OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupolds Customer Service!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupolds Customer Service!!
    Posted: August/19/2010 at 19:22
Well, I for one am one very satisfied Leupold Customer!!

The UPS driver dropped off a shipment today at my house; it was (2) boxes with returned repair items in them. I have used Leupold products for years, but never had sent anything in for repair. Last week, on Thursday I sent off (2) binoculars for some very minor repairs; they could not have received them before Friday, maybe Saturday.

Before I sent them I asked about turn around time and they told me it was about 3-4 weeks back to me once they got them and they were in their system. That seemed very reasonable considering the time of year. I have other binoculars and never asked for any rush at all. The repair report slip on both (with the final service activity on it) was dated 16-Aug-10 (Monday) and they were shipped out on Tuesday. Wow!! that means that they jumped on it on Monday and did what was needed and put them out for shipping to me within about a day, maybe two.

So... what was done?? One binocular that I sent in was a 3-4 year old superb Cascade Porro (now a discontinued item) that was in near perfect condition; the only problem was on the far distance infinity focus I was at about the very end of turning and even though I could see detail fine, it bugged me for a long time, because I always felt that maybe if I had a little more turn in the focus, maybe some more detail would present itself. And, I only had this problem when I used the binoculars without my glasses; with my glasses on I had more than enough room in the focus travel at the end range. Also with my glasses on I realized that even with them off there was enough room in the focus wheel because I saw the same detail at infinity focus with or with out the glasses; it was just something that bugged me. I like to use my bino's for extended viewing often with out eyeglasses. I asked Leupold to see if they could re-adjust the focus travel.

So what did they do- They replaced them with brand New Ones! And this is for a model that is no longer in production.

2nd binocular was a mid-late 1980's 7x30 IF Gold Ring Porro, which has always been a nice,sharp and very functional fun little binocular to use. I only sent this one in for a check-up/ tuneup and just general "spiff" up job. Well, they "reworked the hinge" (I did not think it was a problem), "replaced rubber eyecups" (the roll down type) even though the old ones were still in good condition. Also did a "complete internal inspection and alignment" and did a thorough cleaning.

Now they look and function as brand new binoculars.

To say I am blown away and very pleased by my first experience with Leupold service is an understatement! I had used Swarovski's fine service before and was always pleased, and now Leupold matched that and maybe even one upped them -as far as the turn around time.

Edited by Roy Finn - August/19/2010 at 20:16
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 20:19
Good to know that Leupold repairs items quickly. Over the years, I've heard 100's of story's of how efficient their repair department operates.
Hitthespot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitthespot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 22:29
I had a pair of Leica 10 X 50 BN binoculars that was the same way.  At the infinity focus setting they were within a 1/8 of a turn from the end of the focus adjustment.  it always frustrated me for some reason just like you.   I ended up selling them but would have also sent them in for adjustment if I was going to keep them.

It  is always nice to hear good customer service stories.

I had contacted Swarovski customer service about my 1994 8 X 30 SLC binoculars.  They are working perfectly but I asked them if there was any matenance that needed or should be performed on them.  They said I should send them in for a complete check up and cleaning and there would be no cost to me.  I thought that was very nice of them.  I'm trying to decide if I really need or want to send them in.  They seem perfect me even after years of use.

Bill

stephen b View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 00:22

I had contacted Swarovski customer service about my 1994 8 X 30 SLC binoculars.  They are working perfectly but I asked them if there was any matenance that needed or should be performed on them.  They said I should send them in for a complete check up and cleaning and there would be no cost to me.  I thought that was very nice of them.  I'm trying to decide if I really need or want to send them in.  They seem perfect me even after years of use.

Bill

[/QUOTE]

I was certainly pleased with my service from Swarovski this year. I sent my 1999 7x30 Swaro SLC for a checkup and to tighten the hinge which had become slightly loose from wear over the years. They said my lenses were perfect, but they still spiffed up a few things and now they look like new. I think if I was you I would send them in-as it only costs you the shipping charge to them. Also even though they could not do it for me since they do not make the 7x30 anymore; I have heard that some people who have sent in their 8x30 SLC end up getting the newer lenses back with all the latest coatings. So it certainly does not hurt. They told me that they encourage people to send in their bino's every few years just for a check/tune up.

As far as Leupold's level of service I was very pleased.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 11:02
Good news and it is what i would expect. Now I get to see, sending back a pair of 6x30 yosemite with loud annoying noise coming from focus wheel.
+1 on Swarovski service, Sent them my discontinued 7x42 Habicht SL for repair and they basically rebuilt the binocular to new condition.No cost except shipping.

Edited by coyote95 - August/21/2010 at 11:20
stephen b View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 12:15
Originally posted by coyote95 coyote95 wrote:

Good news and it is what i would expect. Now I get to see, sending back a pair of 6x30 yosemite with loud annoying noise coming from focus wheel.
+1 on Swarovski service, Sent them my discontinued 7x42 Habicht SL for repair and they basically rebuilt the binocular to new condition.No cost except shipping.

Both great companies as far as CS is concerned. I bet they will just send you a brand new replacement pair of the YO's

Don't you just love the Swarovski service. How many companies will totally almost  rebuild a discontinued bino and bring it up to new or better than new condition. They not only build great products, but keep their customers happy long after the sale; -that is a mark of a great company in any industry!
easyrdr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easyrdr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2012 at 03:07
Contrast Leupold service with Steiner, which is done by Burris here in the US.  I have a pair of their binoculars that came basically broken from the manufacturer, the left focus does not focus at all and has gotten worse with use.  To get warranty work on this one must ship them prepaid to Burris with a check for $36 enclosed.  Expensive warranty.  And I presume that Steiner must be expecting a lot of warranty work.
pgc
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2012 at 06:02
Originally posted by coyote95 coyote95 wrote:

I had a similar experience with SONA (Swarovski) and my old 8x32's. I sent them back for maintenance, SONA cleaned them up and updated the entire outer shell, eye cups, etc. The only cost to me was shipping the bino's to them.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 01:05
IMHO, one of the reasons for buying from Leupold or Swarovski is their great customer service, you pay a few bucks more up front but it is worth it.
I sent a scope in to Leupold without calling them, they fixed it quickly and shipped it back..called me for my credit card # to pay for shipping which I considered totally reasonable.
Art
Good day.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 08:43
Here is my current SONA experience. When I got back from Alaska this year, I noticed some light scratches on the objectives of my SLC neus. Hmmm... how did that happen? I don't know, but something must have wiggled its way into an objective cover.

Anyway, I used them for the rest of the season, but knew that the scratches would bother me, so I sent them into SONA, using the online system. That was three weeks ago. Yesterday, I received an email stating the damage was not covered by warranty, and the cost would be $70. Not bad, I ponied up the cash, but have not heard how long it will be.

Good customer service IMO, but makes me appreciate No-Fault warranties like Vortex and Zeiss.
-Matt
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 10:27
I have had great CS with Leupold while I have never had to send a Leupold product in for damages/repairs/factory faults I have had several CDS dials made all less than a weeks time delivered to my door. One of the dials had the wrong information engraved on it I called them about it I had a new dial free of charge in 2 days also with a credit of two more dials.

I also had a great CS with swaro it was my fault for leaving a rifle with a recently installed swaro scope in my truck on 100+ degree day for a few hours therefore ruining the scope. I told them what happened and offered to pay for my mistake they said don't worry about it it's on us including the shipping. The second time I used their CS I loaned a rifle out to an underprivileged youth it came back with a big dent in the tube. I told them what happened same thing don't sweat it no charge not even shipping.

If you are honest about these issues they will understand and do the best they can.

Edited by rustic - December/21/2012 at 18:18
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic