OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle scope for Rem. 7 mag.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle scope for Rem. 7 mag.
    Posted: August/12/2010 at 15:51
What would be the best scope in the $ 150 price range that will last awhile, used only for deer hunting. Nothing fancy just something durable. thanks
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 16:02
yikes you dont want much do you?Laugh
a 3x9 redfield revolution or a 3x9 nikon prostaff is about all i can think of right now.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 16:04
Buy a padded eye piece because that sucker kicks
I'm classic shag nasty type.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 16:14
 This should do you fine:

Oh, and by the way,  Welcome to OT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 300S&W - August/12/2010 at 16:15
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 16:53
http://swfa.com/Burris-3-9x32-Timberline-Rifle-Scope-P11002.aspx
These are good little scopes for the money but you will need extended or a 1 piece base for mounting as there is not much room between the turrett housing and the objective bell. I had the 2-7x26 and I wish I would have never sold it. The Ballistic Plex reticle matches up verry well with a 150gr bullet in the 7mag and there is plenty of eye relief. IMO better glass than the pro-staff.

I think the above are on backorder but you are getting a $300.00 scope for about half price if you are willing to wait for it. For $169.00 I doubt there is anything out there that even comes close. Vortex has a lifetime no questions asked waranty. They also have people on these boards to answer questions. I  have 2 Crossfire, 1 Diamondback, and a Viper because of thier reputation and quality. If my wife would let me I would order 2 or 3 of these things...

Edited by biggreen747 - August/12/2010 at 17:07
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 17:19
These are very durable, but $30.00 over your budget.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 17:20
+1 vortex
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 17:28
The only one I can vouch for is the Fullfield. It is a very good scope for the money if you can stretch for $30. A 3-9x40 is also what I use on a few of my long range hunting rifles, including a 7 mag. 
Doug
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 22:06
Well the 2-7 vortex viper for $169 is certainly attractive, The pentax pioneer ( same as Burris fulllfield ii ?) for $109 is pretty enticing as is a weaver K-4 if you don't mind a fixed power. On the sample list is a nice looking old usa made burris fullfield 3-9x40 that I have been tempted by for $119. They were well made scopes and carry a forever warranty and I believe they had multicoated lenses. All of these are in the $150 range and should provide you good service deer hunting.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 22:09
Oh and as 300 s&w suggested the redfield is a excellent choice. Man I need to get to that edit button level :^)
jshort View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 10:54
Thanks everyone for the input, I believe I am going with the redfield revolution 3x9x40
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 11:41
i think it will serve you well, john barsness tested them fairly rigorusly and they survived. koshkin tested them and i think he was ok with them as well.

Edited by pyro6999 - August/13/2010 at 11:43
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 12:12
even with that Rdfield is a division of Leupold I think and they would warranty it in the event you needed it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2010 at 18:04
I've Had A Burris FF 3-9x40 on my Ruger 7 Mag For A BUNCH of years now..... No Problems Of Any kind So Far! But I Also Dont Think You Will Go Wrong With The Vortex Or Revolution Either
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic