OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need help on a scope for a Ruger #1 in 25-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help on a scope for a Ruger #1 in 25-06
    Posted: August/19/2010 at 03:25
I just purchased a Ruger #1 in 25-06 and am looking for a scope for it.  In doing some research I am finding that the mounting system on the #1 requires a longer than usual eye relief due to the positioning of the mount.  I haven't received the rifle yet but was considering getting a Vortex Viper 4-12x40 for it but now I'm concerned about eye relief.
Does anyone have experience in scoping a #1?  The gun will be used as an open country deer rifle so I want at least 9x on the top end and prefer 40mm objectives.  What is my best option for long eye relief in that scope range?

Thanks,

Jayme
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 06:34
I had some issues with mine. Basically, if the scope's tube is too short, you'll need extra long ER. I would imagine the Viper 4-12 would work fine though. Worse case scenario, you may need to get one extension ring to push the rear mount back a 1/2 inch or so. I had an Elite 4200 and a Sightron B.S on mine and they both worked fine.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 07:42
I hade to bring the scope back in the mounts on mine. Luckily it is staright tubed and it wasn't a problem.

Doug
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 17:04
Originally posted by cj17 cj17 wrote:

I just purchased a Ruger #1 in 25-06 and am looking for a scope for it.  In doing some research I am finding that the mounting system on the #1 requires a longer than usual eye relief due to the positioning of the mount.  I haven't received the rifle yet but was considering getting a Vortex Viper 4-12x40 for it but now I'm concerned about eye relief.
Does anyone have experience in scoping a #1?  The gun will be used as an open country deer rifle so I want at least 9x on the top end and prefer 40mm objectives.  What is my best option for long eye relief in that scope range?

Thanks,

Jayme

The 4-12 Viper's eye relief is at least as good as the published specs. The main tube is also fairly long allowing alot of lattitude in mounting. Mine is mounted on a long action bolt gun without using an extended base and there is room to spare.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 17:07
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I hade to bring the scope back in the mounts on mine. Luckily it is staright tubed and it wasn't a problem.

Nice rig, Doug.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 04:41
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

That is a very nice set-up. Congrats.

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2010 at 08:40
I just put a new Vortex Viper 4x12 on my Tikka 695 .25-06 and I don't think you'd have any trouble mounting one on a Ruger No. 1.  There's a lot of tube on either side of the saddle a little more on the back side and I think you should be able to get your eye relief set right.  I am judging from comparing the scope to the ones on my No. 1's.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
cj17 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2010 at 10:34
Thanks for the info guys - my mind is made up - but now they look to be sold out.
Foxman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2010 at 16:39
I have a Ruger #1V in .25-06 caliber.  Currently, I have a Leupold VxII 4x12x40 mounted.  I have no problem with eye relief.  It's a tack driver!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic