OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold QR rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold QR rings
    Posted: August/10/2010 at 22:30
OK guys Ive always used dual dove tail setups. I'm wonting to mount my new vx 7 with QR rings so i can remove my scope when in storage. I'm looking at the Leupold setup. Can anyone chime in on any experience with these rings. Ive been told the scope will maintain very close if not remain zeroed after removal and re installation. Forgive me if this has been covered on this forum i was just seeking reviews. I will be lapping the rings. Thanks gentlemen     
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 02:16
I am using them. They hold close to zero. I would suggest that after re-fitting you check your zero before hunting. This is something we all mostly do anyway.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 02:49
I have had several sets of them on several rifles and have worn out some of them so they are not as sturdy long term as I would have liked. There are some quick release setups that are geared more toward tactical use than hunting but are much better. La Rue makes the best. GG&G makes some that are very good also. I have heard Bobro are good but I have not used them. As for hunting version rings I suppose if I were to need quick release and didnt want the tactical look I would go Talley http://swfa.com/Talley-Quick-Detachable-Scope-1-Rings-wLever-C768.aspx  I wont be buying any more of Leupolds quick release rings.   I dont think you will need to lapp the "Talley rings they are very well made.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/11/2010 at 02:51

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 10:35
Warne QD Weaver style rings and bases.  Will cost you about the same.  That's what I changed over to.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 16:52
I use them on my Thompson Contenders so that I can use one scope for several barrels. I have a laminated card that I made to tell me where to adjust the scope for each barrel. They work great. You might be 1/2 an MOA or something off when you remove and reinstall it but you will be very close. 
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 21:40
I use the leupold QRW rings on my muzzleloader for ease of cleaning. over the corse of a 5 day hunt i take the scope off every night to unload and clean the gun do to the fact of all the moisture hunting in the snow. they always have gone back to zero.
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 23:37
thanks for the good info. Im gonna look into those Warn QD rings 
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic