OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.17 HMR rifle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .17 HMR rifle?
    Posted: August/08/2010 at 10:38
Probably going with a Savage .17 this go around. Any other opinons out there?
I'm looking for a wood stock and want to spend around $450. 

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 10:42
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 11:18
get another czBucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 13:35
It's a shooter and .17HMR is fun to shoot!  If you decide not to get the Savage, the CZs are hard to beat for the money... but you already know that!

Another rifle I'd take a hard look at is the Browning T-Bolt Varmint.  Not only is it available in .17 HMR, but it is also available in a LEFT HAND version!

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=021B&cat_id=025&type_id=185&content=t-bolt-target/varmint-left-hand-firearms

I have a standard model in .22LR and I love it!  Mine is super accurate, and I've always liked the straight pull bolt action.  It's very smooth and fast!

It's more expensive than the Savage or CZ, though.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 14:05
Thanks, Ted and Pyro.

You know, I did look at a few CZ's and they look great as well.   
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 19:53
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 20:26
If Savage I would tend to go stainless but I wouldnt count out the marlin either.  I have had 22 bolt guns in Marlin and Savage and the Marlin shot better, naturally I had the Marlin first and thought I could do better with a Savage - oops the lure of the thumb hole stock got me.  I really like the CZ it has a great traditional feel to the rifle, I do find it odd they dont drill and tap the reciever though but their own brand dovetail rings are quite nice.  I have never had the TBolt Browning but in a lefty it would shure be cool for you and might be worth the extra so good idea Ted. My cheap streak leans toward the less expensive ones and I know Wally World even sells some cheap.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 21:46
I have a Marlin 917VS and it shoot great.  I guess I went with the cheaper option, but have never regretted it.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 23:01
Savage is hard to beat as far as out of box accuracy goes. Great barrels, great accutriggers. I am super happy with all my Savages. But of course, if I had the extra buck, I'd be buying Coopers Big Grin
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2010 at 23:48
I was a little disappointed when I found out those Cooper targets were not 100 yd targets they are something like 35 yds with a a 30 or 35 power Leupold target scope. At 35 yds I could print a pretty dam good target with open sights on a cheap 22. Rather took the Cooper off the wish list. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 02:50
This is one Ive been considering, I wish I could see it first hand though. Its 555.00 which seems like a good buy to me. Its a very nice looking 17HMR, oh and it comes in 22 LR too. I wish it had a stainless barrel though..
CZ 452 Thumbhole Varmint
VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 11:08
I like this one in .17HMR Wink

VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 11:11
Or this one...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 14:11
VYD, thanks for the recommendation, but isn't that rig the same Sav I linked earlier, or is it differant?
VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 14:43
Oh yeah, it does look like it's the same model. Sorry, I missed your link. Have you decide yet?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 16:09
No, I'm going to add some bling to my existing arsenal and will buy when that's done.
Appreciate the traffic. I'm probably going with a Savage this go around.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 16:12
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

No, I'm going to add some bling to my existing arsenal and will buy when that's done.
Appreciate the traffic. I'm probably going with a Savage this go around.
Yippee Getcha some brother. Excellent
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 16:34
Hey, Savage has more options for us "leftards",
I'm feelin Southpaw love from The Indian...
;)
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 16:38
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Hey, Savage has more options for us "leftards",
I'm feelin Southpaw love from The Indian... Indian
;)
Laugh
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2010 at 12:13
And oh Goodness, I definitely like this one!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic