OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Marlin 917V

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin 917V
    Posted: August/18/2010 at 10:11
Does anyone here own a Marlin 917V?  If so, what is your opinion, I have been looking at getting a 17 HMR for pest control and found one for $180, used as new. 
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 10:39

I have a Marlin 982, which is a similar rifle in .22 Mag. Nice little shooter, even with the stock trigger, which I plan to swap with a Rifle-Basix. I'd say the price on that HMR is fair. You might check over at www.rimfirecentral forums.

oosickness View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oosickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 13:44
I own a marlin 917v with lamented stock and stainless barrel.I have a crumy BSA 6x18x40 on it and an after market trigger and I can put 8 to 10 shots under a dime ..when I'm not shooting squirrels I'm shooting pennys at 100 yards.... its a wee bit heavy but other than my ar-15 varminter its my go too varmit gun
oosickness View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oosickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 13:47
Oh ya the trigger I have is the stainless Rifle Basics and I love it.... buy it and don't look back . It's such a grand improvement over the stock trigger
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 17:55
I have one as well.  Great shooter.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
ronbuick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronbuick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 21:34
I also have one, I own several rifles, but this one is by far the most accurate out to 100-150 yds.
or so, quarter size targets are not a problem, great shooter and inexpensive, so in Marlin's case
you do get what you pay for, way more than what you pay for, so I went out and got a Marlin
in 25-06 cal. but only have about 7 rds. at 100yds with it to zero my scope, but really would like
to zero it at 200 yds.!! thanks.

Ron
Ron Neisler, Emmett, Idaho
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 21:46
Buy it, or I will. Thunbs Up
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 10:11
 The clip design would be my only complaint with this gun. The design worked perfectly until I got roughly 100 rounds through the tube. Now I find myself forced to push up on the clip to chamber each round.
 + 1 on the Rifle Basix trigger, but unless they've improved their design, you need to make certain that the safety is pulled back completely when applying it; it will fool you.

Edited by ti-force - September/25/2010 at 10:12
ronbuick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronbuick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 15:49
the same thing here with the mag, need to push up from the bottom to rack
another round, but one thing I noticed is when I use the bullets with the red
tip I do not have to do the mag push, with the hollow points I need to push up
on the mag, any one have a thought as to why it is that way?,Loco  thanks

Ron
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 16:40
 I believe the guide on the magazine loosens up. I'm calling it a guide, but that may not be the proper name for it.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 18:30
Try adjusting the lips on the mag.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
ronbuick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronbuick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 19:28
I have several mags and they all operate the same way, so it is hard for me to think
that the mags are the culprit!

Ron
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2010 at 19:28
I have a 1000+ rounds through mine, and I have never had a problem with the mags no matter what ammo I shoot.  My favorite ammo to shoot is the 20 gr Hornadys.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 12:45
Thanks for all the info, I ended up not getting the rifle, the wife wanted a mini van. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic