OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fake Bushnell? How do I tell?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredericianer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fake Bushnell? How do I tell?
    Posted: August/18/2010 at 04:58
Hi guys,
I've seen a Bushnell Banner 3-9x56 with illuminated reticule for sale on a site here in Denmark. The price is excellent (at least by Danish standards!), but I'm worried about buying it in case it's a fake.

Is there any way I can see if it's genuine? 

Cheers
Fredericianer
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 06:30
Welcome Fred to OT,that being said I would ask the person selling for the serial number & call Bushnell.If they refuse to give you that info ,I'd look some where's else!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Fredericianer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredericianer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 06:35
Thanks for the advice! Do all Bushnell scopes have serial numbers?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 06:48
I don't think that the lower models do...... Think was the key word.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cornhuskid View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornhuskid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 08:53
I've never heard of fake Bushnells...  I know about the Luppys.
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 10:07
Originally posted by cornhuskid cornhuskid wrote:

I've never heard of fake Bushnells...  I know about the Luppys.

+1

I've only hear of fake Leupolds and fake Nikons as well. To me its logical, the scammer wants to appeal to the mass market with the "superior" product. Leu's and Nik's are probably your top two scope manufactuers that people recognize. Don't get me wrong, I love Bush and so do others---but I wouldn't guess they try a fake Bush unless it was the 4200 or 6500. Just my opinion though--Bboy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 10:38

Bushnell is tough to verify.  They have some scopes for European sales only.  If I was you, I would call or e-mail the Bushnell division in France.  They are in charge of all the Euro models and styles.

But as far as knock off scopes go, when I was in living and working in Germany, my gun shop in Nurnberg, had a lot of fake scopes turning up, mainly Leupold, Millett and even Bushnell.  The Leupolds were copied by the Chi-Com factory that makes Leapers. 

And the older line of Milletts were being knocked off, BY  THE SAME COMPANY!  Who sold the defects to any non-US purchaser.  Before they were purchased by Bushnell, Millett had a big warning on their web page not to buy a scope with their name on it, until you could call or e-mail the serial number to them, to verify it was one of their products.

"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 13:06
I can´t imagine someone making fake banners. They don´t shine for anything in the market but for the low price. I don´t see how someone can profit by making fake products that are already cheap.
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 16:17

They are not cheap in Europe.

Bushnell Banner Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Multi-X Reticle Matte
Produkt : 294067
Produktstatus: lieferbar (Lieferzeit 10-14 Tage)

Preis: 

146 Euros = $187.90 as of todays exchange rate (Aug. 18th)

SWFA price for same scope  $84.95
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 16:33
i agree. We sell Banners all day long for $$129.00 here in Mississippi. Couldn't imagine  them being faked. The 6500 may be a diff story 
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 18:56
I started smirking at the thought of someone faking a Banner...until life's memories started intruding.
Never underestimate the greed/cleverness/stupidity of a thief.

The Chinese are copying everything under the sun and congratulate themselves for being 'smart' enough to get away with it.

"It's a hard rain's a gonna fall"- Bob Dylan
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 19:46
Then sending led to our children.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
River Runner View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2013 at 22:41
A friend of mine bought a couple Bushnell Elite scopes that have extremely poor performance.  Elites are not cheap.  At least not by my standards.  I have a Trophy XLT that perfomrs way, way better.  I suspect his are fake, but I'm not sure how to break it to my friend.  Hey, Ron!  Your scopes a piece of crap! 
Randy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic