of a deal. If you're wanting the best low light for least $$$, go with the 3.5-10X50 Viper--Bboy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic