OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need Recommendations for my AR-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Recommendations for my AR-15
    Posted: August/11/2010 at 16:14
This is probably a typical post but there is so much noise out there I thought it would help if I asked for specific recommendation based on my facts. I already have 2 or 3 possibles picked out but I wanted to see if your recommendations support my choices.

Shooting AR-15 in standard .223. The gun is strictly for target shooting.  Targets are set at 100 and 200 yards. Will only be shot in decent weather at temps from 50 to 90. The goal is tight groups, not shooting groundhogs or personal/home defense. Budget is $175 to $250.

Thanks in advance.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 16:29

A couple of these are higher than the original stated budget but would be a godo choice so I listed them. These are in the order that I would get them in.

Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope
V-Plex Wide Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM05FP
  • Matte
  • V-Plex Wide
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
$279.95 
Add Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
Mil-Dot SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS10X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95 
Add SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories :

This scope by simmons is a heck of a deal!
Simmons 4-14x44 Aetec Master Series Rifle Scope
Illuminated Truplex Simmons 4-14x44 Aetec Master Series Rifle Scope
Stock # - 512105
  • Normally $249.95 - Sale 44% off
  • Includes Free Sun-Shade
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Truplex
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • 25% off of any Simmons Optic over $25
$139.99 
Add Simmons 4-14x44 Aetec Master Series Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
Redfield 4-12x40 Revolution Rifle Scope
Redfield 4-12x40 Revolution Rifle Scope
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 16:37
Welcome to Optics Talk! Glad your here!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 16:44
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 16:55
Id jump on the Simmons listed above. At that price they are pretty hard to beat. The illuminated crosshairs work very well for an in expensive scope.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 16:57
Welcome to OT,one more for ya....Vortex Viper 2-7x32 @ $169.95
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
3PERCENTER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3PERCENTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 07:33
I would add the Leatherwood CMR 1-4X24 for $250 if you want a good scope for close to medium range applications. I have one and I love it.

Also, I am thinking about changing my order from the Vortex 6-24 Crossfire to the 6.5-20 Viper since I already have a 30mm Burris PEPR mount for the leatherwood but with the Crossfire I have to buy another PEPR mount in 1" so for me, I would only be paying $110 more for the Viper. What do you guys think?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 07:39
Keep in mind yall that the original poster stated he was shooting for tight groups, this will be a little easier for him to achieve with more power.  That doesn't mean its not doable with a 1-4 or less but the more the power the better he's gonna get to doing his tight groups.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3PERCENTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 07:43
Only now that the Viper 2-7x32 is only $169, I would probably have got that one instead of the Leatherwood although the Leatherwood has a pretty cool illuminated recticle making it better for night and low light applications. It's too bad the Viper PST's with the illuminated recticles aren't on sale.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3PERCENTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 07:49
Actually, if I had a budget of $250, I would get the Crossfire 6-24 for tight groups and the Viper 2-7 if I ever wanted to switch over to a tactical scope and only be $10 over budget. With the Vipers on sale, it sure is a good time to be scope shopping.
Thor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 10:11
Thanks for the rapid feedback.  Gives me some things to consider.  And yes, primary purpose is punching paper so I want tight groups.  Illuminated reticle most likely unnecessary since I'm a fairweather shooter and the range is wide open (no trees or shade).
midwestoffroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midwestoffroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 21:21
I am going to suggest the viper with the target dot aslo . it is a .19 dot   the plex scope is a .1 line
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midwestoffroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 21:29
Also the viper has a custom turrent option. for 85 bucks give them the load info temp and elevation and your set

Thor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 22:01
Can you slow down the flash on your next post.  I know I'm missing something in your avatar.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midwestoffroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 22:46
just hit you f5 to  refresh.. it will give you a tenth of a second still pic. haha
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic