OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

vx-3 1.5-5x20 vs 1.75-6x32 low light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vx-3 1.5-5x20 vs 1.75-6x32 low light
    Posted: August/10/2010 at 15:37
would there be any noticeable difference between a 1.5-5x20 and a 1.75-6x32 vx-3 in low light? I want the more compact 20mm for my marlin 336, but if theres a difference I could live with the bigger 32mm.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2010 at 16:48
I've posted before that I'm a big fan of the lower powered leupolds, that being said I believe you'll be better off with a 32mm variant if you are truly concerned about low light performance.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2010 at 16:56
I run the 32mm Leupy on my ML and it's a nice little scope.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2010 at 17:12
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

I run the 32mm Leupy on my ML and it's a nice little scope.

Shocked
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2010 at 17:36
My short action Lott....................Bandito
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2010 at 18:29
I think magnification is important for low light, and I also think that having a large exit pupil is advantageous.  When looking at objects in very low light with a 3 or 4 mm exit pupil, it takes me several seconds to fully see what is available.  Conversely, using the same magnificaton with a larger exit pupil allows me to see what is available much more quickly.

Of the two scopes, when compared at 4x, the 20 mm objective will have a 5 mm exit pupil where the 32 mm objective has an 8 mm exit pupil.  I would choose the larger objective.

Tom

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2010 at 18:39
If memory serves me correctly,the human eye has a max of 5mm exit pupil,so I guess it makes no difference which scope you choose.Call SWFA they can confirm or disprove my statement or maybe someone more knowledgable will jump in!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
dale.l View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2010 at 19:23
From what I have researched so far the eye can only use 5mm exit pupil. 2 the coating on the glass is more important than the objective size. even tho the eye can only use 5mm, a larger objective will give you a clearer image .  so both scopes should be the same to the human eye trasfering light, but the 32mm should have a clearer image in low light               

Dose that make sence?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2010 at 19:53
Here's the rub so to speak. With both scope's set at 5X the 20mm will have a EP of 4mm and the 32mm will have almost 6.5mm worth of EP. That is a huge difference when it comes to low light performance. Even if your eye couldn't utilize all that EP, a larger EP generally offers greater flexibility in eye placement (meaning latitude) which helps much in quick target acquisition.
dale.l View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2010 at 19:58
sounds like im getting the 1.75-6x32
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2010 at 20:05
go with the 1.75-6
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2010 at 20:37
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

go with the 1.75-6

me too
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2010 at 21:36
Typical, healthy, human eye can be dilate up to 7mm.  For some people it is a little larger, for some a little smaller.  As you age, you lose some of the ability to dilate the eye pupil but that varies from person to person.

Ultimately, if you care about low light so much, you should just go with a larger objective option and not worry about it any further.

ILya
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 20:08
Well said ILya!
take em!
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 22:50
bigger objective, even with the same glass (say the same scope line), and set at the same magnification will yield a brighter/better image.
I know what people say about exit pupil, but, I have experimented too many times and trust my eyes...

I wish more there more 1.5-6x42s
I would kill for a 12oz Trijicon Accupoint in that spec
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic