OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Viper vs Monarch vs VX-III

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viper vs Monarch vs VX-III
    Posted: August/18/2010 at 12:14
Well guys I just got my new pair of vipers and i went out to make some tests.

I couldn´t fire any bullets from where i was but i mas making some view tests.
I decided to compare my 8.5-25X50 fine duplex VX-III, My 5-20X44 BDC Monarch and my brand new 6.5-20X44 Wide V-Plex Viper and my 6.5-20X50 Target Dot Viper.

For this test i set all my scopes @20x and then @10x even though the leupold could go up to 25x. This was so i had the same conditions on each one.
I was looking at a construction site located @1,000 yds from me, i did this test in late afternoon, about 1 hour before sunset so the light conditions were not the best (that´s what i intended) and the results were the following:

1.- The 6.5-20X50 target dot Viper outstanded every other scope. The image was crystal clear all around the field of view, a little difficult to locate the dot on dark surfaces, bud doable. I was thinking about using this scope on my coyote rifle, but after this test a had to look another way. I just think trying to make a quick shot on a moving target would not be easy. 

2.- The 6.5-20X44 Wide V-plex Viper had the second best image. In those light conditions yo had to really try to notice the difference between the 2 Vipers. Also the image was very crisp and clear. I couldn´t notice any dark ring around the center of the image. The reticle is great, really helps you find the center of the cross but the thin part is really thin. Very eye friendly. I think i will use this scope for my coyote rifle.

3.- Leupold VX-III was good. Not as good as any of the Vipers. I have this scope on my competition rimfire rifle. I have no complains on the scope, but the image was not as clear as the one i got from the vipers. You could see a little dark ring ond the edge of the FOV.

4.- 5-20X44 BDC Monarch. This scope looks very nice when you dont have a better comparison, it´s an average scope. The image was very different from the one I got from the other 3 Scopes. It looked like it gas a foggy day. You could see the target, but it had this light fog effect that didn´t really helped you appreciate the fine details on the target. the BDC reticle is good, but i think it´s a little bulky compared to the other 3. the horizontal line is extremely wide it only leaves a very small space too place your target at the center of the reticle. Good scope, but I´m selling both my monarchs and replace them with vipers.

I was also very impressed by the construction of the vipers. Even the turret caps are thicker than both leupold and Nikon turret caps. My leupold scope alredy has a dent in one of the caps. The only thing Vortex is missing is a good pair of flip-up caps. They have the ARD flip-up, but a little expensive and I didn´t really liked the construction. I would expect for something like the leupold alumina caps from vortex. I can´t complain about Nikon´s flip-up caps since they are free.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 12:31
You know you can use different manufacturers caps on different scopes the same size right?  http://swfa.com/Butler-Creek-Flip-up-Scope-Covers-C3135.aspx

Call SWFA and ask what fits your scope. Phone Number: (972) SCOPE-IT (726-7348)

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/18/2010 at 12:32

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 12:35
Do you have any good outdoors reticle pictures of the target dot and Vplex?
I'd like to see how thin they really are. Per the subtensions online,it seems that the dot and crosshairs are even smaller than the ones Nikon uses.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 12:35
Thanks for the review. I have to wonder about your Monarch though. I have a Leupold VXIII and my Monarch is up a few notches over the Leupold. Not that the Leupold is going anywhere, I am quite happy with it, but still it is what it is.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 12:52
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Thanks for the review. I have to wonder about your Monarch though. I have a Leupold VXIII and my Monarch is up a few notches over the Leupold. Not that the Leupold is going anywhere, I am quite happy with it, but still it is what it is.

Maybe it has something to do with Quality Control. I don´t know. I just Tested 1 of the 2 Monarchs. I´ll try the same test today using both and see what happens but it really looked like fog. I purchased the monarchs about 2 Months ago so they are brand new. I just mounted them on my rifles, but never took them out. They´re not even sighted.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 12:55
Yep... Definitely keep us updated. Might be a great oportunity to test Nikons CS.

Cyborg
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 12:57
I don´t have Outdoors pictures, but i have this.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 12:58
mmmmmm. Something happened with the pics. I could see them perfectly on the preview.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 13:04
Paste doesn't work. It will show up in preview not in post. I think you have to have a set number of posts before you can post pictures. Can you upload in file manager of your profile?

Cyborg
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 13:11
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Paste doesn't work. It will show up in preview not in post. I think you have to have a set number of posts before you can post pictures. Can you upload in file manager of your profile?

I can´t find that part.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 13:15
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

You know you can use different manufacturers caps on different scopes the same size right?  http://swfa.com/Butler-Creek-Flip-up-Scope-Covers-C3135.aspx

Call SWFA and ask what fits your scope. Phone Number: (972) SCOPE-IT (726-7348)

I hate buttler creek caps, they really look cheap and that´s because they are, and the leupold alumina look really nice but in leupold scopes.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 13:16
Go here and get your post count up to 50.

Cyborg
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 13:17
I've never had issues with any BC caps.  Why do you say they are cheap?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 13:18
Man I love Butler Creek Caps. They may be cheap, but they do an excellent job of protecting the lenses.

Cyborg
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 13:21
I haven´t had problems either, but the look or the feel compared to the aluminas is very different. I know, the price is too, but..... I would definetly pay a little more to get something as good as that.
midwestoffroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midwestoffroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 17:06
try the millet caps once they brake apart taking the scope out of the box...  there cheap.. i have some bushwackers that came with a rifle there not bad but i like the BC better.. my monarch didnt come with any..
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 19:50
No problems here either!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 20:37
Thanks for the review.  I have a Monarch 6-24-50 (SF) FCD and in the daylight it's as clear as my Zeiss, Swarvo & Leupold VX-3 up to around 18/19 power.  After that the Nikon's picture gets hazy.  The others are clear thru their range.

In the dark, there is no comparison.  The Swarvo, then its a toss up between the Zeiss and the VX-3 followed by the Monarch.

A year ago I had to utilize Nikon's C/S and they replaced the scope with no haggling and good turn around.  I only had to pay shipping on the one I sent in.  Thats as good as it gets IMO.

Thanks again,   
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 16:32
Finally, the pictures.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 16:36
mmmm wtf?? This isn´t working.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic