OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Proper Base for my Savage Mod. 16 Weather Warrior.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Proper Base for my Savage Mod. 16 Weather Warrior.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper Base for my Savage Mod. 16 Weather Warrior.
    Posted: August/08/2010 at 18:56
Well I just can't seem to get there; I had decided to use a set of Warne Tactical Rings that I have just acquired to mount one of my VX-3's to the new Savage that we have been speaking of.

Here's the problem; so far with the area that the rings consume I have not found a base that will allow for the short length of the scope even though it is a short action. I ordered and received two of Warne's M904M bases that will work but stick out over the bolt area.

I know that some times this is the way it goes but from what I can see if the rings and bases would stop just at the opening of the bolt it would be idea. I just hate the patch work look that the hang over offers.

Can anyone recommended bases that will get all the inside reach that is possible with out overhang I would even consider solid rail if it were cut away to allow full access to the bolt area.     
Enough is to much.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 05:12

Rep take a look at Bench Source or Deadnutz.

froggy
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 05:59
REP I share your pain, The SA savage action ring spacing is actually longer than my LA Ruger. I have been considering one of the 2-7 vortex's but it would require a 1 pc. base which I don't really want. I did find a 1 pc. at B Square but the cut out is only partial if this helps any.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 07:13
I use talley lightweight mounts on my savage SA and haven't had any troubles with access to the chamber area.  I know you are only really looking for a base but you may consider them as an alternative and use the rings for something else, or return them if you can.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 08:14
Originally posted by rjtfroggy rjtfroggy wrote:

Rep take a look at Bench Source or Deadnutz.

WOW; I had a look at the Bench Source and plain to call them today with a few questions. The first impression I got was HOW TALL ARE THOSE THINGS ANYWAY?

They look like a 1/2" or something plus another 1/2'' for the rings. Is this the case? Speaking as a life time hunter who knows little about the world of bench shooting; what is the deal or does it just look that high in the photos?

They also show a rail that was interesting with a cut out for the bolt. This would be ideal if it allows proper bolt Clearance and is not as tall as they look on the site.
Enough is to much.
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 08:16
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I use talley lightweight mounts on my savage SA and haven't had any troubles with access to the chamber area.  I know you are only really looking for a base but you may consider them as an alternative and use the rings for something else, or return them if you can.

Thanks; do you happen to have a link that I can check out?
Enough is to much.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 08:47
http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/cgi-bin/public_controller.cgi 
The light weights are great cause they are base and ring in one.  I use them on all 4 of my Savages, Long and Short action!  SWFA carries them too!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 09:53
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic