OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Rebate Rip-off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Rebate Rip-off
    Posted: August/11/2010 at 14:36
Some of you may have noticed that Zeiss are running a rebate program until the end of the year. The Carl Zeiss 2010 Field Days Promotion. This covers Victory Compact Binoculars and Victory Rangefinder. 

You often hear people on TV complaining about rebate offers that never materialize or have impossible to meet conditions.

Zeiss have this down to a fine art.

I downloaded the form from Zeiss site and it was very simple. It invites you to go online and get the process rolling on their website so that you $100 cash card will be processed more quickly. You need your product serial number before you can get online and register (so you must purchase product first) Once you do the online registration you are bombarded by a myriad of new (previously unpublicized) requirements.

One of the requirements if for a receipt that shows the full product info, including the retailer address AND your address. How many retailers put your address on the receipt.

I sent off my rebate package with a copy of the sales receipt and a copy of the address label from the delivery package - they require that the delivery address be the same as the address on the rebate form and the receipt.

Anyway, after a couple of weeks I get an email saying my rebate is being denied because I did not include a receipt. I did include one, so I assume they mean that I did not include one that had my address on it. I may reapply, but I have only a week to do so.

I have asked the retailer to send me a receipt that contains all the required info. Don't know if he will or not.

I am now interested to see if they will decline again, and for what spurious reason.

Experiences like this really turn you off a company. The effort I have put into this process is in no way worth the $100 I will get out of it.

Zeiss products are no bargain, and they are not so far ahead of the pack in terms of performance that I would stay loyal to the brand. For reference, I have a pair of Bushnell compact binoculars that are incredible in all light conditions.

Anyway, after being conned into buying a product on the basis of an easy to get rebate that turns out to be a labor intensive impossible to get rebate, Zeiss can say goodby to my future business.

You have been warned

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 14:43
That really sucks.  Good Luck and let us know how it ends up. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 14:43
Hate you had that trouble but companies ask for the reciept with an address to ensure that there aren't several people in that house getting a rebate, most rebates are reserved 1 per household.  Not sure what merchant it was (dont' want to know) but I know SWFA (the folks that run this site) do put the address on there.  Again sorry you had trouble but my experience with any companies rebate has been great.  You provide all your info they ask for and you get a check/gift card/product.  
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 15:27
I've also had good luck with mail in rebates, what I like even better are the instant rebates.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
DonDavis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 15:39
Yes, instant rebates are the way to go - that is what they have on the Conquest 3-9x40 scope right now.

My gripe is that they go out of their way to make things as awkward as possible for the customer. If you do a local purachase and Cabelas or the like, all you get is a crude printed out receipt from a cash register. If they are a long way from home, then what are you gonna do once you find out the TRUE rebate conditions when you log on.

This all seems very underhand to me.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 08:07
Don't you just love the ones that send the papper work back & tell you where's the bar code from the box?BS Flag
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 09:09
Doubt this will make you feel any better, but....   Typically it is not the actual company in this case Zeiss, that sells the product that is doing the rebates.  They hire a rebate company to handle this stuff, and many times they make it extremely difficult to get the rebates.  I build computers for a side job and for my banks so I am always trying to get the rebates for computer parts and I bet 50% of the time I don't get them because of some crap like this. 

Personally I don't look at rebates anymore as a way to save some money if I buy that product.  I just buy the product I want or need and if it comes with a rebate I figure I got a 50% chance to save a little.  But I don't let the rebate help me decide any more. 

But I would call and complain to Zeiss and make sure they know what is going on and that they have a problem. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Hitthespot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitthespot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 09:41
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Personally I don't look at rebates anymore as a way to save some money if I buy that product.  I just buy the product I want or need and if it comes with a rebate I figure I got a 50% chance to save a little.  But I don't let the rebate help me decide any more. 

But I would call and complain to Zeiss and make sure they know what is going on and that they have a problem. 
I agree.  I purchase the product I want first based on what I'm looking for.  If it happens to come with a rebate then possibly I'll get some money back.  A rebate doesn't affect my purchasing decision a whole heck of a lot.

I must admit though, after I purchased the product if I didn't get the rebate promised, or it turned into a huge effort, I would be upset, and yes it's happened to me!  It does leave you disapointed in that company, and I somethimes wonder if they realize the damage they can do to their good name and brand recognition.

Bill
DonDavis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 11:12
Yes, Zeiss really should take a close look at this. The basic rebate form that you print off their site has very few conditions. They tempt you to do the online registration by telling you that you will be paid quicker. Once you get online and put in your product serial number a whole slew of new conditions are thrust upon you. Since you've already made the purchase, many of the conditions will be difficult, or impossible, to meet.

I sent in the bar cade from the box with my rebate form, along with a receipt clearly identifying the retailer and the product, and the address label from the package - identifying me and the retailer.

They don't need a receipt with my address on to avoid paying out twice - they have the bar code from the box, and the serial number of the individual product. Clearly this is all designed to avoid making payment.

This is not a $10 or $20 rebate, it is a $100 rebate, so it was a significant part of the purchase decision. In fact i was about to purchase Leica, and it was the $100 rebate that swayed me to Zeiss.

Just like BP cannot pass the buck to the sub-contractors, Zeiss cannot pass the buck to whatever scumbag outfit they have contracted to handle their rebates. Zeiss are responsible.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 12:51
Sometimes you just have to call the rebate company and be extremely firm on the phone with them.  Keep asking for the person you are talking to's supervisor.  Sometimes that works.  To me it seems like rebates are just a way to suck you in and then screw you in the end.  I hate the damn things.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
DonDavis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 14:47
Yes, I know people who refuse to purchase products with mail in rebates just out of principle that they know they will get screwed or will have to make an incredible effort to get paid.

With a supposedly reputable company such as Zeiss, I expected better; especially when i seen the nice simple rebate form that they publicize BEFORE you purchase the product.

Screwed again. Zeiss will lose a lot of business on this. I am very vocal and will tell every shooter and wildlife enthusiast I know about Zeiss' unethical business practices.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 15:10
Can you take the zeiss back and get the Leica now?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
DonDavis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 15:27
Good point. Not sure what the exchange policy is at the store, but it is less than 30 days since my purchase.

The dealer is refusing to issue a new invoice that shows my address.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 15:28

then you hassle with zeiss would be over.

DonDavis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 16:14
Yes, my hassle with Zeiss will be over. Frankly I have no desire to deal with such a sleaxy organization.

The poor dealer will have to contact Zeiss and tell them why a customer rejectd the product.

Teh CC company will certainly support my refund claim. This represents breach of contract - get you to purchase a product by dangling a nice simple rebate form, then pull it away and substitude one where you can't possibly meet the conditions.

If I were any good at uploading such docs I would insert the bait form and the actual form here so that all can see the difference (and it is truly VAST)
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 17:38
Originally posted by DonDavis DonDavis wrote:

Yes, my hassle with Zeiss will be over. Frankly I have no desire to deal with such a sleaxy organization.

The poor dealer will have to contact Zeiss and tell them why a customer rejectd the product.

Teh CC company will certainly support my refund claim. This represents breach of contract - get you to purchase a product by dangling a nice simple rebate form, then pull it away and substitude one where you can't possibly meet the conditions.

If I were any good at uploading such docs I would insert the bait form and the actual form here so that all can see the difference (and it is truly VAST)
It seems like this is a good time for a retailer like SWFA to respond.  I am thinking you would
support the purchaser with a thing like this and the transaction would go through smoothly.
Another reason to purchase here.Smile
Anything to add here?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 17:50
Hey DonDavis, I realize this is none of my busines, but I took the liberty to post your complaint on another forum I frequent, and got this response from a guy at Zeiss.  I think it's worth a shot to contact him, let both barrels fire, and maybe he can help get this resolved.  Please let us know how it turns out.  

JGRaider: Doug from C-land forwarded me your post. I would like to offer my help to review your rebate and discuss your experience. 
In order to lookup your rebate file, please contact me at mkurzezeiss.com 

Michael
DonDavis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 19:24
I just email the Zeiss dude - we'll see what he has to say
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 07:10
JG. Good looking out man.
mkurze View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkurze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 09:38
Don - JGRaider made me aware of your post. Looks like things did not went the way as they should have in your case and I am truly sorry for your experience.  I wanted to reach out to you and offer my help. In order to lookup your rebate file, please contact me at mkurzezeiss.com or send me a private message.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic