OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

which mount and ring combo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiveshotdot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which mount and ring combo
    Posted: August/13/2010 at 07:29
I am noob and can't waste a lot of coin guessing on which scope ring and mount combo to go with. i'm going to get the bushnell 4200 with the 30mm tube and 50mm bell. the rifle the combo is going on is a savage mod10 fcp. bull barrel 308. i've looked at the tps and egw mount any suggestions or instructions on how to measure would be helpful.
Instagram ID tactidad
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 07:34
As far as ring height if you use a 20moa mount lows should work, at least they did when i used a TPS 20MOA mount and low rings on a nikon 3x9x50.   Your absolute best bet is to call SWFA and talk to them on what height rings.  They can tell you exactly what will work with your combo. 
Between TPS and EGW bases, I have both, like both, but would probably give the edge to TPS as the finish I like better.  rings, TPS is the bets bang for your buck in the industiry in many folks minds.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - August/13/2010 at 07:37
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
fiveshotdot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiveshotdot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 09:57
thanks for the info and have been looking around on this forum for a while and notice you (svt) seem to be everywhere and very knowledgable and helpful. I'm sure you hear this a lot but thanks for the info. i like to hear what combos people run on their rigs to compare and contrast.
Instagram ID tactidad
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 10:09
Thanks for the kind words.  I'm what most would call a "post whore" lol  most of my post I try to keep in the non technical side of things but what I do know I will share.  There are a lot, and I do mean a lot of more knowledgeable folks on here than I. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 11:00

Fiveshotdot; I have the Savage 10le with 20" bull barrel the bases on this one are Burris XTR with the Burris XTR rings for your 50mm you may need medium hieght(check the burris chart).
 On my 10LE 223 with bull barrel and a 110LE bull I used the EGW base 0moa and low ss rings(same as Burris) and on a 112 varmint contour I have XTR bases and rings.
 I think the 0moa will work out to 1000 yards or more on your 308 and if you use the XTR rings they are made higher than regular rings so make sure and check with swfa or look up the right ones on the Burris web site.I know one of my scopes is 44mm and in low rings(XTR) there is plenty of room left for flip up covers.
 One last thing make sure you specify flat rear receiver or round rear receiver or you will end up with the wrong base.
 Accu-trigger is most likely round.
froggy
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 08:41
I agree, I think Med. Rings will work best for you. 
V. , Shooting out to 700 yards? That .308 is absolutely capable of doing that with ease and farther.
I suggest quite a bit of range time before jumping to that distance and some computer time as well.
I am hooked on Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Match Technology Program. 
It is free! You can get the ballistics for any cal. and bullet weight you want. I have checked out 22LR ballistics  as my son wants to try rimfire competitions, all the way up to .375 H&H, which I want to shoot as few times as possible for obvious reasons. 
 Go to Nikonhunting.com and click the Spot On banner.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/ 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 10:13
http://swfa.com/TPS-Mounts-C2705.aspx
Low TPS mounts will work with that 50mm objective.   
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 10:59
I have an EGW base and Badger rings on my Savage. +1 on the TPS rings. Very affordable quality!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 19:02
Originally posted by fiveshotdot fiveshotdot wrote:

i like to hear what combos people run on their rigs to compare and contrast.

I use Badger and TPS rails and rings. 
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 20:29
Call Near Mfg.  There are no better rings and bases available.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 20:39
Magnumdood I think he wanted to know how to figure out what height rings to buy.  I would suggest medium rings as you may want to have flip up lens caps but SWFA will tell you what will fit if you call them.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 22:02
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Magnumdood I think he wanted to know how to figure out what height rings to buy.  I would suggest medium rings as you may want to have flip up lens caps but SWFA will tell you what will fit if you call them.

If he calls Richard at Near Mfg., Richard can tell him exactly what he needs based on the rifle and scope used.  He keeps a huge data-base of scope and rifle specs, and can guide him to the best possible combination to mount his scope.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 22:04
If going to get Near's, you might want to do it before hunting season starts because he flat disappears!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
fiveshotdot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiveshotdot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 09:43
i called tps and they told me to get the lows and they were right. i got the mount and rings/scope put on and the butler creeks just cleared. i love the way it looks and works. The 20 moa base and scope combo i ran out of down adjustment at 100 yards its shooting about 2.5 to 3 inches high which is fine. i don't care as long as it gets good groups
Instagram ID tactidad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic