OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Review Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2010 at 01:06
Nice pics and write up's gentlemen.
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 10:32
Shot my viper 6.5-20X44 on my savage 30-06 and love it.  The only issue i have is it takes me a while to focus in but thats because I need new contact lenses. I have a 6-24x50 crossfire now too that I dont have anything to put on yet.  First impression are good except it gets fuzzy in the high magnification. I am wondering if that is just because I cant point it at anything far enough away to use the 24x mag. If I take my viper and put it on 20 and then point it at the house across the street even when I adjust the parallax to the yardage its still not really clear. 
savage 110 viper-stolen
savage 93r17 crossfire 6-20x50 stolen
NEF single shot 12ga-recovered
stevens ranger 12ga double barrels-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
Ultra slug hunter sightron 3-9x44-recovered
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 13:29
Saito,

Does the image get sharp at a different parallax setting? Many of my parallax adjustable scopes are marked well off of the proper parallax setting. I just adjust the parallax to get a sharp, parallax free image for my intended target.
-Matt
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 13:34
My Viper is not super clear at over 16x either.  Higher magnification really brings out the flaws in glass and the whole optical system.  Having only the 44mm objective will make that even a little worse over the 50mm.

Bitterroot is right about the parallax, mine does not quite line up with the numbers either. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2010 at 06:34
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Saito,

Does the image get sharp at a different parallax setting? Many of my parallax adjustable scopes are marked well off of the proper parallax setting. I just adjust the parallax to get a sharp, parallax free image for my intended target.
The numbers on the objective are rarely spot on. I just turn it until the image gets clear. Over about 16x its blurry no matter what the parallax setting is. Of course I can only point it at things about 150 yards away in my neighborhood. I got the scope off the sample list becuase it was 79 bucks and I figured it was worth the shot, being a vortex with the customer service and the warranty. Is the scope defective? or is it just due to 24x being too much mag for objects closer than say 200 300 yards?
savage 110 viper-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2010 at 09:07
$79 bucks for a Viper!?  Where can I get that deal?  The 6.5-20 Viper I checked out at the local sports-mart (Oh, I hate going there...) seemed sharp throughout the magnification range.  I would give Vortex CS a call.  If it is the Crossfire, I think they lose quite a bit of resolution at high mag.
-Matt
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2010 at 09:19

$79 bucks for a Viper!?  Where can I get that deal?  The 6.5-20 Viper I checked out at the local sports-mart (Oh, I hate going there...) seemed sharp throughout the magnification range.  I would give Vortex CS a call.  If it is the Crossfire, I think they lose quite a bit of resolution at high mag.
Its not a viper its a crossfire. I may not have clarified that. The viper I have is on my .30-06 it is a 6.5-20x44 with 30mm tube. The Crossfire is a 6-24x50 with a 1" tube.
savage 110 viper-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2010 at 09:20
The viper is spot on. No complaints
savage 110 viper-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2010 at 11:40
oh, good.

I think its pretty hard to get a nice picture at high magnification in a scope at the Crossfire's price point.
-Matt
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2010 at 12:58
Currently emailing Scott at Vortex to see if there really is something wrong with the scope of if the fuzzyness is expected. Seems a bit much to me.
savage 110 viper-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 16:30
Originally posted by saitotiktmdog saitotiktmdog wrote:

Its not a viper its a crossfire. I may not have clarified that. The viper I have is on my .30-06 it is a 6.5-20x44 with 30mm tube. The Crossfire is a 6-24x50 with a 1" tube.
how does that crossfire compare to the viper from the 6-12x magnification range?
im trying to decide if i can get away with the $100 one for target shooting or save up $250 for the discounted viper.
Scott_at_Vortex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 16:42
Originally posted by grimreaper21 grimreaper21 wrote:

Originally posted by saitotiktmdog saitotiktmdog wrote:

how does that crossfire compare to the viper from the 6-12x magnification range?
im trying to decide if i can get away with the $100 one for target shooting or save up $250 for the discounted viper.

If you can still find one of the discontinued Vipers that is a really easy decision. You will never see a scope of the quality of the Vipers at this price again. Even at regular price the Vipers rival scopes that are much more expensive. The crossfires are an entry level scope and really just cant even be compared to the Vipers,save the fact that they are both riflescopes. The crossfires will be around for a while and you will be able to purchase one anytime.  Hope this helps.

Scott
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 19:21
Thanks Scott!  Get teh Viper while you can!!!  I have both teh Crossfire and teh Viper in 6-20!  Crossfire is good for what it is...a entry level scope.  the Vipers compare to 6500s and the like in everything but cost!!! I'm loving my vipers!!!  BTW I also have a 2-7X32 C3 Viper and she's my goto for deer hunting!!!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 19:38
Yeah those Vipers are awesome.  I have one in the box waiting for a rifle.

Scott,

I am anxiously waiting to see the upcoming product releases!  I can't wait to see the new Viper scopes, the new Viper PSTs, the new Razor HD bins, and the new 20-50 wide angle eyepiece for the Razor HD spotter.  What's that?  That last one is only in my dreams?  My mistake.

Clown
-Matt
csacpt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csacpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 19:46
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Thanks Scott!  Get teh Viper while you can!!!  I have both teh Crossfire and teh Viper in 6-20!  Crossfire is good for what it is...a entry level scope.  the Vipers compare to 6500s and the like in everything but cost!!! I'm loving my vipers!!!  BTW I also have a 2-7X32 C3 Viper and she's my goto for deer hunting!!!
Don't know about the Crossfire but the 2-7x32 C3 Viper is super! Wish that reticle was available in an illuminated version(hint, hint, HINT!) One can always dream. Stare
Better to die on your feet than live on your knees! "Ready and Forward"

M14 - Forged in Freedom - Proven in Battle
300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 22:05
has anyone tried the  crossfire
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 06:29
Yes I had 3 of them and traded two in on a Viper!  Still have a older Crossfire and it's holding up well so far!  Again I say GET THE VIPER while you can!!!!!!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 20:48
Well This has been very informative.  I am pondering a Viper in 6.5x20x44mm for my new big game long range rig. 
Can anyone suggest a reticle for this purpose?
Mantiz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mantiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2011 at 12:38
I have this This vortex-nomad-20-60x60/ they are marvellous and i gues nothing can come close to this eye piece. Well, wither i m gettting way better or these scopes are really fine, i am sure its the latter. Thanks.
Kam Fong as Chin Ho View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kam Fong as Chin Ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2011 at 15:16
Originally posted by Scott_at_Vortex Scott_at_Vortex wrote:

I have a couple of suggestions for you and they are just that "suggestions".  Instead of using bore sighters try taking your upper off of the lower, take your bolt group out and set the upper on something sturdy were it wont shift to easily. Now find something about 50 to 100 yds out to use as a reference point. Point your upper with scope mounted at this point and sight through your bore. Get it as close to the center of the bore as possible. Now keeping the upper very still adjust your scope to this point. You have now bore sighted your gun. This method works better than any boresighter that I have ever used and it doesnt cost a thing. I have been using this way for years and I have literally never been more than 5 inches off.

Does this really work as good/better than a laser?

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic