OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which scope to buy???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rather be fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which scope to buy???
    Posted: August/11/2010 at 09:33
So long story short, Leupold is replacing a scope for me, and I am planning on upgrading.

I am going to go with the vx-3 line of scopes, and am trying to decide between two.

One is the VX-3  4.5-14x40 with the side parallax adjustment, and the 30mm tube.

The other is the 4.5-14x50 with no adjustment, and the one inch tube.  

What are your opinions, and why.  I have narrowed these two down based on price, and really do not plan on spending any more.  

Oh, this scope will be going on a Browning A-bolt in a 300 win mag.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 09:39
I'd say the no adjustment one inch tube.  Less moving parts inside to break under the heavy recoil of that gun.  Of course if you do a lot of different range shooting the adjustable would be good as well but still less is sometimes more on heavy recoilers.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 09:40

BTW welcome to the OT. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 10:28
I'm assunming this is a hunting rifle? If yes +1 on the smaller no adjustment 1" scope. I see it as lighter and less knobs to be fiddling with as well as the less to break argument. Just my .02
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 10:43
14X on the top and no parallax adjustment??? I was under the impression that most anything over 10X or so could be an issue. Welcome to OT!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 11:02
I'd go with the 30mm tube, if the cost is the same.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 12:24
For hunting I would go with the 1 inch tube and the larger objective, basically for the same reasons as above.  I have always liked the larger objective lenses for hunting.  Good Luck!

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
rather be fishing View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rather be fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 13:17
It is going on a hunting rifle, and for what it's worth, the rifle has a muzzle break on it to, well uh, "tame the recoil a bit.  
The price difference is as follows...

4.5-14x50 with 1" tube, no adj...$660.00

4.5-14x40 w/ 30" tube, adj parallax ...$680.00

It is replacing an old simmons whitetail classic 3.5-10x50 (holds zero well, but lets little to no light in).

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rather be fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 13:18
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

14X on the top and no parallax adjustment??? I was under the impression that most anything over 10X or so could be an issue. Welcome to OT!

I have heard a little about this.  How true is it? 

Keep in mind, as it would be fun, I will probably not be taking 1000 yrd shots at deer, even if the gun can do it.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 16:43
Sorry not paying attention I don't care for 50mm scopes so I would probably reverse my position.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 17:02
Welcome to OT,for hunting I'd go with the 1"
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 19:45
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I'd go with the 30mm tube, if the cost is the same.

+1 on the 30mm; with Leupold glass the side focus may come in handy on anything over the 9 to 10 power range IMO. 
Enough is to much.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rather be fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 20:04
So it looks pretty even.  This is why I am asking.  It is a tough decision.  I guess can we try to break down some real world positives and negatives of 

1... the larger objective

and 

2... the side focus?

Thanks for bearing with me on this.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic