OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best compact scope under $400

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best compact scope under $400
    Posted: August/08/2010 at 23:16
I have a marlin 336 30-30 I want to mount a scope. looking for something around 2-7x32 I want to stay smaller than 40mm

Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32

bushnell 3200 2-7x32

leupold vx-II 2-7x33

or other

I would also like to know about there customer service I know leupold would be the best. how does nikon and bushnell compares?

Edited by dale.l - August/08/2010 at 23:37
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 06:04
Right at the moment the 2-7 vortex's that are on sale for 179.00 are probably the best deal around and are considered by many here to be better than the scopes you mentioned. That's probably the way I'd go followed by the leupold off your list.   Just my .02
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 07:12
Vortex Viper stands above all those you've listed and fro less money. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 07:42
Add the burris 2-7x35 FFII to your must look through list.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 09:01
Originally posted by powderburn powderburn wrote:

Right at the moment the 2-7 vortex's that are on sale for 179.00 are probably the best deal around and are considered by many here to be better than the scopes you mentioned. That's probably the way I'd go followed by the leupold off your list.   Just my .02

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Vortex Viper stands above all those you've listed and [for] less money.

Harrumph!  

Vortex also is widely regarded as having exceptional customer service.

Given the criteria you listed, no other scope comes close to the 2-7 Viper.

FC

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 10:39
You also may find a used kahles Cl 2-7X36 in the $400.00 range, this is the best 1" 2-7 scope I know of.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 11:03
Originally posted by dale.l dale.l wrote:

Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32

bushnell 3200 2-7x32

leupold vx-II 2-7x33

I would also like to know about there customer service I know leupold would be the best. how does nikon and bushnell compares?

Between the three you have listed, I'd consider either Leupold or Nikon. Their customer service is one of the best in business, no questions asked. I personally like bushnells and use them mostly on airguns but if something does go wrong, you are to catch hell, guaranteed, as far as time it takes and headache in general. Bushnell always tries to find a way to screw their customers. And they do it quite well...

There are some other options, as some of the posters mantion, but I tries to answer what you asked....good luck.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 12:03
+1 for the Vortex & Kahles
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 12:09
Having owned the Leupold and 3200 as well as the Viper 2-7x32, I can easily recommend either the VX-II or the Viper over the other two.
The Viper is better than the Leupold in my opinion and is on sale for $175 at the moment. I just sold a VX-II 2-7x33 and bought two Viper 2-7x32's.

Josh
dale.l View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 14:47
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 14:50
Two of my favorites,  I really like the lower powered leupolds.
dale.l View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 14:58
is the vx-3 up graded form the vx-II vx-III  or is it for marketing
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 15:13
It's definately an upgrade in optics.
NRV View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 20:08
I know that they aren't as popular here, but I recently got a 2-8x32 Monarch and love it.  I don't have a Viper to compare it to though.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 20:47
The new monarchs were pretty "hot and heavy" here a few years back when they were first introduced. Since then some newer and just as good scopes have stolen some of the spot light.  The monarchs are still very nice scopes.
rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 21:20
The Vipers are $169 now. For 20 dollars more though you can get the Diamondback, 14 more feet (field of view) and a 35mm objective instead of 32. I have a Crossfire on my .22LR and the Diamondback on the .22mag. Both are excellent.
RK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic