OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Enfield .303

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enfield .303
    Posted: August/20/2010 at 09:19
I just got an Enfield .303. Someone at some point along the way put alot of work into this one. It has an aftermarket composite stock. It has been rebarreled, the action has ben modified slightly and it has a eurolux scope on it. I cant wait to shoot it. Last night I spent cleaning it as it had not been cleaned ina really long time. The barrel had quite a bit of copper build up in it. Another thing I noticed is the rifling is unlike any I have seen. It is nothing like my savage 06. It looks more like pistol rifling. Mine looks very similar to the one below but it has a scope. 

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 09:47
The very first centerfire rifle I ever shot was a 303. Post some pics of yours when you get the chance.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 13:58
The 303 was also the first centerfire rifle I ever shot too, some 30 years ago! harvested my first deer with that rifle, and still have it today!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 15:09
I was 6 when I shot that rifle. I'm 45 now. That's a long time ago. Doesn't seem so, but when you do the math....Shocked

Cyborg
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 15:16
Im 45 too.... and when I done the math to figure out it had already been 30 years since I first fired that 303.... math suddenly became a scary subject!!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 15:31
You know, I think there were a number of us S. Ga. folks that the British 303 was one of the first guns used. I say that because the economy having been depressed in that part of the State, and the 303's being such a common and cheap surplus firearm. I know there were many in the S.C. low country that used, and still use that rifle. The rich folks had the American M1 carbine, or Garand, and some the Springfield. When anyone had a scoped rifle, you thought "wow they're rich."

Sorry I meant to say garand, and typed carbine twice.

Edited by cyborg - August/20/2010 at 15:32

Cyborg
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 16:09
I think you are 100% dead on and couldnt agree more! My first encounter with a scoped rifle was a sporterized springfield with a Redfield Illuminator on it that belonged to a man who had just moved here from New Hampshire... my first thought was... " man, it must be nice to be able to put that kind of money in a rifle!"  These days I have 31 scoped rifles, but that 303 does not, and will never wear a scope... I learned alot of things from that rifle, and while it doesnt go to the woods very often anymore, it will always be one of my very favorites!
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 22:38

There's still plenty of (No. 1 Mark III) .303s (you have a No. 4) still being shot over here despite being last manufactured sometime in the early 1950s...would have to be THE most bastardised gun around (stocks sporterised and rebarrelled in a variety of calibres).

John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 21:14
Like a big dummy I sold a Gibbs Quest Enfield in 308 .. Shot pretty good, but I had my eye on my first over and under and needed the bucks.. the bolt sure can be worked fast on them

Edited by martin3175 - August/21/2010 at 21:15
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2010 at 10:55
I will try and put some pictures up at some point. I dont have a digita camera at the moment so I would have to borrow one. With the rifle came 350 rounds of surpluss army ball ammo.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 11:18
Turns out the .303 rounds that I have ar cordite rounds. Pulled one apart just for fun because I couldn't hear the powder when I shook the round. The bullet comes out then there is a small carboard disk and then many long strands of cordite. I burned it to see what it does. Its like a slow burning fuse. Makes me wonder how it even propells the bullet. Of course powder wont really explode either unless its pressurized and ignited forcefully.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2010 at 18:06
Here is my Enfield. Turns out the scope in it is not good. The reticle rotates when you shoot it. It came on the gun so I guess I cant complain too much. The scope is a eurolux so I doubt I can find anyone to fix it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic