OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope base Lapping and Reaming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 16:06

TPS actually advertises "pre lapped" rings on their website. These rings just straight up ROCK and leave no ring marks and work 100% perfect on the 3 or 4 pair I've owned and several scopes mounted.

No lapping bar for me when I use TPS.
TheDuke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDuke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 16:20
Well part of lapping is to 1) smooth the ring out to keep from getting marks, and the other 2) is to help in slight (very slight) alignment and fit of the front and back rings ON your particular gun. Having the rings lapped while NOT on YOUR gun will address almost all of #1 but not all , but not #2. Still better than not lapping at all...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 16:25
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

TPS actually advertises "pre lapped" rings on their website. These rings just straight up ROCK and leave no ring marks and work 100% perfect on the 3 or 4 pair I've owned and several scopes mounted.

That is if and only if your rifle receiver is straight or your base is bedded properly.  It does not matter how good your rings are if your base is not square.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 16:28
Originally posted by TheDuke TheDuke wrote:

Well part of lapping is to 1) smooth the ring out to keep from getting marks, and the other 2) is to help in slight (very slight) alignment and fit of the front and back rings ON your particular gun. Having the rings lapped while NOT on YOUR gun will address almost all of #1 but not all , but not #2. Still better than not lapping at all...

Well thats your opinion, Sir. If you want to go to those lengths, then be my guest. I probably won't though, but your opinion is duly noted and I fully understand.  
Typhoon in a tea cup, if you ask me. (shrug)

Also be advised that lapping on some rings (Badger for example) voids the warranty.  

Welcome to Optics Talk! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 16:30
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

That is if and only if your rifle receiver is straight or your base is bedded properly.  It does not matter how good your rings are if your base is not square.

I understand that.   
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 16:45
I am not seeing all these so called high rings marks on good quality rings either.  I have lately been using TPS, Seekins, IOR, Badger, Warne, LaRue, and am just not seeing it.  I guess there is another reason to buy quality stuff instead of the cheap stuff

I have the lapping bars, but have not used them for quite some time. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 16:51

I should have prefaced that I typically run one piece Picatinny rails on my rifles as well.

The rails are bedded, per Badger Ord. instructions.     

Edited by cheaptrick - August/19/2010 at 16:52
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 18:50
Hey Trick,I've been thinking of going to a 1 piece picatinny on my 5r, can you tell me how you bed the rail.Thanks

As per rings I just got off the pipe with Talley,they have a new ring out thats part ss & part Ceramic.They are sending me literature,but they are pricy approx $220.I've been holding out for SWFA rings but there is no ETA.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 19:24
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Hey Trick,I've been thinking of going to a 1 piece picatinny on my 5r, can you tell me how you bed the rail.Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 07:01
Thanks very much.
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 08:08
The info from badger ordinace didn't have anything about bedding the rails, at least not from what I saw. The info I had seen was similar too stock bedding using devcon puddy between the rail and the action. Almost the exact procedure as stock bedding.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 10:51
Yeah he is right.  Bedding uses actual bedding compound like devcon or JB weld.  Without the bedding compound to actually make your receiver straight you are not making it any straighter and it will still flex when you tighten the screws down, which lead to your rings no being square.  Badger is obviously assuming a straight topped receiver.  Putting locktite on the top of the receiver will only help them to not rust as easy.  Which is a problem with steel bases are rings. 

These are the best instructions I have found.  http://www.murphyprecision.com/Page/Scope_Base_Bedding  All the bases I have bedding like this have been very straight after doing it.  Make my alignment bars line up perfectly.

TheDuke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDuke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 13:26
A clear concise bedding instruction - Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 17:20
Thanks 73,more towards what I was thinking!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 12:46
Damn, ya'll like to work more than me....Stare
I'm too lazy to go to all that trouble.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 13:05
Keeps me down in the shop & out of the Ms. sight [:}

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 13:10
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Keeps me down in the shop & out of the Ms. sight [:}

Now THAT I get!!  Big Grin
TheDuke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDuke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 16:35
Yeah something else to tinker with.
But I do see results on the groupings. Not as big a deal on shorter shooting rigs, but again it also helps optics performance as high spots or uneveness can bind/pinch the scope and besides marks, can affect the optic or operational performance and even damage the scope. If you review the gunsmiths who provide rifle accurizing services, These are part of it and with good reason.  I for years never did this, but now do on all my rifles as well as a bedding, trigger adjust (#1) and barrel crown. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic