OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Archery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

arrow drop from above

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhbuck57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: arrow drop from above
    Posted: August/12/2010 at 15:20
if you're 20ft up a tree and a deer (NICE BUCK) crosses out at 30yds , would you aim as if 32yds?
HJHall
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 15:33
 Aim low to allow for the bit of the flatter trajectory due to shooting at an angle. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 16:23
just checked it with my RXIII range finder with a 3% angle it's still 30yrds. i could be few feet off either way.

Edited by hunterwingler - August/12/2010 at 16:25
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 16:41
 I always aim a bit low just in case the deer decides to take off which means it will squat first.
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 16:47
yup don't blame ya, a whitetail can drop 18 ins in nothing flat. seen one drop & spin around & run b4 the bullet got there. it was some hunting show don't remember what one. pretty crazy
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
hhbuck57 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhbuck57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 17:11
i know what u mean. thanks    
HJHall
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 17:21
I too aim a hair low. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 07:39
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I too aim a hair low. 

would that be a narrow hair (18 microns) or a "fat" hair (180 microns)????

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 13:11
Kinda the opposite.......when your up higher you need to take off a hair of distance instead of add. Then when shooting uphill you would add a little. Most people shoot high out of a treestand anyway because they don't bend at the waist ! You got to practice out of a treestand to get good at those shots !!
hhbuck57 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhbuck57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 17:36
u r right bout that. so happens i put a stand in my back yard to practice climbing , so i'll just practice shooting also. thanks a buck
HJHall
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 19:33
Yes, anytime you are shooting at EITHER an uphill or downhill angle, the actual distance that gravity acts on the projectile is the horizontal distance, not the hypotenuse of the triangle (the angled vector) between you and the target.  The actual distance to the target is the measured distance to the target along the shot angle (hypotenuse of the triangle) X the cosine of the angle from horizontal.  In other words, the horizontal distance is always less than the measured distance along the angle you are shooting, so you would always aim lower or otherwise compensate less for drop.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2010 at 11:04
 One easy way to compensate for shooting from heights,I've done it for YRS,is to range your distance/distances to certain terrain features before getting up in your stand.  Twelve of my normal steps is 10yds.
  Also you can range or estimate distances from in the stand BUT do it straight out in from you at eye level.  Got a tree ranged at 30yds straight out from your treestand and a deer at the same distance somewhere? Hold your 30yd pin low to compensate in case of it crouching to flee and your good to go.
hhbuck57 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhbuck57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 21:34
OK , i'll try and remember all that. so i would shoot a deer at 30 yards from my tree stand i shoot like it was 29
HJHall
hhbuck57 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhbuck57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 21:37
it sounds like more to compensate for the deer ducking down. 
HJHall
trjones87 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trjones87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 18:14
Always measure from the bottom of the stand. Whether you are 5 feet in the air or 100, the distance from the base to the target is the distance you want to plan to shoot for. Remember, always bend at the hips without changing your form and always always visualize the exit of the arrow instead of the entry, you'll shoot low if you focus on just the entry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic