OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Howdy, looking for info on fixed 4x scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgcurrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Howdy, looking for info on fixed 4x scope
    Posted: October/27/2005 at 20:43

Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I am looking for some info.  I am thinking about buying my first serious scope and am looking at fixed 4x scopes.  I would like to keep it under $300 so right now I am looking at the Nikon Monarch 4x40, Leupold FX-II 4x33 and the IOR 4x32.  Any coments on these?  Suggestions on others I should look at?  Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

rgc

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2005 at 04:45

Welcome aboard!

I like the Monarch and the IOR fixed power, FWIW.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2005 at 07:00
Well, I know that Weaver makes a 4.75 x 40 Grand Slam scope that I was considering. The only downside to it is that is doesnt have a lot of eye relief and it cost about as much as the GS 3-9x40 so why not just by the 3-9x40 and leave it on 4 power and still have the option to go to 6 or higher if needed. If you are looking for a very compact , short light 4x32 for a light rifle check out the Sightron SII in 4x32. I dont have a Sightron but I have heard they are very good and I am going to get the 4x32 for my Marlin 30-30 brush gun because it is just over 9 inches long and it mounts very low. As a matter of fact it seems like the Sightrons use the same low profile scope tubes and eye bells as Leupold does. They even have long eye relief like Leupold does but again they cost as much as their larger 3-9x42 model but it is very light and compact. SWFA said they could get me one for $184.00.
TwoLaneBlackTop View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoLaneBlackTop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2005 at 14:05
I like the IOR 4x32 myself, as of writing this SWFA has it for $266.95 and thats a great deal considering the overall quality.   Click here for link to the IOR 4x32 on riflescopes.com

The next step up from the IOR in terms of quality would be a Kahles 4x36, but they sell for $598.95, and are only slightly better overall than the IOR 4x32. If I was wanting a good fixed 4 power I would get the IOR and not look back.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2005 at 18:14
IOR 4x32 is an excellent scope and you'd be hard pressed to do better than that optically.  A much more expensive Kahles 4x36 is marginally if any better. 

Sightron S2 4x32 would be my pick if I wanted to keep it under $200 (or if IOR is out of the picture for any reason).

Ilya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic