OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Budget fixed power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr fixit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Budget fixed power
    Posted: August/15/2010 at 22:29
I need some recommendations on budget scope for a young hunter.  Looking for fixed power in the 4x range.
Thinking about Simmons.  I am open to suggestions.

Mr Fixit
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 22:36
What is your budget and for what application? Rifle, Mzlldr, Slug Gun. I assume primarily a hunting scope based on your post.

Edited by biggreen747 - August/15/2010 at 22:37
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
mr fixit View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr fixit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 08:02
Sorry, should have put that info in the post.

This will go on a rifle, a Stevens 200 bolt action that is cut down a bit to fit him.  Rifle is in .270 and he will be using reduced recoil ammo from Remington.  All shots will be less than 150 yards, 'cause that's as far away as I'm going to let him take a shot for a while.  Plus, 200 yds is the upper limit expressed by Remington.

What do I want out of the scope?
Pretty much in order:
  • Hold zero through recoil and over time (after we get it sighted in, I don't plan to adjust it)
  • Decent clarity- I want to be able to see clearly, no fuzz or fog
  • Decent light gathering- If I can see it with the naked eye I want to be able to see it with the scope.  If I have to wait an extra 5 min in the early morn to see with the scope (and eye) I'm ok with that.
  • Sturdy- I'm going to teach him to be careful, but he'll likely bump the rifle around a bit, I don't want the scope to be a fragile as eggs (see number one)
I know there are some awesome scopes out there, and the technology now a days is able to build a scope that will take the recoil of a 50bmg and have the light gathering capability to see into shadows under a full moon.  But that's not the scope I want, or want to pay for.

Honestly, I'm wondering if the Simmons 8 point or Bushnell blister pack at the sporting good store won't do for what I want.
VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 08:06
NIKON 4x32 Prostaf. Clear, bright, reliable, lifetime warranty. And all that for around $100.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 09:09
http://swfa.com/Weaver-4x38-Classic-K-Rifle-Scope-P5054.aspx

The above Weaver would also be a good choice. One thing to keep in mind is that most scopes like this 
are fairly short and compact so you may need extended bases or a 1 piece rail to mount them on your 270.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 09:34
Originally posted by mr fixit mr fixit wrote:

• Hold zero through recoil and over time (after we get it sighted in, I don't plan to adjust it)
  • Decent clarity- I want to be able to see clearly, no fuzz or fog
  • Decent light gathering- If I can see it with the naked eye I want to be able to see it with the scope.  If I have to wait an extra 5 min in the early morn to see with the scope (and eye) I'm ok with that.
  • Sturdy- I'm going to teach him to be careful, but he'll likely bump the rifle around a bit, I don't want the scope to be a fragile as eggs (see number one)

• In my experience, scopes in that price range will generally hold zero...once they are zeroed. It's the zeroing process that is painful. (e.g. buddy of mine had a cheapo 3-9X that would change windage 1/4-1/2 MOA every time we adjusted the elevation).
  • Clarity: Don't expect too much but @ low magnification it's not (as) much of an issue
  • Light gathering transmission: Any 4X scope with an objective over 28mm will transmit as much light as the human eye can use. Of course coatings and glass quality can lessen this somewhat. But mostly it's not a concern.
  • Sturdy: You can probably do well with the recommendations given here, but you gets what you pays for. I'd go with the Nikon.
  • Reaction time is a factor...
    SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
    Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 09:57
    What about the SS 6X?
    "Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
    tahqua View Drop Down
    Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 10:25

SS 6x may be a nice scope, but not a budget scope. It has a mil-dot that might be too busy for a young hunter.

The Weaver is a good choice along with the Nikon. I like the fact that the Nikon has a 32 mm objective that will allow for lower mounting. This will give a better cheek weld. The reduced ammo will help, but anything that can reduce perceived recoil is a bonus. Lower mounting will.
    Doug
    Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 10:32
    Doug makes some nice points.

I like the Weaver, and mine has proven to be extremely tough.  It mounts nice and low.  I haven't used the Nikon.

I have the SS6x on a 10/22, and my 6 year old doesn't have any trouble with the reticle.  I agree that most non-tactical shooters would not consider the SS a "budget scope."
    -Matt
    Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
    Optics Apprentice
    Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 10:33
    http://swfa.com/Simmons-4x32-8-Point-Rifle-Scope-P3443.aspx

Simmons 8pt- Less than $30.
    It will either break after 50rds/during the first hunting season, or it may last for 15+ years. It should get your son shooting till you/he can save up for a better scope.

Optics will be somewhat adequate,but it will have bad spherical distortion around the edges, will exhibit glare when the sun is at certain angles, and may not render color that well. Resolution will be so-so. It should hold zero if the reticle stays in place,but I wouldn't expect adjustments to be consistent.

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 10:38
    This isn't a fixed power, but it is a great deal that will do what you want.

http://www.samplelist.com/-P1224.aspx
    -Matt
    300S&W View Drop Down
    Optics God
    Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 11:38
     Here's BB's suggested scope(it's an SI and a good scope):

Kickboxer has had good luck with Swift scopes so I'm going to throw this into the mix:
      They also offer a 40mm but it only has 3" e/r where this has 4".

I believe if I were going with a Simmons,and I do have a discontinued 6X Pro Hunter that's NICE for the cost,I'd go with this:
    "I ain't got time to bleed!"
    stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 22:47
    I'm throwing 1 more into the pot........Hawke 4x32 different rets. @ $39-$49 At SWFA.I've had a Frontier for 2 yrs,I think they are underated but are good scopes for the money.
    Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
    koshkin View Drop Down
    Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2010 at 14:57
    Fixed power:

Variable:
    http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-9x40-SI-Riflescope-P9199.aspx (or the same model from the SampleList).

If you are on a budget, these are good options.

If you are willing to spend $200, try the Vortex Diamondback:

ILya
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic