OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Reloading Bench/ Room

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reloading Bench/ Room
    Posted: August/15/2010 at 20:24
I don't know if this has been done before, here.  But, I am attempting to revamp my reloading bench and I want some ideas.  I know we all have to deal with our own specific problems and concepts.  I, for example, have a wife who won't let me out of the closet, thus my bench is in my closet.  What are the problems you had to over come and how did you do it. What gear do you use?  I am about to get a Dillon 650 for my room but I currently use an RCBS... Most of my gear matches at this time....
This thread is worthless without pictures, so post your reloading bench and let's see what happens. And Thanks for the ideas...
My closet bench is posted...

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 23:18
Man, Tom.  You got a pretty big closet.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 09:34
The room it is in use to be my garage.  Because I work different hours from everyone else in the house, we added on so I could have a room away from everyone during the day and I could sleep. The closet holds most of my work, gun, and hunting related gear.  I just wish the bench was a bit better.  I am currently, thinking about strengthening and widening the bench shelf with some type of stronger wood.  I need it to be a bit more heavy duty.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 10:02
My reloading gear is in the garage.  In Houston.  I'll try to get a picture up.

Needless to say, I have an AC unit that cools my area, leaving the rest a sauna.  The volatile stuff stays in a closet inside till it is needed outside.

Wish I had a closet to hole-up in.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 10:24
If your going to get a Dillon 650, your going to need a substantial bench to mount it on. Your scale will also need to be on a different bench, because no matter how stong your bench is it will still mess with your scale.
I built my bench out of 4x4 legs, 2x6 bracing, and 3/4 inch plywood table top and shelf. I store ammo and anything else that is heavy to help anchor the bench.
I'd post a picture of it, but I don't know how (I really don't want anyone to know what a slob I am).
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 10:57
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

If your going to get a Dillon 650, your going to need a substantial bench to mount it on. Your scale will also need to be on a different bench, because no matter how stong your bench is it will still mess with your scale.
I built my bench out of 4x4 legs, 2x6 bracing, and 3/4 inch plywood table top and shelf. I store ammo and anything else that is heavy to help anchor the bench.
I'd post a picture of it, but I don't know how (I really don't want anyone to know what a slob I am).

That's exactly what I figured.  Thus the "idea getting page"  I want to do it right and I like getting ideas from others.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 11:04
My bench is similar: 4x4 legs, 2x6 bracing, lots of plywood decking.  Mine is heavy as hell but very, very stable.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 11:29
Hmmm. You could move the reloading bench to the back of the closet, and move the other storables to the location where your bench is now. Make it so that you could have a slightly deeper bench, and also two additional sides. One to the right and one to the left. They would be slightly more shallow. Braced properly to the wall and with some bracing underneath the bench, being slightly shorter, and having the sides would make it very sturdy. You could have some additional storage above the bench in an overhead cupboard.
Your closet is what, 8X15? Kinda hard to tell by the photo.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 11:46
It you are getting a progressive press the tougher the bench the better.  When I built my new reloading room, I framed the walls and attached my bench to every single stud in the wall.   My old bench was attached to a wall but only in a couple places and it moved way to much.  My new setup is super solid, nothing moves at all when running the presses.

My table tops are 36" deep and I put 2x6s under the front of the table where the presses will bolt on with 2x4s underneath them to hold everything together.  Then the table tops are 3/4 fiber board with a formica top.  

I would follow Cyborgs suggestion.  Use that small end and tear all that shelving out and build a very solid bench that is attached to the wall on all 3 sides.  That could make for a sturdy bench.  NOthing is worse than loading on a bench that has movement in it.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 14:50
After looking around for a bit, I ended up making my bench out of 2x4s and a bunch of plywood left from when I was replacing the subfloor upstairs.  I made it pretty tall so that I can use the top shelf for storage, plus there is a lower shelf for ammo and other heavy items.  Even without that, the bench is very solid.  Loaded down with ammo on the bottom shelf, it is even more steady.

The actual work surface is made out of two 3/4" pieces of plywood stacked and bonded together.  Then I took a 1/4" piece of plywood with smooth surface and bonded it on top.  The whole thing is very stiff.

ILya

ILya
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 15:32
Good Idea. Bonded plywood is certainly very sturdy most especially when it's 1.75 inches thick. Have a work bench made similar to that it's 1.50 inches thick, three half inch sections bonded with Gorilla glue. Very sturdy, and a thick self leveling laquer coat as well. Gotta get the ex to part with it.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 20:03
I used 4x4 fir for the legs, 2x4 fir for the bracing and shelving support and the top is made out of a solid core birch 1 3/4 door.  Rock solid.  If I bolted it to the wall, I doubt anything could move or shake it at all.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 20:36
 I used an old kitchen counter top, put 2x4 across the back wall then 4x4 for front legs and screwed it all together with heavy duty 2 1/2 inch screws.Used three walls and made kinda a U shape all screwed to make one piece does not budge. Have shot gun presses and my rock chucker on it,scales and electronic powder droper on different section so there is no bouncing of scales.
froggy
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 20:56
i would check local laws before i posted pictures of a bunch of cans of powder. you are only allowed so many pounds before your supposed to have storage locker for itShocked
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2010 at 08:29
U can legally have 20 lbs in your residence.  Up to 50 lbs if you have a properly rated storage container.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2010 at 09:34

I also used a 2x4 frame, topped with 1-1/8" particle board top stained white.  Like others my bench is Fastened to walls on three sides.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2010 at 11:06
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

U can legally have 20 lbs in your residence.  Up to 50 lbs if you have a properly rated storage container.  
That's one kind of powder, right?Whistling
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2010 at 13:48
Thats what I've always heard...20 #'s Target,231,296,H110, H38 etc[:}
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2010 at 14:13
I'm going to have to think about a new one since we're moving to another house in a couple months...not even sure where I'll put my reloading room. What I like most about my current setup is having the scale sit on a rock-solid, totally level surface. Sounds like there's some pretty nice setups among us.
Reaction time is a factor...
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2010 at 19:51
I'm with whoever said to put the bench across the back end.  That way you could support it on either side with horizontal bracers fastened to the wall and give you plenty of room for a stool.  Probably make the bench 24" to 32" deep.

The reason I say stool is because I like to stand when working the press.  That means you have to mount the bench high so that when standing you can reach the end of the press lever when it is all the way down.  Standing gives you more control and strength but the stool will allow you to rest your butt but get up and down frequently without the effort of getting in and out of a low chair.  You can shove a small tall stool up under the bench easier than a chair too.

My bench is not quite high enough (40" but needs to be 42-43") and is made of solid core Birch doors

with shelves above.  I used slotboard cause you can get all kinds of gadgets to go on it like clear bins, shelves etc.

The press would go on the right in the back (unless you are wrong-handed Wink).  Then coming down the wall on the left I would run another small bench only 12" wide and dedicate the first 48" to a gun holder/cleaner for mounting scopes and checking case sizing.  After the 48" I would put some more shelves going up.

VCT the floor to make it easier to clean and to keep from generating static electricity during the Winter.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic