OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

side focus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txhunter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: side focus
    Posted: August/06/2010 at 09:01

Are the scopes with side focus adjustments more complicated than the standard up/down-siside adjustments?  Would this creat problems or more time for hunting or once it is ser and zeroed in am I good to go.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 12:14
it all depends on the user and what your use to and comfortable using.  Perfect example is the Standard 10X SS they come with side or rear focus.  some like the side some like the rear.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 16:41
Originally posted by txhunter2 txhunter2 wrote:

Are the scopes with side focus adjustments more complicated than the standard up/down-siside adjustments?  Would this creat problems or more time for hunting or once it is ser and zeroed in am I good to go.

yes, you would have one more dial to dick around with at the worst time. just cause you have it set at say 100yds doesnt mean the deer or whatever will come in at that range, and by the time you adjust it the shot of a lifetime passed you by.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 16:44
Course if you set it at 100 or 150 yards it would be no different than a scope with fixed parallax that is set at that distance by the factory. 

For the typical shooting distances of hunting big game there is no need to get a scope that has one.  You really don't need one til you get over 10 to 12x anyway unless you are shooting long range and looking for extreme accuracy. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 17:38
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Course if you set it at 100 or 150 yards it would be no different than a scope with fixed parallax that is set at that distance by the factory. 

For the typical shooting distances of hunting big game there is no need to get a scope that has one.  You really don't need one til you get over 10 to 12x anyway unless you are shooting long range and looking for extreme accuracy. 

while that may be true, more than likely it wont be set there as you well know. i totally agree with what you wrote below.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2010 at 23:01
Originally posted by txhunter2 txhunter2 wrote:

It sounds like from your question that you think the side focus has something to do with the adjustment of the reticle, like in zeroing your scope.  It does not.  The side focus will just make your image clearer and remove parallax.  It does the same thing as the parallax focus on the front objective end of the scope.

Like was said, if you have a scope that goes over 10 or 12 power, adjusting the parallax out has an advantage.  The side focus is much easier to use than a objective lens parallax adjustment and I prefer them.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 20:30
side adjustable objectives usually have one more glass group after the objective, thus more complicated in this regard as it needs some type of gearing mechanism, whereas a front AO may typically just move the front lens in and out. Also as the distance increases the incremental correction of the lense decreases so leaving an AO at just less than the infinity setting will give acceptable hunting corrections.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

cornhuskid View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornhuskid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2010 at 10:27
... and with side focus you will have slightly less light making it to your eye.  I prefer the side focus as I've got short arms!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic