OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Muzzle Loader Scope Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxRzrBk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muzzle Loader Scope Upgrade
    Posted: August/14/2010 at 20:10
Looking to upgrade the scope on my TC Omega, current scope is a Bushnell Trophy Muzzleloader scope 1.75-4x32. 

Budget is about $125

Considering
Weaver 40/44 3-9x40 ~$115
Sightron SI 3-9x40 ~$110
Simmons Aetec 2.8-10x44 ~$80, $60 after rebate

Any other suggestions?  The thought is to upgrade to better glass and more magnification...I am sure it is debateable if that is necessary for a muzzle loader
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 06:40
Because I've had experience with it I can suggest the Aetec. A Weaver would do if you go with the Grand Slam but, that blows your budget. I've heard good talk about the Sightron but haven't used one before. I've had the Aetec on several different cals. and the muzzle loader and it performs great. It is currently on my 444 with a Stoney Point elevation turret and will probably stay there from now on. I can dial it out to a 300yd. shot and back to 100yds. and it tracks perfectly. Let us know what you go with.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 06:42
Do you want or need that much power (and weight) on a muzzle loader? This is a good one and its cheap.
TxRzrBk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxRzrBk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 07:50
Originally posted by tejas tejas wrote:

Do you want or need that much power (and weight) on a muzzle loader? This is a good one and its cheap.

No I really probably don't need it. I hunt in a lot of low light woods with areas where you can see 200 + yards a good powerful scope is always handy. I hadn't given consideration to the weight because the gun is pretty barrel heavy. The Simmons you suggest seems like it would be a step down from the bushnell trophy currently have.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 09:28
More power doesnt equal more light. All factors being equal it means less. Lots of folks on here are raving about the Vorex. I dont own one so I dont personally know. They make good binoculars though.
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 13:01
TX----if at all possible, I would try to stretch your budget just a tad.
This 

Nikon Omega 1.65-5x36  is $199

I have the 3-9x40 Nikon Omega on my TC Triumph ML and LOVE it. It is a NICE scope, and its made to handle the hard recoil of the ML, so you don;t have to worry about losing zero. If you could stretch your budget, you won't be disappointed with the Nikon and the above link has a tad more magnification than you currently have. Hope this helps---Bboy623

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 13:04
or as Tejas suggested, the 2-7x36 Vortex Viper for $169 is also a good deal!

--Bboy623

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
TxRzrBk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxRzrBk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 17:06
I had a feeling that I might end up needing to extend the budget a bit.  The Simmons Aetec at $60 is awfully attractive but I have read some horror stories on them.  Dave Petzal had a rave review on the Weaver 40/44 a year or so back, I believe he had it as a best buy in the category.
midwestoffroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midwestoffroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 00:34
i can only recommend the nikon omega also just from experience with it.
TxRzrBk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxRzrBk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 06:34
Ok, I know I am on a tangent a little here but I found some information on the Weaver 40/44. Apparently it is the exact same scope as the Intensity optics scope which can be had for much less $. Can anyone confirm this?
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 10:41
Originally posted by TxRzrBk TxRzrBk wrote:

Ok, I know I am on a tangent a little here but I found some information on the Weaver 40/44. Apparently it is the exact same scope as the Intensity optics scope which can be had for much less $. Can anyone confirm this?

Rumor was that the Federal/Intensity Optics/ Weaver 40/44s are the old pre-Master series Simmons .44 Mag and Aetec designs (the design variant after they moved production from the Phillippines to China,but before Meade redesigned them as the Master series and then sold Simmons to ATK). ATK owns all of those companies now, so it's very possible that the Intensity Optics and the Weaver 40/44s are the same scope,though I suspect only someone from ATK could answer that. Quite likely they are using the old designs as the new cheaper line of product,similar to how Nikon's old "Buckmaster" series of scopes became the current Pro-Staff series when they upgraded the Buckmasters to the current configuration.

TxRzrBk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxRzrBk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 13:03
Originally posted by Poodleshooter1 Poodleshooter1 wrote:

Rumor was that the Federal/Intensity Optics/ Weaver 40/44s are the old pre-Master series Simmons .44 Mag and Aetec designs (the design variant after they moved production from the Phillippines to China,but before Meade redesigned them as the Master series and then sold Simmons to ATK).

Sounds like a real piece of junk that I don't want to own.  I am going to look at the Vortex and possibly the 2-7 Redfield when I get a chance.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 13:12
Originally posted by TxRzrBk TxRzrBk wrote:

Looking to upgrade the scope on my TC Omega, current scope is a Bushnell Trophy Muzzleloader scope 1.75-4x32. 

Budget is about $125

Considering
Weaver 40/44 3-9x40 ~$115
Sightron SI 3-9x40 ~$110
Simmons Aetec 2.8-10x44 ~$80, $60 after rebate

Any other suggestions?  The thought is to upgrade to better glass and more magnification...I am sure it is debateable if that is necessary for a muzzle loader

While more magnification may be debatable better glass quality is not. One of my more expensive scopes resides on top of my muzzleloader due to the type of hunting I do with it. I had to many issues with lesser scopes due to the tricks light can play in the timbered creek bottoms that I hunt with my muzzleloader. If I didn't already have a good quality 1.5-6 scope I would buy the 2-7 Vortex Viper. That scope is 2 or 3 steps above anything else you are looking at for not much more (and in some cases less) money. 

Edited by biggreen747 - August/16/2010 at 13:21
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
TxRzrBk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxRzrBk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 13:50
Thanks - now is the Viper the only Vortex worth looking at or are there lesser Vortex models that I might be happy with.  
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 14:25
The Crossfire and Diamondback series are also good scopes and I have both in other power ranges as well as a 4-12 Viper. The thing is right now with the Viper being priced where it is it's just hard to pass up their top line hunting scope when their lower end Crossfire is $115.00 for the 2-7 and the midrange Diamondback 2-7 now cost more at $190.00 than the top end 2-7 Viper which has been discounted to $170.00. 

Edited by biggreen747 - August/16/2010 at 14:30
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
TxRzrBk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxRzrBk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 14:36
I understand, with that explanation the Viper would be the one to buy in the Vortex line. 

Problem is that this puts me withing $10 (after tax :|) of a 3-9x40 of a Bushnell Elite 3200 Firefly.  I have a Elite 3200 and a 4200 already so I know they are good scopes.  Do you think the Viper is better even considering the rainguard and the firefly?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 16:04
I can tell you that the Viper competes directly with the 4200. However, I do not have a-lot of time behind the Bushnell's so hopefully someone else that has used both will chime in with some comparisons.

Edited by biggreen747 - August/16/2010 at 16:10
TxRzrBk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxRzrBk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2010 at 13:15
I went for the Vortex Viper 2-7x32 with BDC.  I didn't find anyone who could directly comment on the comparison between the Elite 3200 and the Viper but...I could not find a single negative thing said about the Vortex so I figure I am going to like it. 

I own an Elite 4200 3-9x40, Elite 3200 3-9x40 and a FFII 3-9x40, once I get it setup I will post some pictures as well as a comparison of the 3 scopes.  If the Vortex is good enough it might be able to bump the 4200 off of my Tikka - we shall see.

anyone interested in a Bushnell 1.75-4x32 circle-x used twice in mint condition please let me know, will make you a smoking deal :)
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 09:18
I think you will be happy with the Viper. As I stated previously I have verry little experience with the Bushnell's but I've owned a number of 3-9 FFII's and while they are good solid scopes they are not in the same league as the Viper when it comes to glass quality. 

Edited by biggreen747 - August/18/2010 at 09:18
TxRzrBk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxRzrBk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2010 at 12:06
Got an e-mail today that the Viper BDC is out of stock and no longer available.  Maybe the V-Plex will work.  I was interested in the hold over points, thought they would be helpful beyond a hundred yards with the muzzle loader.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic